I've been interested in getting into it for the past 5 years. Lack of sufficient funds, being able to find other people interested, and choosing guitar over paintball has kept me from it for awhile.

But now I'm getting hired for a part time job and wouldn't mind getting into it.

So how much dooes it usually cost to get into Paintball? How do you find other players in your area? Are semi-auto's good guns for new guys?
Have a good one,
Phoenix
It can get pricey. You'd be better off going somewhere that rents out guns, air, and paintballs on a course that's already setup. That way, if you dont like it you're not a couple hundred bucks.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
It isn't too expensive if you keep it as a hobby. If you are going and playing every single weekend, better go to a rental place.
Quote by guylee
Paintball sucks. Go Airsoft!

Yeah I've heard that Airsoft is more realistic. I'd be willing to look into that one top. How does airsoft and Paintball compare to eachother in cost? Play style? Popularity and stuff.

Also I probably wouldn't get crazy into it. Infact I'm only going to get into either one if I can find a group of people in my area that do it. (Of course in a city with +60,000 people and another of similar size only 10 minutes away it seems pretty likely there's an Airsoft and Paintball club omewhere in the area.)
Have a good one,
Phoenix
Airsoft is MUCH cheaper than paintball. With $150 you can buy a decent gun, and the higher end ones start at around $250. And paint is much more expensive than bb's. And airsoft is funner, it feels so much cooler to hear the slap of metal on metal when you change mags or rip the bolt back. Less breakable parts too.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by Phoenix Reborn
Yeah I've heard that Airsoft is more realistic. I'd be willing to look into that one top. How does airsoft and Paintball compare to eachother in cost? Play style? Popularity and stuff.

It's quite popular. Airsoft guns are twice as cheap as a paintball marker of same quality. The pellets costs around $10 for 3000 pellets, you'll find better deals. For paintballs, you'll be paying 50$ for 2000. The only catch with airsoft is that you have to be honest and call every hit, if someone notices that one is hit and does not call the hit, anger is ensured.

I can recommend you this airsoft gun from a store in Hong Kong, it's not too much a difference between USA stores and Hong Kong...we north-europeans save insane amouts though.

This one here is seriously an awesome offer, ordered mine two days ago.
http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/AEG_AEP_RedWolf_Custom_Guns_Redwolf_Custom_M4A1_Full_Metal.htm

Pellets may be easily found in a more local store, they're really not worth shipping overseas.

I also recommend that you look around for clubs and teams and ask them if you can try to see how it is to play.

EDIT: The only rule of safety is to protect your eyes with made-for-airsoft goggles, tooth-protection is also recommended if you are playing with snipers. 350 FPS is enough for regular full auto guns, don't let the "high FPS hype" get on you.
Last edited by GisleAune at Jul 30, 2010,
Quote by Phoenix Reborn

Airsoft is much, much cheaper. A usable airsoft gun can be 15 bucks. Good ones are usually around 40 or 50. Automatic ones can get pricey. Airsoft pellets are $5 - 10, and you don't need to buy CO2 to operate them.

The cheapest paintball guns from what I've seen are usualy around $90. Good ones being around $150 and up. I'm not sure how much paint and C02 is, but I know it's not extremely cheap. Then you've got protective equipment, gun accessories, etc.

You could do some research on the two and compare prices and stuff to see if you can afford it.

I used to play airsoft all the time. It's pretty fun. I'd still like to play a bit but there aren't many people to play with. Paintball is cool, but I sucked at it. It's not something I personally would do regularly but tons of people I know love it. Paintball is vastly more popular.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
Alright, for cost airsoft wins by a landslide. And I've heard that they also win fro realism to. (The sniper rifle actually can be used to snipe I've heard)

Painyball's more popular though...

hmm, hard choice
Have a good one,
Phoenix
Quote by Phoenix Reborn
Alright, for cost airsoft wins by a landslide. And I've heard that they also win fro realism to. (The sniper rifle actually can be used to snipe I've heard)

Painyball's more popular though...

hmm, hard choice

I'll tell you this. You're going to like airsoft. Everyone I've ever talked to about the subject has never said they didn't like it. You're going to have to try out paintball for yourself though. I suggest starting with that. Go to a rental place for a day with a few firends, and try and get the feel for it. If you like it and want to play frequently, invest in paintball gear. If you like it but only want to play a few times every couple months, just stick to renting. If you don't really like it, there's no point in wasting your money. Also, if you spend on airsoft gear, you might want to make sure you're going to have people to play with.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
Quote by lolmnt
Second you dance.
If you play airsoft, you will only find a couple of 10 year olds who will want to play. For paintball, there are a lot more people who play it, you can find people of ages 13-50 who play, there are numerous paintball fields around the country, and at some places you can get money for winning. yes paintball is more expensive but you are getting your moneys worth when you play. airsoft is a game that you play in your backyard and everyone cheats while playing, but playing paintball is legit, you cant cheat and say you didnt get shot when there is paint slattered all over your back. threre are usually 2 or 3 refs on a paintball field to watch and see if anyone is trying to cheat.

