Hi all, so I've got a bit of a situation, i decided to stop by Guitar Center today and check out some strats since I've been really gasing for one, I dont usually like strats but I figured I could compile some info on what I did like and see if I could get a warmoth one. So I play every single strat in the Fender room, MiM/Mij/Mia/road worn/ everything, i played atleast 20 strats and I come to the conclusion that I really dont like them, the sound is there, but the feel is not.

So I move on to see what I think of the Telecasters, these were not bad but I really wasnt feeling it. So I went to the acoustic room and played some acoustics, lots of Martin's and Taylors but again, it felt like I was just going through the motions, so I walk over to the Gibson room to see what's in there. 4 Sg Standards, 2 Sg specials, 1 sg classic, 2 Les Paul Studios, an Explorer and a Custom Shop ES-339. (Note: there were a few custom shop guitars in the glass but you have to have a sales guy open it so i didnt go there). So I've never played a 339 and decided I should, and, well it felt like crap to say the truth, as did the explorer, and the sg standards. The studios were alright but they've been out on the floor for a while (2 years) so I can't judge them because thousands of little kids have crapped on these things. So then I go the the Sg classic and it was really neck heavy, like the body was weightless. So I figure I mind as well test out the Sg specials, I grab both off the wall and notice the black one has a very nice weight to it, I put the red one back up and get the black one on a strap, it is balanced very well. The body had a very nice weight, my main complaint with Sg's is the thin neck and light body, but this had neither, it had a nice chunky neck and probably was just over 7 pounds. So I start to play it and I'm like "Damn!" I liked it, I never liked Sg's but this one had a certain feeling and I've been thinking about it all day now. I played well over 50 guitars and this one stood out.

It's a 2009 Gibson SG Special in black (I think it's the satin one), listed at $800. You guys think I should buy it? I just got a crapload of new gear this summer and only have $200 left but my parents said they would loan me the rest. So you think I should buy it or save my money? If I save my money it would most likely go towards a new guitar next summer, most likely another les paul or a telecaster, or even a new acoustic, im not sure really.

tl;dr I found a guitar I like a lot, it's not what I was looking for but it feels really nice in my hands, buy it or save the money?

Thanks!
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
i think u answered ur own question if ur just gonna save the money and buy another guitar anyways y not but this one now
pro tools operator certified
agile in-ceptor 727
gibson:les-paul studio
fender:strat
ibanez:prestiege s2170se s520ex
esp:ec-1000vb
splawn nitro kt88s
genz-bends g-flex

Quote by Punkismygod
U sure u want a floydrose? those things will make your nerves explode
well if you went through all that trouble not liking any guitar you tried then finding the perfect one, id say go for it
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
If you don't like these guitars, what was the point of trying every single one?...
RoboHendrix wrote:

megaironpriest wrote:

Glad to see Bruce and Rob on there.

Stevie Wonder is a great singer but he would be really boring the watch, he just sits there the whole time

Stevie Wonder is blind...moron...
Quote by Polaris666
If you don't like these guitars, what was the point of trying every single one?...

well i wanted to see if there would be any i liked
Lets jump in a pool

Quote by hawk_kst
Buy it...

Lets jump in a pool

It sounds like your mind is already made up, and you're asking a kind of dumb question, it should be obvious...

Anyway, since you seem like one of those guys, I just want to say this (and I've seen it said in threads, before, and I love people who bring it up): there's more out there than Fenders and Gibsons. Don't forget that.

If you had to look that hard for a guitar you were okay with, maybe it's time to try some new stuff.

Just saying.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
It sounds like your mind is already made up, and you're asking a kind of dumb question, it should be obvious...

Anyway, since you seem like one of those guys, I just want to say this (and I've seen it said in threads, before, and I love people who bring it up): there's more out there than Fenders and Gibsons. Don't forget that.

If you had to look that hard for a guitar you were okay with, maybe it's time to try some new stuff.

Just saying.

ive got some ibanez too! dont worry!
Lets jump in a pool

Your Guitar Center has Gibson and Fender rooms? Wow, My Guitar center has a Guitar room. Anyway about the SG, if you really like it go for it. I would still look around for a little before buying though. Just in case you see something else. I would also check out other brands than Fender and Gibson. I would recommend you test drive something else at Guitar Center like maybe a PRS SE (highly recommend) or an Ibanez ART or something like that.
Ibanez 540R
Ibanez RG1421F Prestige
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG120
Charvel 275DLX
Peavey Grind BXP 6-string Bass
Quote by TheZombieRitual
Your Guitar Center has Gibson and Fender rooms? Wow, My Guitar center has a Guitar room. Anyway about the SG, if you really like it go for it. I would still look around for a little before buying though. Just in case you see something else. I would also check out other brands than Fender and Gibson. I would recommend you test drive something else at Guitar Center like maybe a PRS SE (highly recommend) or an Ibanez ART or something like that.

no i did go through some other guitars, mainly the se series from prs and theyre pretty good ive got to say, but the flat top really annoys me
Lets jump in a pool