When I was first learning guitar my dad had me go through the Blues Scale, not sure why not Major first but anyways, I can't seem to find a good use for this scale. I do realize it is a Major Scale along with a flattened 3rd and 7th added to it but not sure exactly how to solo with it. Yes I have been attempting to solo with in the key of E (first position I learned). I've had the most luck using a slide and although it is pretty fun I can't seem to incorporate any decent licks or riffs out of it. No I have not memorized the notes in it for they should be relatively simple once I memorize the notes in the Major Scale (which I'm working on).

Yeah don't point out the obvious "Its a BLUES scale, use it in Blues", for I have trouble soloing in even a basic 12 bar blues and the Pentatonic are much easier for that. So I ask of you UG users is the Blues Scale worth remembering or simply keeping it in the back of my mind.
I iz moderatin teh forums on this site.
Definitely worth learning, if you're struggling to make music out of it listen to some blues players and learn their licks to see how they do it.
Quote by griffRG7321
Definitely worth learning, if you're struggling to make music out of it listen to some blues players and learn their licks to see how they do it.
I love the blues, I need to know some more artists though My favorite so far are Ry Cooder, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Eric Clapton. I think I might need to broaden my knowledge of Blues.
the blues scale isn't something you can only use in blues! almost all of my improvisation, and we're talking metal shred solos here, is on blues scales.
try playing up and down it in one position, change direction randomly, switch between note lengths, etc. just play it. and play to a backing track.
of all the scales i learned when i was starting out, the blues scale is the only one i really still use.
Quote by captainsnazz
the blues scale isn't something you can only use in blues! almost all of my improvisation, and we're talking metal shred solos here, is on blues scales.
try playing up and down it in one position, change direction randomly, switch between note lengths, etc. just play it. and play to a backing track.
of all the scales i learned when i was starting out, the blues scale is the only one i really still use.
Thanks for the advice, although I'm no metal shredder haha. I do love classic rock and some classic metal though, so maybe I'll find some use for that later on. I guess my dad knew that the Blues Scale was worth learning. For now, though, I'd prefer to get the Major Scale downpat and memorized by heart before moving onto anything else.
E O - - o
B o - - o
G o - o o
D o - O -
A o o o -
E O - - o

that's a good pattern, play the notes where i've put an 'o', capital O is the root note.
just play that up and down like i said and it'll come to you (:
Quote by captainsnazz
E O - - o
B o - - o
G o - o o
D o - O -
A o o o -
E O - - o

that's a good pattern, play the notes where i've put an 'o', capital O is the root note.
just play that up and down like i said and it'll come to you (:
I've played that, along with the other 4 positions memorized, and still haven't come up with much xD I can move freely across the fretboard in all the positions so movement isn't really what my problem is, its sort of creating decent sounding licks and riffs (which I will listen to Blues artist for to be inspired from).
if you can solo using the pentatonics, just solo in them, and use the blue note as a note to bend to, or using it in passing.
Look at some songs which use the blues scale, and see how it fits with your patterns. You just don't know how to apply them.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by 7grant2
When I was first learning guitar my dad had me go through the Blues Scale, not sure why not Major first but anyways, I can't seem to find a good use for this scale. I do realize it is a Major Scale along with a flattened 3rd and 7th added to it but not sure exactly how to solo with it. Yes I have been attempting to solo with in the key of E (first position I learned). I've had the most luck using a slide and although it is pretty fun I can't seem to incorporate any decent licks or riffs out of it. No I have not memorized the notes in it for they should be relatively simple once I memorize the notes in the Major Scale (which I'm working on).

Yeah don't point out the obvious "Its a BLUES scale, use it in Blues", for I have trouble soloing in even a basic 12 bar blues and the Pentatonic are much easier for that. So I ask of you UG users is the Blues Scale worth remembering or simply keeping it in the back of my mind.

No it's not - it's a MINOR PENTATONIC scale with an added flattened fifth.

Use it over blues progressions, as far as HOW to use it goes - well it's up to you to decided when the sound of that flattened fifth will be appropriate, you have to use your ears.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I learned the minor penatonic/blues before I learned the major scale. Alot of people teach in that order, imo you should keep trying to form music with it. If you are having a hard time making music with a scale that has 5 notes, how can you think playing a 7 note scale is going to be any easier?

Are you having problems just with the blues note, or do you have the same problem with the standard minor penatonic scale?
Last edited by Peaceful Rocker at Jul 31, 2010,