I reccomend that you go with a few friends to a field, rent some gear for the day (can cost $10-20 to rent everything) and play to see if you like it.
I'd say, look if there is a airsoft club near to your place, if not, search for people who play it, if everything fails; go paintball
Quote by I.O.T.M
Quote by Jackal58
Belgium ain't got no stinkin' cowboys.

Just paedophiles and chocolate.

~Shadowdust~
Aren't there any set laws on minimum age for airsoft in US?
If you want my advice, I'd say don't even get involved with the sport.

Yes its fun, but there are so many other hobbies to develop that dont cost a crapload of money and are so much better.

Me and my friends play a few times a year in one of my buddies field and it is fun to actually go to real fields like Fearless Fighters, etc but its better to just play with a few buddies. Having said that, if you don't know anyone who plays then you don't have much of a choice.

Also generally the people who play in legitimate courses tend to be of the tool/ douchebag type of people that I don't want to associate myself with anyways, so if your looking to make new friends then I'd find a better way.

Paintball is rather expensive, with decent used guns costing around $100, paint (you'll go through it quickly if you play enough) being $20 for 2000 balls (the cheap stuff), and the other gear (loaders, protective equipment, etc) putting you easily upwards of $200 without having played a game, that is if you buy all your own crap. And then you may find out that you don't even like it.

If your new to the sport, then just go to place that has rental guns and use their equipment the first few times and decide if you want to actually buy your own stuff.

Airsoft is a fun, cheap alternative.

As I said, the above is all my opinion, you don't have to believe me if you don't want to. If you want to learn more about the sport, then watch this guy's videos. Hes got a ton of videos on youtube about paintball, and you'll learn a great deal just from watching them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwMpGgTDX-Q&feature=channel
(picked one of his videos at random)
Quote by GisleAune
It's quite popular. Airsoft guns are twice as cheap as a paintball marker of same quality. The pellets costs around $10 for 3000 pellets, you'll find better deals. For paintballs, you'll be paying 50$ for 2000. The only catch with airsoft is that you have to be honest and call every hit, if someone notices that one is hit and does not call the hit, anger is ensured.

Using crap bbs like that through a decent AEG is not a good idea by the way. Go for the high polish .20-.25 gram ones. Not only will they be more accurate, but they'll be more reliable too.

I'd recommend an Echo 1 AEG if you're just starting out. If you don't have a store to buy 'em your area, I've used shortyusa several times without any issues.
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Quote by BeastlyBassist
Using crap bbs like that through a decent AEG is not a good idea by the way. Go for the high polish .20-.25 gram ones. Not only will they be more accurate, but they'll be more reliable too.

I'd recommend an Echo 1 AEG if you're just starting out. If you don't have a store to buy 'em your area, I've used shortyusa several times without any issues.

Or the one I have linked too, it's built completely of G&P parts and costs only 200$, that's a real beast for 200$.

But it is recommended that you go visit a field and ask the players there if you can have a try at the game, tell them that you're interested.
Quote by GisleAune
Or the one I have linked too, it's built completely of G&P parts and costs only 200$, that's a real beast for 200$.

I wouldn't use it.
Being assembled and sold cheaper can mean less quality control. My echo 1 was less than that and I don't feel like I need to bring a backup gun whenever I use it.

Plus mini batteries = meh imo. I've got an m4 with a full stock so I can have a large battery while at the same time not having a really long gun.
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Quote by BeastlyBassist
I wouldn't use it.
Being assembled and sold cheaper can mean less quality control. My echo 1 was less than that and I don't feel like I need to bring a backup gun whenever I use it.

Plus mini batteries = meh imo. I've got an m4 with a full stock so I can have a large battery while at the same time not having a really long gun.

They're assembling it to save costs, and Redwolf have been in business for quite some time, they're serious. It's also 100% G&P parts.
Do both then see which one you like more. I like airsoft because of its realism feel and that you can customize the shit out of your gun. Paintball has the "pain" factor but that is no reason to do it imo. Perhaps the fact you see if you actually hit them is better but some places say if you hit them in the head which is obvious cus of the paint splat it isnt allowed. So I would say paintball is more a sport and airsoft is more about realism.
Im quite proud of that LOL

Quote by Unreal445
i found it funny that the pit reported it faster than sky news

Beneath The Fallen