Page 1 of 2
Hey all
I currently am on an iMac, and was wondering if it was worth it to buy Windows 7? it would cost like 150$ and I'd only use it for gaming sometimes, maybe a tiny bit of fruity loops also, though probably not even... Do you know any cheaper alternative? I tried to see if I could get windows XP, but the only official retailers I could find sell it for the same price as windows 7...
I dual boot (Bootcamp FTW!) Windows 7 and MacOSX on my iMac and MacBook Pro. I don't have any compatibility issues now.

Do it.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Could also try using wine to see if some games will work without having to install windows, I use wine on OSX and on Linux and works really well for me
All right, thanks =)
I am going with my mom at costo this afternoon, because that's where it'll be the cheapest... I actually do have spare money right now and have satisfied all my GAS, so I probably will give it a shot, it just sucks that it's so expensive... there was a student discount, but only for an upgrade, which is pretty retarded. The upgrade costs 60 bucks if you go to university; since I'm on a mac, I have to pay 3 times that price lol -_-''
Quote by Darkflame
All right, thanks =)
I am going with my mom at costo this afternoon, because that's where it'll be the cheapest... I actually do have spare money right now and have satisfied all my GAS, so I probably will give it a shot, it just sucks that it's so expensive... there was a student discount, but only for an upgrade, which is pretty retarded. The upgrade costs 60 bucks if you go to university; since I'm on a mac, I have to pay 3 times that price lol -_-''

Apple are having real deals for students. Microsoft don't seem to get it.

Oh, and make sure you have Snow Leopard (10.6)
10.5 won't let you install Windows 7.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by Darkflame
All right, thanks =)

surely as a mac user you should be used to paying three times the price

ooooh cheap shot

seriously though a friend of mine does it with XP and it works fine, the way microsoft have engineered 7 means it should be equally fine.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
^I did pay a lot for this computer, but it'll last me a veeery long time lol, and it was definitely worth it
My dad's an informatician, has always been on Windows, and I've been using Windows since I'm 3 years old, no kidding. I was previously using a Dell XPS and sincerely, I've never liked it as much as my Mac. Hell, I used to work on Adobe Audition, and I already find Garageband better lol, it's simpler, but it's convenient until I get Logic =)
Enjoy ur overpriced, overrated operating system. You are already jonesin' for Windows. It's a predicted response actually. Enjoying my Wiindows 7/Ubuntu dual boot on a 2k gaming laptop that will flat @#^ smoke any Macbook Proh. Ask mommy, why?
Quote by n2dabloo
Enjoy ur overpriced, overrated operating system. You are already jonesin' for Windows. It's a predicted response actually. Enjoying my Wiindows 7/Ubuntu dual boot on a 2k gaming laptop that will flat @#^ smoke any Macbook Proh. Ask mommy, why?

Most people who have a mac don't really care for computer games.
Quote by darkcheef
Most people who have a mac don't really care for computer games.

But its also one of the reasons that Im going to put windows on my mac, too.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Darkflame
maybe a tiny bit of fruity loops also,

This is silly. There's plenty of DAWs that work with Mac.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

TS, let me warn you. Windows 7 is a steaming pile of shit mixed in with computer code. Honestly, I had it for school cuz we had to rent PCs at my old school. (It wasn't an option, you just did it. I'd have preferred to bring my own PC, but... :sigh: ) I ended up getting one of the new Windows 7 PCs. It was such shit. Don't buy Windows 7. Also, don't buy Windows Vista; it's not as bad, but still shitty.

Get Windows XP. Run a dualboot Mac Leopard OSX and Windows XP with Service Pack 2. XP with SP2 is beautiful, TS. Purely freaking beautiful. Buy that.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Jul 30, 2010,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
TS, let me warn you. Windows 7 is a steaming pile of shit mixed in with computer code. Honestly, I had it for school cuz we had to rent PCs at my old school. (It wasn't an option, you just did it. I'd have preferred to bring my own PC, but... :sigh: ) I ended up getting one of the new Windows 7 PCs. It was such shit. Don't buy Windows 7. Also, don't buy Windows Vista; it's not as bad, but still shitty.

What do you have so against W7? I love it.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

I bought an upgrade disc of Win 7 a while ago when they were doing a student discount sale. Took me a while to find a crack so I could use my legit code to install it, but once I did, it was worth it. I'm running it on my MacBook Pro (ver 10.5) and it works perfectly fine (only issue is with the sound driver, but that will soon be corrected). Now I have the best of both worlds, although I've come to really love the Mac, since I've been on Windows basically my whole life. Just make sure when you partition your hard drive, you give enough space to your Windows side. If you're going to be putting a lot of games and whatnot on, you'll need a good chunk of space.

Also, heres a tip for Win 7: when in doubt, run as administration. Seems like thats the one annoying thing of Win 7, you get issues and errors trying to run things normally, but as soon as you run as admin, it works perfectly fine. I just dont get it sometimes >.>

Who didn't close the gate and let the troll in?
I am twelve and Что это?

Quote by Dopey_Trout
I think the problem you're having is you're trying to apply logic to Christianity, a religion based on a cosmic zombie
Win 7 is not worth $150. I feel sorry for you if you're gonna buy that. Keep in mind Steam is available for OSX now. And why would anyone use Fruity Loops when you can use Logic? It's much more powerful and intuitive.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
I just don't get it. Seriously. Why pay SO much for an operating system (Mac) that doesn't play games, looks ever so drab with no alternatives. My company is wrapped up in macs. It's what we have to deal with on the ship. What a piece of shite! Simple programs like excel give me the spinning wheel of death for hours on end. Granted, it's a Mac Mini, but damn. I'm not asking for much here. I wish my company would have went with Ubuntu instead.
Quote by n2dabloo
I just don't get it. Seriously. Why pay SO much for an operating system (Mac) that doesn't play games, looks ever so drab with no alternatives. My company is wrapped up in macs. It's what we have to deal with on the ship. What a piece of shite! Simple programs like excel give me the spinning wheel of death for hours on end. Granted, it's a Mac Mini, but damn. I'm not asking for much here. I wish my company would have went with Ubuntu instead.

OSX is less than half the price of Windows and less than a quarter for upgrades. And your company sucks at maintaining computers.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
i personally find that the games that are availiable for mac are more than enough to keep me occupied. most that are availiable are the really good games that are popular. KOTOR for example.

other than that Logic is a fantastic program, and i had a windows laptop for ages, and when i went to uni i bought a macbook, and its quite honestly been the best purchase i've made in a long time.

(and it looks better in my bedroom.. which is white
i'm Ginger its fun
Quote by n2dabloo

Because I don't play games often anyway (and have a PC desktop for that), don't think it looks drab (and wouldn't care if I did), don't let my computer reach SWoD tiredness, and like the UNIX underpinnings and ease of use...?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Xiaoxi
OSX is less than half the price of Windows and less than a quarter for upgrades. And your company sucks at maintaining computers.

Agreed.

Don't base your opinion of Macs just one one experience. I've never had any issues with any program having a long loading time, nor has there been a spinning wheel that's lasted more than a few seconds (for me, at least). Macs have a very nice OS, I prefer it over Windows now (after having almost a decade of Windows experience). Not to mention this wasn't a thread about your flawed opinion of Macs compared to your computer of choice. So unless you had something worthwhile to tell the TS (which you obviously didn't), just don't bother. I don't get how some people are unable to resist the urge to go and troll about how "crappy" other things are compared to their own. Would you like a cookie or something? I'm not sure what you're looking to find.
I am twelve and Что это?

Quote by Dopey_Trout
I think the problem you're having is you're trying to apply logic to Christianity, a religion based on a cosmic zombie
Quote by xMetalGodx
Agreed.

Don't base your opinion of Macs just one one experience. I've never had any issues with any program having a long loading time, nor has there been a spinning wheel that's lasted more than a few seconds (for me, at least). Macs have a very nice OS, I prefer it over Windows now (after having almost a decade of Windows experience). Not to mention this wasn't a thread about your flawed opinion of Macs compared to your computer of choice. So unless you had something worthwhile to tell the TS (which you obviously didn't), just don't bother. I don't get how some people are unable to resist the urge to go and troll about how "crappy" other things are compared to their own. Would you like a cookie or something? I'm not sure what you're looking to find.

Oh snap! We have company "shirts" that show up with their Macbook Pros asking me why they can't log on to our ship's computer, or why everything is sooo fukin slow. I let them use my Ubuntu laptop and they are wowed by it's speed and ease of use. Nevermind the graphics goodies (compiz etc...)
Quote by n2dabloo
Oh snap! We have company "shirts" that show up with their Macbook Pros asking me why they can't log on to our ship's computer, or why everything is sooo fukin slow. I let them use my Ubuntu laptop and they are wowed by it's speed and ease of use. Nevermind the graphics goodies (compiz etc...)

wat?
To quote a good redneck friend of mine, "Momma always said that nothing gud in life is free" She never heard of Ubuntu...
You guys see how quickly the mere mention of a computer spawned this? This is why
-We have an ONLY Computer Thread
-We can't have nice things

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by darkcheef
wat?

He obviously works on the starship Enterprise.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
I take it this thread is closed? Like so many others... Oh well, I said my peace. Thank modz for allowing it to go on this long
Quote by n2dabloo
I take it this thread is closed? Like so many others... Oh well, I said my peace. Thank modz for allowing it to go on this long

Um, no? You are posting in it.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Ok, kewlz, guess the modz have not zapped this yet. Here is my latest Ubuntu desktop for all u haters:
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Get Windows XP. Run a dualboot Mac Leopard OSX and Windows XP with Service Pack 2. XP with SP2 is beautiful, TS. Purely freaking beautiful. Buy that.

W7 runs like a dream for me, dude. I've not had a problem since I've had it.
I'm loving my Windowz 7. I just bought this Asus Gaming laptop. I quickly loaded the latest Ubuntu on it. Now I have the best of both worlds. I can surf online with no worries of viruses, and, if I have to have a windows particular program (games/steam, etc), I can simply reboot into windows.
Quote by n2dabloo

buying a laptop for gaming uses is retarded
Besides, I barely ever play games, which is why I don't need windows. And as I said, if I do get windows, I will barely use it.
and I'm not on a macbook pro.
Right now, I'm trying Wine, we'll see if it works. If it doesn't, I'll find something :-)
as for fruity loops, as I said, I'm not even sure I'll use it, probably not, but who knows? I don't need it, that's for sure.
Quote by n2dabloo

Hmm.

Not sure exactly what that cluster**** is, but I'm going to pretend it never happened.

Quote by Darkflame
buying a laptop for gaming uses is retarded
Besides, I barely ever play games, which is why I don't need windows. And as I said, if I do get windows, I will barely use it.
and I'm not on a macbook pro.
Right now, I'm trying Wine, we'll see if it works. If it doesn't, I'll find something :-)
as for fruity loops, as I said, I'm not even sure I'll use it, probably not, but who knows? I don't need it, that's for sure.

Buy an upgrade disc instead of a full install disc. It's about half the price and I still have the site that easily describes how to use your legit code to "crack" it so it works. That way you have Win 7 for the few times you need it and it doesn't empty your wallet.
I am twelve and Что это?

Quote by Dopey_Trout
Last edited by xMetalGodx at Jul 30, 2010,
Quote by SteveHouse
This is silly. There's plenty of DAWs that work with Mac.

I agree, he should just get Logic
Quote by xMetalGodx

Hmm.

Not sure exactly what that cluster**** is, but I'm going to pretend it never happened.

Buy an upgrade disc instead of a full install disc. It's about half the price and I still have the site that easily describes how to use your legit code to "crack" it so it works. That way you have Win 7 for the few times you need it and it doesn't empty your wallet.

that's interesting, PM me the site ?
Quote by n2dabloo
Ok, kewlz, guess the modz have not zapped this yet. Here is my latest Ubuntu desktop for all u haters: *obnoxiously large pic*

You're the reason so many people hate open source fans. Some of us (like you) try to flaunt it. It's like being an obnoxious hipster. Trying to show how you're different from all the sheep by breaking off from the mainstream.
Yksinään hän vaeltaa mis' varjot lankeaa
Halki usvan ja roudan vain teräs seuranaan
Sydämensä kylmä on kuin maa routainen
Mutta silmissään viha polttava kuin kiuas tulinen
Page 1 of 2