Okay, so I've been playing for about 2 years now, and I feel I haven't made much progress. I want to move into playing leads, but I have no idea where to start. Everything I try, I can't get it. The hardest thing I can play is the solo to Seize The Day by Avenged Sevenfold, and I still struggle with the quick part in the middle. I really need advice, and and possibly some songs to start moving into lead stuff. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much!!!
Hi SkilletFan. I listened to that solo. It doesn't sound overly-challenging. If I were you I would learn some scales if you haven't already and get a drum machine and just play. Just learn the Minor and Major scales. If you are having trouble figuring out solos get a computer app like the Transkriber by Reed Kotler. It's what I use. Pretty flexible compared to anything else I have seen, although it's been awhile since I've checked out any competing apps. Once you start really practicing your scales, you may find that you don't have beat yourself over the head trying to play stuff just like it is on the record. Not that I don't try myself to nail everything note for note. It's a hard habit to break. : )
+1 to learning scales, it's better to know why you can play those notes and not just copycat what you hear on an album. If you learn how to improvise a solo, it'll be a lot easier to play what you hear.
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender American Special Strat
Assorted Boss and Hardwire pedals
Vox AC15C1
Another bit of advice: play in a band environment. Jamming with people really helps you learn, as opposed to just learning from tabs by yourself.
You know, you're probably reading this saying "Hey, I'm bored, maybe this'll be funny?"
It's not. Too bad. No, I am not refunding you those 6 seconds of your life. So :P