Looking at throwing a little bit of money at some new effects and on my to-buy list is a compression unit. I don't want it for my overdriven tones, lead tones, or anything - literally just wanted for clean tone, especially for those really tight sounding funky grooves.

Was looking at the MXR Dyna Comp, but have read a couple of reviews saying that it's a bit noisy - does anyone have suggestions of pedals to look into? Something with the reliability and sound quality to cope with regular gigs would be particularly high on the list. I'd rather not go into the high price bracket boutique or modded pedals, something around £100 I guess.

Thanks guys,
T
I have a Maxon CP101 and it's very transparent.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I bought a DynaComp and returned it the next day. Was not a fan. However, a friend of mine sold me his Boss Compressor/Sustainer, and to my disbelief, (due to negative UG comments), this thing brings everything to life. At a good price too. I run mine early in the chain, right in front of my OD, Rounds out my tone and makes my distortion cut like a knife. Its a crucial pedal in my setup.
- Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
- Fender USA Strat
- Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
- Orange PPC-212OB Cab
- Marshall JTM600 Head
- Marshall JTM410 Cab
Quote by denied
Look at the Barber tone press, retro-sonic compressor and rothwell lovesqueeze.

+1, although I haven't tried the Lovesqueeze yet. The Barber is extremely popular though and very nice sounding. My personal favorite for funk type sounds is a Ross clone with the sustain knob turned fairly low.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
how to you dial in compression to create a tight tone?

is this where you turn up the attack or sustain? I thought this tone would be achieved from using an EQ and just dropping the low and highs... :\
I think he means more the playing style is described as tight. Funk doesn't require a particularly 'tight' tone. But yes, traditional tightening of an amp's tone would involve an EQ in front with the highs and lows cut. The Tubescreamer works similarly.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
I've been looking for a compressor... found the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone and fell in love with it. Check it out.