Poll: Peavey or Roland?
Poll Options
View poll results: Peavey or Roland?
Peavey Valveking 112
15 79%
Roland Cube 80X
4 21%
Voters: 19.
I know what you might be thinking "Why are you comparing a Tube vs Solid State Amp?" I just want to get your basic opinions on which is better. I play hard rock to metal (Iron Maiden, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Ozzy Osbourne, etc.) My max budget its $450.
I'll also cast my vote onto the cube camp. The ValveKing is a wonderful amp, but it's not very good for heavy distortion.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
Hm...then I say go with the cube. The ValveKing is GREAT when you get a speaker/tube swap, but since your budget is only $450 I say get the cube. Unless you think you're going to come into some cash eventually.

The valveking 112 combo is $419
Quote by SilverRock113

$31 isn't gonna get you a decent speaker and a set of tubes.
Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Joeseffel

Quote by smcstoronto1234

So very true...
Quote by SilverRock113

I forgot they dropped the price. Even so, it still doesn't cover the cost of a new speaker and tubes...

Quote by The^Unforgiven
I'll also cast my vote onto the cube camp. The ValveKing is a wonderful amp, but it's not very good for heavy distortion.

...which, once you get that all set up, allows the ValveKing to get some pretty heavy metal tones. Then again, that's my opinion. I haven't really played metal in some time.
Quote by WarriorArtist94
$31 isn't gonna get you a decent speaker and a set of tubes.

It'll get you a fish n chips which will help the distorted tone a lot.
Why is there any contest here? We're comparing what is basically a huge mediocre practice amp with a decent-for-the-money valve amp. And no, I'm not just advocating the Valveking because it has "t00bs" and that, it's just that it's a better-sounding amp than the Cube.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Quote by Section 5
Why is there any contest here? We're comparing what is basically a huge mediocre practice amp with a decent-for-the-money valve amp. And no, I'm not just advocating the Valveking because it has "t00bs" and that, it's just that it's a better-sounding amp than the Cube.

+1
Quote by Section 5

This!
Get the VK and dont look back
TS, definitely the VK. And try out an EQ or an OD at the store on the amp with your guitar to see if you can get into the territory in which your desired tone lies in. You can always replace tubes/speakers down the track. The cube is nice, but you won't be able to drive it with a pedal the same way you'll be able to drive the VK.
From what i recall you're going to need quite a bit of od to get the vk to metal, I didn't care for it much myself.
Guitars
Amps