I picked up a fender hot rod deluxe 40 watt off of craigslist for $325. I played it there, everything works. I took it to my friend's house and, I'm not sure if this has to do with the rattling or not, but he hasn't used a lot of tube amps so he turned the volume and the master quite a ways up. After this whenever I turned the reverb up it made this bad sound like the dog whistle app on itunes. Then I started to hear a rattling inside of the amp. I think its one of the tubes because it only rattles on certain notes. The 6L6 tubes don't have a brand on them but the smaller ones to the side are "Groove" brand.
The 6L6 Groove Tubes are standard issue for this amp. It is true you can get tube rattle, especially with some of these Fenders. If you are sure it is a tube and not the reverb pan or a loose screw etc, there may be some things you can do using tube guards or retainers.

you can try swapping the power tubes around
you can try running the amp into an extension cabinet and distance the cab from amp
you can try cleaning the reverb pan connections with contact cleaner
you can try other stuff I can't think of right now
did the amp come with the foam tube support? there is a foam piece that fits over the preamp tubes that should come with those amps to prevent this. you can order one from any authorized fender dealer. should fix you right up if you don't have it.

there are also foam rings that sit between the power tubes and the harness that holds them in place, if those are gone there is a greater chance of rattle.
lemme find a pic of one i took for 311 when he had rattle issues...

edit: see the little black foam ring that's in the harness? do you have those on your amp?
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 30, 2010,
I tried to get one of the big ones off but I'm too afraid I'm going to shatter it...gonna take it in to GC. But when I knock on the wood behind all of the controls it makes the same sound.
Ok I'll try to get it on my camera but it will be crappy...I just turned it on and it made a sound like a tea kettle so i turned it off. I'll link the sound when I upload it.
the whistling is probably a tube that`s gone microphonic, best solution for that is you need to replace them.
Quote by ibanezgod1973
the whistling is probably a tube that`s gone microphonic, best solution for that is you need to replace them.

Yeah thats what I figured...the guy said they were fairly old and I'd probably need to replace them soon. I just encountered another problem...when I unscrewed the screws that are like stabilizing the tube, Some kind of small metal plate or something slide over the hole where the screw is supposed to go in...I also noticed all the tubes have black residue on the inside that looks like when a bomb goes off in a movie or soemthing

edit: yeah i just took the tubes out, 1 of the big ones and 1 of the small ones make the noise of a burnt out lightbulb when I shake them. So should I replace them all at once or just the bad ones? What brand should I get? Links?
Last edited by bobbymcgee69 at Aug 1, 2010,
those tubes are dead if there`s charring on the glass, don`t power up the amp again until you`ve replaced the tubes. i`m surprised there isn`t a fuse thats blown too `cos that should stop the amp from being turned on.
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Aug 1, 2010,
So yeah i just took the tubes out, 1 of the big ones and 1 of the small ones make the noise of a burnt out lightbulb when I shake them. So should I replace them all at once or just the bad ones? What brand should I get? Links?
my jet cuty amp does this, the tubes are microphonic. just get new tubes and it should be fixed. my amp also has spring reverb, but i took it out when i tried to diagnose the problem and the rattling still happened.

EDIT: exactly as i thought, especially if youre getting the dead light bulb noise lol sounds worse than my tubes. tubedepot.com. replacing all of them would be a good idea, and idk what brand to tell you to get, its a matter of taste, and i just dont know about 6l6s anyway
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Last edited by Linqua5150 at Aug 1, 2010,
Quote by ibanezgod1973
those tubes are dead if there`s charring on the glass, don`t power up the amp again until you`ve replaced the tubes. i`m surprised there isn`t a fuse thats blown too `cos that should stop the amp from being turned on.

+1

take it to a tech before more damage is done
I have a Peavey Ultra that does the same thing. I think it might be something with the reverb tank on mine. I doubt the volume issue had anything to do with the current problem.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
common rattles in a combo amp:

-cabinet/chassis: the junction between the cabinet and the chassis should be secured. if not, there will be rattle between them.
-speaker baffle: weak baffles tend to rattle when the speaker is played loudly.
-tubes: when the tubes are right behind the speaker, it will rattle a bit. when a tube isn't seated correctly in the socket, or not properly secured, it will rattle, and the life span of the tube will be cut short. if there is a spring retainer, and the tube itself makes contact with the retainer, that's also bad news. it'll make the amp rattle.
-power filter caps: if the filter caps (usually the biggest in the amp) are not properly secured (either glue/epoxy or just wire ties) and the cap itself vibrates against the board, you'll find some rattle also.
-hardwood floor: if your amp has some hard feet (hard rubber, or metal) then you'll need something to dampen the vibration. this will make things rattle.
-weak wall: walls rattle at certain frequencies too. rather annoying, but most of the time you'll know if the rattle is coming from the wall or the amp itself.

im sure there's a lot more.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard