Last thread I promise guys I had nearly given up on playing bass, because of money, and looking deep into used basses, and finding nothing worthwhile. I was pretty much not going to do it any more, just because I couldn't afford it. Last night, on of my dad's buddies who's a local drummer and knew I was looking to play some bass, called, said he had a Peavey Millennium 5-string, a Crate 15 watt amp, and a hard case, and he would sell it to me for only $200. Exactly what I wanted! Just with an extra string ha. He said he paid close to $390 for the bass when he bought it, so I'm assuming it is the BXP AC model, not the standard BXP, and I hope so, because its in Tiger Eye which looks butt ugly on the standard BXP. Its in great shape, been played only around 20 times. He intended to learn to play it, but just never found the time. I'm thinking I should totally jump on this, I know the amp might be a little sub-parr, but for $200 bucks? It's pretty much an awesome starter pack, minus the crappy squier/dean bull thats out there. I swear this thing must have fallen from the sky. But anyways, I was just wondering, I know a 5-string just means extra notes, but will that present any problem at all for me? I had no desire to play a fiver, and I really don't play any music that needs a fiver. I haven't seen one band I listen to play a fiver. So yeah. I'm assuming it will just give me a greater range, extra notes like people always say, but I am just making sure.

Thanks
If you don't want to play the 5th string just don't play it and it won't really make any difference. If i was you I would jump on that
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
Well I'm sure it doesn't hurt ha, hopefully whenever I upgrade, and go back to a 4 string, it won't be a hard transition. guess thats what I'm worried about
It might feel a little weird when you go to 4 strings but you'll be able to adjusy quckly. When I changed from 4 to 5 strings, I thought it would take me a while to adjust to a bigger neck but it only took me a few days.
So that with good courage we say, “The Lord is my helper. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

-Hebrews 13:6
Quote by TrabenBassist22
It might feel a little weird when you go to 4 strings but you'll be able to adjusy quckly. When I changed from 4 to 5 strings, I thought it would take me a while to adjust to a bigger neck but it only took me a few days.

Maybe its a plus then? I'm a small dude, but my hands are massive, I tried out some ibanez basses, hated the necks, even a p-bass felt too small, so maybe the thicker neck will help
Could string it E through C instead, nice for chord work.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Could string it E through C instead, nice for chord work.

now THAT interests me, sounds like a good use, anything more you can tell me?
Don't think of the 5th string as "the thing that gives me more high/low notes." Think of it as the thing that "means I get to be lazy and move my hand around less because I have 5 more notes available to me wherever I put my hand!"

That's the beauty of extended range basses. I actively encourage new bassists to go straight for a five string- it's no more difficult and little hands have no bearing on your playing ability- it's all in the technique, which can be learnt.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Don't think of the 5th string as "the thing that gives me more high/low notes." Think of it as the thing that "means I get to be lazy and move my hand around less because I have 5 more notes available to me wherever I put my hand!"

That's the beauty of extended range basses. I actively encourage new bassists to go straight for a five string- it's no more difficult and little hands have no bearing on your playing ability- it's all in the technique, which can be learnt.

.....you'll have to explain that one to me, 5 extra notes per string? or what? Or if theres a fiver FAQ somewhere just link me to that haha
Quote by Natebegreat
.....you'll have to explain that one to me, 5 extra notes per string? or what? Or if theres a fiver FAQ somewhere just link me to that haha

An example- if you're playign around the 6th fret on the E string, and then have to play the first fret, instead of moving your whole hand down the neck, you can just play the 6th fret on the low B instead- instead of moving everything and relocating, you just need to move one finger about 6mm downwards.
Alright, think I got it. I'm going to go get the bass in the next hour or so, I can't get a book for about another week though, so any pointers towards a learning method to start on, thats online would be very appreciated