Hi guys. I've been playing guitar on and off for around 10 years now and I'd really like to take a shot at bass, hoping you can suggest a good starter option for me.

I really don't know much at all about bass so I'm not sure if I need an amp. I'm purely a bedroom player and I use a Line6 Toneport UX1 with headphones for guitar. Would I be able to use that for bass as well, or is it recommended I purchase a bass amp or bass processor?

In particular I'd really love to learn slap bass, ala primus, rhcp etc.. Some funky percussive stuff.

I'm in the UK so I can't try any U.S brands such as Agile that I'd need to import. I'm also left handed.

My budget is around £200-£300 ( $300-$500 ish), although preferably less. I can stretch a bit higher if you really feel that would give me a better start. I'm fine with going second hand.

Thanks for any advice.
Last edited by beedster at Jul 30, 2010,
Fender jazz! The toneport is fine, I think there are bass amps in podfarm, otherwise just get ampeg svx by amplitube.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
if you're in the UK and left handed I have nothing to tell you bass wise. I will tell you that a bass through a guitar amp WITH HEADPHONES will work, your tone will be sub par but nothing will get damaged. I suggest getting an amp or processor when you have some cash.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Get the Squier Classic Vibe Jazz, it's one hell of a guitar for the price it is. It's also pretty much the most versatile bass you're going to get at that price. I think it's usually £300-320 ish, but it's definitely worth it, should carry you for a few years!
Quote by Ghefly
Get the Squier Classic Vibe Jazz, it's one hell of a guitar for the price it is. It's also pretty much the most versatile bass you're going to get at that price. I think it's usually £300-320 ish, but it's definitely worth it, should carry you for a few years!

This. You can trust in Squier basses if you know how to choose. Some are sh*t, but some are as good as Fender's.
It looks like the Classic Vibe Jazz isn't available left handed, but there is the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz (Link)

Or the Standard P-Bass Special (Link)

My local store also has an Ibanez SR300 and SR500 in stock.
The Squier VM is a fantastic bass, about on par with MIM Fender's quality-wise. It's also possibly the most widely recommended starter bass around these parts

The Ibanez SR's are great basses too. Wafer thin necks that you may or may not find comfortable, and good, consistent quality as always from Ibanez.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
I think it's usually £300-320 ish, but it's definitely worth it, should carry you for a few years!
Hey guys. I ordered my bass online to save some money and it showed up yesterday, I had a blast trying to learn how to pop 'n slap.

Only problem is that there is a couple of cracks in the finish. One runs out from a pickguard screw and the other runs out from a bridge screw. So obviously someone has tightened them a little too much and the clear coat has just split.

The company are going to give me some money off though, since it's purely aesthetic I may just keep it as it's barely noticeable. If the compensation offered is too low I'll just get it replaced.

But yeah, thanks muchly for the advice. I can already tell i'm going to have a great time learning bass. It's hilarious switching back to guitar after playing bass for an hour or so, feels like i'm playing a ukelele!