My friend just came over with a guitar he picked up for about £600. Its a massive jazz box, no name on the headstock, florentine cutaway, extremely traditional. Apart from the pups. One fernandes sustainer at the neck and one EMG 85 at the bridge with no sign of retro fitting! There are one volume one tone and one intensity control for the sustainer. This looks about 10-15 years old with some serious belt buckle wear at the back and plenty of nicks and scratchs. Photos will be up tomorrow. It is a cherry red sought of colour. Trapeeze tailpiece locking tuners, 21 frets(massive frets) and a zero fret. If anyone has one of these then please tell me what it is, or just knows about them.

EDIT: Oh yeah it is not A custom built one-off because it has a serial number ,a inspected by bit and "made in" bit on the headstock
well thats silly. however some semi hollows have been known to rock out - see ted nugent. more specifically any performance of Stranglehold.

despite him busting out some higher gain stuff, he doesnt play anything needing EMGs. chances are pushing that much gain would be uncontrollable with a semi hollow....unless you like EMGs for lower gain or clean stuff?
Quote by ikey_
well thats silly. however some semi hollows have been known to rock out - see ted nugent. more specifically any performance of Stranglehold.

despite him busting out some higher gain stuff, he doesnt play anything needing EMGs. chances are pushing that much gain would be uncontrollable with a semi hollow....unless you like EMGs for lower gain or clean stuff?

I love how people tend to just generalize and assume EMG's are only for br00tz.

I've tried EMG-equipped guitars several times and I always hated the tone except for when i played clean. It wasn't bad, just not for me.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
I find that EMG's are not horrible for clean stuff, but you must have something(EQ, or two tone knobs) to be able to roll off the high end, but control that bottom they have. The sustainer could be really fun with some jazz or fusion stuff though.
^ You all know that EMG's were designed to play Jazz, right? A "jazz" guitar with EMG's is actually the only kind of "jazz" guitar doing it right.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by BabyWantABottle
.....Trapeeze tailpiece locking tuners, 21 frets(massive frets) and a zero fret....

Excuse the hijack, but what's a zero fret? O_o.

It must sound interesting, sustainers usually have some pretty cool sounds..
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Other pick ups were designed to play jazz to, thus it could have something else and be "doing it right". I just find that at least with the seven string ones that they are very bottom heavy in my opinion. Also I'm playing on a Schecter with passive pups, so that could be it to. Eitherway they sound good clean, its just really bottom heavy ALL of the time(it also could be a horrible tone knob).
^ You could adjust your EQ on your amp?

You really need to focus on a good amp/EQ to make EMG's work at their full potential.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I do, and they aren't bad(as my post says in the first place). I don't think they are the best Jazz pick-up ever, but they aren't bad.

I also use a very nice PA speaker(or set if I fell like it), with a decent tone set on the amplifier. The bottom is even heavier in that then most amp sets unless I use a direct box to plug into a mic port(Its a better match for the amplifer I think), however I still have to turn the bass down a little.
Maybe try something other than an 85? The 85 is the bassiest of them all. Maybe try a 60 and see how that sounds, though I've never heard of a 60 being used in the bridge.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm not sure what I have. Its whatever comes stock in a Schecter Damian 7. It just says EMG on it the cover, and I haven't pulled the pup out yet to look at the rest of it.

Also, sorry for stealing the thread for a moment. You've told us everything but how this guitar sounds.... and pics would be nice!
Oh, never mind, I got mixed up.

^I think that the Damiens use H4's? I don't really know. I'm pretty sure they're passive EMG's though.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by ikey_

EMGs were originally designed as jazz pickups with active preamps to produce a higher output to naturally overdrive old tweed and Fender amps, give 'em a bit of a snappy tone, add a little grit to them. Read up on your shit before you post something like that. you'll save yourself a good bit of embarrassment
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
i know thats why i said that.

and though that may be true, its a poor design, becuase most jazz guys still use lower output pickups or generally pickups of the PAF style which are still capable of overdriving an amp.

i think its safe to say you really dont use EMGS unless your playing heavey stuff. sometimes they are cool depending on the make and model. SRV had a custom hamiltone guitar with active single coils (or perhaps stacke humbuckers).

most jazz guys i know play a gibson 335 or a gibson l5s....like the hollowbody thats a single cutaway????
Quote by Offworld92
^ You all know that EMG's were designed to play Jazz, right? A "jazz" guitar with EMG's is actually the only kind of "jazz" guitar doing it right.

Yes, it's a well known fact that jazz guitars did not exist in any proper format until the EMG was invented.

EMG makes pickups for hollowbodies, but the 81 and 85 were not voiced to be jazz pickups. The 60 to some extent was, but let's not get silly here and call EMGs the prototypical jazz pickup.
EMG's were designed for jazz guitarists. I'm assuming a jazz guitar would have pickups well suited to jazz?
[HARLEY-DAVIDSON]

When the world slips you a Jerffrey...

Stroke the furry walls.
stroke the furry walls.
Yes, they're decent jazz pickups, but I was more concerned with the ridiculous notion that they're the be-all jazz pickup. The 85 is just passable for jazz; the 60 does it nicely, but I just don't think it's reasonable to call EMGs consummate jazz pickups. The whole reason we're having this thread is because EMGs don't generally find their way into jazz boxes.

There's nothing wrong with using an 85/60 combo in a hollowbody, and although the one in question was almost certainly modified (the Fernandez unit certainly makes me skeptical), it was clear that Offworld's comments were leaning towards hyperbole, and I thought I'd offset them a bit.
Quote by BabyWantABottle
My friend just came over with a guitar he picked up for about £600. Its a massive jazz box, no name on the headstock, florentine cutaway, extremely traditional. Apart from the pups. One fernandes sustainer at the neck and one EMG 85 at the bridge with no sign of retro fitting! There are one volume one tone and one intensity control for the sustainer. This looks about 10-15 years old with some serious belt buckle wear at the back and plenty of nicks and scratchs. Photos will be up tomorrow. It is a cherry red sought of colour. Trapeeze tailpiece locking tuners, 21 frets(massive frets) and a zero fret. If anyone has one of these then please tell me what it is, or just knows about them.

EDIT: Oh yeah it is not A custom built one-off because it has a serial number ,a inspected by bit and "made in" bit on the headstock

if your going to use it for cleaner stuff just stick a 60 in there
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55