Hey guys.

The other day i decided it was time i stopped messing about with covers in my room all day, and started making my own songs in my room all day and then recording them. So i went and got myself a microphone and an audio recording interface.

The mic i chose was an SE4400a. Its apparantly an 'all rounder' mic which can nicely record guitars, drums, bass and vocals. The thing is i'm a bit confused on how to best use the mic to its full potential. There are a few different settings on its front which allow you to sellect things like 'rolloff', 'decibels', and patterns such as 'cardioid', 'super cardiod' , 'omni' and 'figure 8'.

I want to get the most out of using this mic and i'm don't have a clue about any of these settings so if someone with a bit of experience could help me out i'd be greateful. Also if anyone has any tips on positioning mics in front of amps it would be great.

Also here's a small 2 minute video on the mic which states its main features, but in a way that i don't understand.

Thanks
Are You Shpongled..?
Yo, I have posted this on your other thread in guitar gear but I thought I'd post it here as well in case you didnt see the other.

Rolloff is essentially a filter (high or Low pass) rolloff on most mics means a bass filter.

I'm assuming that what it means by decibels ic is essentially a pad which means that if it's in or out it will boost or cut the mic by however many decibels.

Cardioid, Super Cardioid, Omni and Fig 8 are polar patterns. Essentially in which direction the mic is picking up sound.

Cardioid: Heart shaped sensetivity pattern, basically picks up a lot in front of the mic, a little to the sides and very little or non to the back

Super Cardioid: Variation of Cardioid, again most sensitive at the front while rejecting sounds entering 150 degrees to the rear.

Omni (Omnidirectional): Picks up equally in the 360 degree radius around the mic

Figure 8: Sort of like two Cardioids back to back, picks up from the 'Front' and 'Rear' but rejects from the sides

Hope that helps!
Thanks alot man. I saw it in my other thread and it's pretty much everything i need for now! :P
Are You Shpongled..?