I want to get a subscription to a guitar magazine, but I don't know which one to pick. Before I pick randomly I thought I'll ask the pit and get some information on the different ones. So tell me, which guitar mag is good/bad, which ones have good articles/reviews/tabs/lessons, etc.

Thanks
Most are pretty bad, I had Guitar player and it was filled with ads and boring articles on people I don't care about.
I used to be subscribed to guitar world. It was a pretty interesting read everytime I got it in the mail and the diversity between tablature lessons was quite broad from what I remember, but there could be better ones.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
My first preference is Guitar World. They have really good tabs, and have a lot of information about all the latest news and rumors about bands and such.

Guitar Player is good as well. If you're into gear a lot more than anything, you'll pobably like it best. They do a LOT of gear reviews.

Just buy a current issue of each and a few other magazines and see what you like best.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
I get Guitar World. It's usually got 5 songs fully transcribed for guitar and bass, 5 or 6 column lessons, and a betcha can't play this lick. Couple of gear reviews also. I'd get it if I were you.

EDIT: You also get a disc that you can play in your computer with video counterparts to the columns/reviews. (if you get the right subscription)
Last edited by UntilISleep at Jul 30, 2010,
Take a look at Total Guitar, i like them and they're europe's best selling magazine so they must be doing something right. The tabs are really accurate and they come with backing tracks (good sounding ones) on a CD. You get a gift of some kind for subscribing too.
Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Joeseffel

Quote by smcstoronto1234

So very true...
Quote by UntilISleep
I get Guitar World. It's usually got 5 songs fully transcribed for guitar and bass, 5 or 6 column lessons, and a betcha can't play this lick. Couple of gear reviews also. I'd get it if I were you.

man i dislike the betcha cant play stuff....., cause i cant

fffffuuuuuu chris broderick

but it gets old, its mostly just sweeps and tapping
I get guitar world and its really good, id suggest getting it
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
Seems like Guitar World is the most popular here, and from what I'm reading it sounds pretty nice. I'll have to check out Guitar Player and Total Guitar too.
Oh and one thing I forgot to say; do these magazines cater to all styles of guitar playing? Because I've seen some of these betcha can't play this vids on youtube before and I don't really play metal or shred that much. Occasionally, but not often.
Quote by Captain Panda
Oh and one thing I forgot to say; do these magazines cater to all styles of guitar playing? Because I've seen some of these betcha can't play this vids on youtube before and I don't really play metal or shred that much. Occasionally, but not often.

Which style do you play?
Quote by tattyreagh
He's the hero The Pit deserves but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. GbAdimDb5m7.

Free Jani92jani

Free Will Swanson
Guitar World kinda sucks but I buy it sometimes anyway. Otherwise all I get is MF's catalog.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by Captain Panda
Seems like Guitar World is the most popular here, and from what I'm reading it sounds pretty nice. I'll have to check out Guitar Player and Total Guitar too.

Only get Guitar Player if you're a real gearhead. When they interview someone, 99% of the interview is asking "what gear did you use on x album?"
just go to 7-11 or a bigger store and check out the guitar magazines. there are usually at least a couple types
I have been suscribed to Guitar Player and World but the one I enjoy the most is Premeir Guitar. You get a free subscribtion to Guitar Edge which is sent by email. Less ads, tons of reviews and trying new equipment, Great interviews and MANY pages of tech help, including mods, theories, and techniques.
Then the Guitar Edge email includes Tabs and the history behind the song

http://www.premierguitar.com/Default.aspx

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
Last edited by JohnnyNash at Jul 30, 2010,
Quote by Captain Panda
Oh and one thing I forgot to say; do these magazines cater to all styles of guitar playing?

Guitar Techniques always covers a wide variety of styles.

It's a lot more focused on lessons, so you could say there is a lack of articles, there are usually a couple of short album reviews at the back, and a couple of short pieces here and there, but nothing special.
If you're buying the magazine purely in order to make yourself a better player, Guitar Techniques is probably your best option.
If you wanna slobber for like twenty minutes over guitars, amps, and pedals, subscribe to musicians frond catalog, it's free. If you're looking for some tabs, lessons, and as of recently, sweep arpeggios by Chris Broderick of Megadeth, get guitar world.
I vote Guitar World.

Guitar Player is boring and mostly gear reviews for stuff I'll never buy.

Never seen a Total Guitar or Guitar Techniques mag around here.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Last edited by Bertallica at Jul 30, 2010,
Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
Which style do you play?

Mostly, blues and rock. Anything from BB King to GNR to Lynyrd Skynyrd. Of course I play other stuff too, but I tend to stick to that style.

Quote by darkcheef
Only get Guitar Player if you're a real gearhead. When they interview someone, 99% of the interview is asking "what gear did you use on x album?"

I'll check it out anyway but that's definitely a turn off for me.

And yes, of course I'm going to browse magazines in some local stores. But it's always nice to have other people's opinions. And who better to ask than a guitar player's website.

Guitar Techniques always covers a wide variety of styles.

Quote by buckethead_jr
It's a lot more focused on lessons, so you could say there is a lack of articles, there are usually a couple of short album reviews at the back, and a couple of short pieces here and there, but nothing special.
If you're buying the magazine purely in order to make yourself a better player, Guitar Techniques is probably your best option.

Sounds nice!
Last edited by Captain Panda at Jul 30, 2010,
Guitar World tends to be a lot more geared towards shred and metal and br00tz and stuff. Yeah they talk about Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page sometimes but that's rarely the focus.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Has anyone got September issue? Can someone send me tracks 31, 32, 53?
I have lost my cd!
I found Total Guitar was full of crap a lot of the time, (s*** reviews, annoying lessons, retarded tabs, band tab choice, etc.)

Guitar Techniques is my preference now, Guitarist is good too, but that's almost entirely just reviews. Guitar Techniques is definitely the one that actually helps you progress as a player the most, although Guitar World does look decent as well
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
Quote by Iohannes
Has anyone got September issue? Can someone send me tracks 31, 32, 53?
I have lost my cd!

Anyone ?