what should tubes look like when heated up? should they be glowing a faint red? i heard if they glow red they are biased too hot.
Red is not good. Just about every other colour under the sun is ok but not red. Check the biasing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
its not red hot like well....im trying to find an example. you know pictured of guys forging metal? and its like glowing molten hot? not quite like that.

its like when you turn a light bulb off in a dark room, and you can see the coils cooling down and its like a dull orangy- reddish glow.

i just want to make sure im not pushing them too hard, cause its a 22 watt and i drive it hard when i play with guys (have to crank it to play over drums) and i drive distortion pedals through it. so i dont want to overstrain my amp.

the amp does get pretty hot (if its on for a while and you touch the face) and when it really gets warmed up it breaks up ALOT because the clean channel breaks up and sounds just as overdrive as teh drive channel, but the drive channel is deeper with more saturation.

its a bugera v22. ive heard they come with lower quality tubes and can be unbiased from the factory. it doesnt sound bad, i just want it tip top.
Wouldn't think it should break up as much as the gain channel, but it should a bit. Goes with being tubes. Still sounding like they are a little hot, hissing or anything of the sort?
This looks a bit suspect to me but I have a feeling whoever took the picture left the exposure on longer than normal. That power tube may be red-plating and that is what Cathbard was saying. If a power tube glows bright red like that then you have a problem. Turn the amp off and get it serviced.

Cath - what do you think of this pic?
Quote by ikey_
its not red hot like well....im trying to find an example. you know pictured of guys forging metal? and its like glowing molten hot? not quite like that.

its like when you turn a light bulb off in a dark room, and you can see the coils cooling down and its like a dull orangy- reddish glow.

i just want to make sure im not pushing them too hard, cause its a 22 watt and i drive it hard when i play with guys (have to crank it to play over drums) and i drive distortion pedals through it. so i dont want to overstrain my amp.

the amp does get pretty hot (if its on for a while and you touch the face) and when it really gets warmed up it breaks up ALOT because the clean channel breaks up and sounds just as overdrive as teh drive channel, but the drive channel is deeper with more saturation.

its a bugera v22. ive heard they come with lower quality tubes and can be unbiased from the factory. it doesnt sound bad, i just want it tip top.

lolwut??
Gibson Grand Concert Acoustic
roland AC90

I mean this one time I was jacking it pertty hard and was making noises and what not

You, my friend, are a genius!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
This looks a bit suspect to me but I have a feeling whoever took the picture left the exposure on longer than normal. That power tube may be red-plating and that is what Cathbard was saying. If a power tube glows bright red like that then you have a problem. Turn the amp off and get it serviced.

Well if that's a good representation of real life I'd be reaching for the bias probe real quick.
The purple flourescence is pretty cool though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by ikey_

Putting a distortion pedal through your amp doesn't drive it any harder, unless you use it as a signal boost with the level up and the gain down.

In that amp, you would do well to replace the stock tubes regardless of their functionality, because they simply don't sound good compared to JJs, Tungsols, NOS, etc.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I'm willing to bet someone put the shutter speed slow enough to capture all of the light better.

Quote by ethan_hanus
This is how my tubes glow, took the picture when I put in a fresh pair of 6l6's. This is healthy, and a bit on the skinny side.

This is better.
I have a huge fear if rays.
ok thats cool. yeah my tubes look like the correct pics. and yeah i plan on getting new tubes.

and yes i do use my pedal with volume up and gain down as a boost. actually i just bought a boss EQ to do this, and then i will use my distortion pedal for actual distorion sounds.
If your tubes are blue, that's basically your amp's way of having an orgasm. Otherwise, yeah, bright red is bad.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Last edited by MortifiedLizard at Jul 30, 2010,