Hey, i got this idea but dunno if it could work out.

a) Since amps with really sweet cleans got 'shitty' overdrive on them (unless really expensive, probably) I was thinking of, still, buying one of these amps (Probably fender or laney). And then use a distortion pedal on it (I hear they take pedals very well) for 'metalish' rhythms. Then i would use the 2nd channel as a sort of EQ pedal with a bit of gain boost for lead guitar parts.

This would also be WAY cheaper then buying a good 'metal' amp with a good clean channel since most amps really dont impress me with their tone. (I Could buy a ENGL powerball for a fairly cheap price, 2nd handed, which IS an amp i like)
+ I think i'll have more control over my sound in this way

Thing is, I dont wonna buy a multiple channel amp if im not going to use the other channels anyway! So it's either this or buying a 1-channel amp with an EQ and a TS or some i guess, since my budget is limited. (I could buy the ENGL powerball if i would save some cash, but then i would still need a B-plan if it's gone by then :p)

b) Also, second question, will a good clean amp with a very nice distortion pedal sattisfy my ears ? :p (I'm not looking to get a typical sound, but i do need to get 'quite' some gain )
(Also, if you quickly clarify this= isnt the gain section on amps more or less a built in distortion pedal?)

c) Could you guys also recommend some good distortion pedals for a darker, distortion sound? Once again, not really looking for a sound in particular.

Thanks for taking your time!
I'm confused. So ur just wanting to run a distortion pedal in the clean channel and have 2 channels of dirt right
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
im also a bit confused by your question but today someone told me about a effect pedals company called greenhouse effects. they have fuzz, OD and distortion pedals and judging by the few demos on youtube they sound amazing
i get you...
i have a fender frontman which has very good cleans and takes my Boss DS-2 really well, you EQ trick, i like that idea i may steal it I reckon you spend money on a amp with decent cleans and get the distortion pedal you want, the added bonus being that you can then by a specific pedal for your tone rather than relying on the amp!
hopes that makes sense
yeah thats completely doable ive been doing that for years i like how it sounds
and on a tube amp the gain is overdriving the tubes and on most distortion pedals it has transistors and diodes to make that distortion
If you're gonna set the amp on clean and stomp on a pedal for chunk, then a TS won't cut it. I tried that once, not nearly enough gain/dirt. The best pedals for this purpose I've tried so far are the Maxon TOD9, Maxon ROD881, Arteffect Zenith, Blackstar HT-Dual, and Fulltone GT-500. I tried one of the Vox tube pedals and 2 of the Duncan Twin Tube pedals, and they were shite.

I have a Maxon ROD881, if you're interested you can PM me. It's gotten unanimous rave reviews on HC and musiciansfriend. I settled on the TOD9 by a tiny margin, though I felt the ROD881 clearly beat all the others.

And yes, your idea of using an amp's second channel for a slight boost and/or different EQ is good. Though some of the pedals I mentioned--Maxon ROD881, Blackstar HT-Dual, Fulltone GT-500--are capable of giving you an additional boost themselves.
right, so you want a 2 channel amp, with the clean channel set up with a distortion pedal, for a dirty rhythm channel. so the gain on the lead channel of the amp is set really low, as not to interfere with the distortion pedal, with a different EQ setting?

as far as i can tell, this would work, but i cant imagine it would sound anywhere near as good as you think/want. this wont really get you more control, as you think it will.

if you want gain, and you can get an engl, GET AN ENGL. amp overdrive sounds so much better than pedals, especially for metal, when you want a more organic sound, and it'll be a lot better in the long run, if you get a dedicated amp.
Quote by salgala2000
So basically you want
Guitar-distortion pedal (used with clean amp for distortion)-amp footswitch (used to switch to lead gain channel on amp; used with distorion as a boost)-Amp?

no :p

Pedal for distortion yes, but then switch to the 2nd channel (not rlly lead channel), with very small gain boost and other EQ settings then the 1st channel for just making a differnece between rhythm and lead parts with the same distortion pedal

Nirvanafanjonny, yes idd

So any recommodations for a good pedal with a bit of a darker tone to it? :p
Quote by Stud_Muffin

if you want gain, and you can get an engl, GET AN ENGL. amp overdrive sounds so much better than pedals, especially for metal, when you want a more organic sound, and it'll be a lot better in the long run, if you get a dedicated amp.

Hehe, you might be right! :p

Though i have to say that the few pedals ive been checking out have sounded way better than most amps (for me), with the ENGL being one of the nicer amps idd
Quote by PinkTree
no :p

Pedal for distortion yes, but then switch to the 2nd channel (not rlly lead channel), with very small gain boost and other EQ settings then the 1st channel for just making a differnece between rhythm and lead parts with the same distortion pedal

Nirvanafanjonny, yes idd

So any recommodations for a good pedal with a bit of a darker tone to it? :p

check out greenhouse effects(demos on youtube by gearmandude and some other guy)
Quote by PinkTree
Hey, i got this idea but dunno if it could work out.

1.) I was thinking of, still, buying one of these amps (Probably fender or laney).

2.) (I could buy the ENGL powerball if i would save some cash, but then i would still need a B-plan if it's gone by then :p)

Do one of these two options and run in stereo

also, what does 'darker distortion' mean? What kind of music to you play and what amp do you have again?
I would just get a solid high gain amp. The response and articulation will be far better than any distortion pedal could provide.

If you want to be able to switch between two different distortions, I'd recommend the opposite of what you proposed. Get an EQ pedal, put it in the fx loop, and use it to eq a second distorted channel. Check out the mxr 10 band.
Quote by denied
I would just get a solid high gain amp. The response and articulation will be far better than any distortion pedal could provide.

Like the ENGL powerball? :p

Btw, i had never even heard of greenhouse effects, but they seem quite nice