Hey, I wasn't sure where to post about this but I am a singer and when I am with my band nobody can hear me. So I heard about 'PA Systems', but I really don't know anything about them.

Can you guys give me some suggestions?

Also as a possible alternative: I just bought a Shure SM57 Microphone and my friend has a 45W bass amp. (I also have a 50W Tube Guitar Amp but I heard that it is possible to damage it by using it for vocals). Could I connect the microphone to that?

Thanks for any help, my budget is $500 or less :/

Here are some options I found:

1. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbinger-HA80-Portable-PA-System-105014757-i1428885.gc

2. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Messenger-Portable-Sound-System-104304753-i1152926.gc

And there is the other option of me using the microphone I already own and connecting it to a bass amp
Last edited by Tmusician at Jul 30, 2010,
If this wasn't the right place to post it can a mod please move this to the correct sub-forum?

It is surprising that literally NOBODY is replying
Since you have a decent mic, i would stay away the packages with mics because either the chord or mics are pretty crappy.
You at least will want enough wattage to match the guitarist, but twice the guitar wattage would be safe.

If its just for band practice, maybe blowing the money on a lack luster pa system isnt a good idea. My suggestion is go to guitar center with the mic and chord and try it out on this:
See if this will be loud and clear enough. Then start saving for a decent mixer.
Yes! First thanks for responding!

And it is mainly just for band practice, yes, but every now and then there is a talent show or something and I would hate to not be able to include vocals in those

I see you posted a speaker! I wasn't sure if those would work but if they do then that sounds like a good idea

What exactly is the difference between a PA and a speaker anyway? And also why would I need a mixer if I got that speaker?
The speaker is a powered (or active) speaker, so you wouldn't need a mixer.
Think of a mixer as a Guitar's amp head, while the speaker is the cabinet. An active speaker is like an amp combo.
By get a better mixer i really meant get a really nice system. Sorry >_>
If you're worried about power, I'd get this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=220642164757&Category=47094&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2#ht_6323wt_988

Yamaha and Carvin are from my experience the better pa systems in the below $1000 range. Super quality I'd look for bose
Hope that helps
PA System = Public Address System
So a PA System is whatever you use to address the audience with.

Speakers are speakers, Mixers are mixers, together they make a PA System. The active Speaker pretty much has a mixer inside it but you should be able to plug it into a mixer use it as a regular passive speaker (but don't quote me on that, I haven't experimented lol)