Turned on my amp today and it sounds almost as if it's not picking up the signal from my guitar. Some of the more harsh tones i use sound really clean, even after turning the volume and drive up, and setting the amp model to it's chuggiest. On top of that, the cleaner tones are incredibly quiet. Like I said, it's like my amp isn't receiving a good signal from my guitar.

I checked the patch cable and it seems alright...no tears or cuts. And the battery for my active pickup isn't dead.

Is it the amp? Is it my guitar? What's up?
Gee-arr:

ESP LTD Viper 400
Line 6 Spider 75W
Digitech RP350
Try your guitar into something else, like the Digitech in your sig, see if it works with headphones. If it doesn't then, it's the guitar. If it does work then it's your amp.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Before I opened this thread, I told myself that "he probably has a Line 6 Spider".

Jokes aside, have you recently tripped on the cable or something? you probably messed up the input either on the guitar or mostly the amp. This is what happened to my first amp many moons ago. Also, the amp basically has a computer brain and it's probably retarded now.
Your guitar has emg's right?

Check the batteries
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by Bertallica
Try your guitar into something else, like the Digitech in your sig, see if it works with headphones. If it doesn't then, it's the guitar. If it does work then it's your amp.

Just tried this, and it sounds exactly the same. Does that mean the pickups are fried? Or the input jack? I ask again, what's the deal?
Gee-arr:

ESP LTD Viper 400
Line 6 Spider 75W
Digitech RP350
Quote by SquierLolz
Your guitar has emg's right?

Check the batteries

This
Gear:
ESP Horizon II
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez MDB1

Morgan BC40
Koch Twintone II

Quote by -xCaMRocKx-

YouTube: more morons than Yahoo Answers and more hate than 4chan. It's the Internet's premier breeding ground of complete idiocy.
Just check everything. Try using a different cable (it may look fine but the almost never break on the outside, just inside connections). Plug the guitar into a different amp, (use a friends) or use a heaphone out on your pedal if it has one. Try plugging straight into the amp to see if your pedal is the problem. Try plugging a different guitar into your amp. If you think the problem is your guitar, unscrew your jack (not the nut that gets loose sometimes, there should be screws on either side of the jack holding the metal plate down) and check the soldering. Since you have active pickups try putting new batteries in, even if the other batteries seem fine. If you think the problem is your amp, take it into a music store and see if they can fix it. If its a problem with wiring you'll probably be okay, but since those amps are like 99% digital, you're pretty much f***ed if there are any other problems with the amp.
Quote by virusoflife26
Just tried this, and it sounds exactly the same. Does that mean the pickups are fried? Or the input jack? I ask again, what's the deal?

You can't fry pickups, unless you've been running them on more than 21 volts.

Make sure the volume is all the way up on the guitar.
Is the problem still there if you switch between the 2 pickups?
Try another cable.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
'twas the battery. I suppose it's been such a long time since the battery wore out that I had forgotten what my guitar sounded like with...well, a dead battery.

Thanks guys
Gee-arr:

ESP LTD Viper 400
Line 6 Spider 75W
Digitech RP350