I finally broke into my gear fund today and bought myself a Bluebird.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Bluebird/

my mic collection is very very modest at the moment, so it is the best mic i own...

and now for a quick review.

Amazing mic for the money (it's under $300). very clear mic with nice crisp highs and smooth lows. can be a bit overly bright especially on some voices, but it really shines when used as a body mic on an acoustic guitar. pair that with a good sdc on the neck, and you've got a killer sound. works very well on some voices, but as already said, can be too bright and harsh on certain singers. It's also good for miking guitar amps. close miking works best with cleaner tones, but with a more dirty tone, put the mic a few feet back with a good dynamic up close, and again, you've got a killer sound.

The upgraded shockmount was a pleasant surprise, as i'm used to the old clip style that was a little questionable at times... the mic now screws into it much like a Neumann and feels much much safer.

it's a very versatile mic and an excellent choice for those on a budget that need a good LDC that can do pretty much anything well (and some things great).
See my sig for the actual gear review thread...ya may want to post in there!

The Bluebird mics are quite nice for the price. I still say starting out with a Rode NT1A is a good thing to do but the BlueBird isn't a bad step from the Rode.
it wasn't so much for the review i did the thread. mostly something to break up the cheap interfaces and how to record for under $50 threads that are everywhere these days... plus i was feeling quite good about the new purchase of course...

i'll admit i didn't check the rules about posting those, so my apologies if there's a rule against it. i'll know better next time. although i dont think it's a bad idea for people to post new gear threads. i dont hang around the review thread much (as you can see) so i never know when people get new stuff they're excited about. i guess i could swing by a little more often.

i've never used an NT1A but i have heard good things about it. i'd used the bluebird a lot before so i knew it was a solid investment, and with my lack of money, i needed a safe buy. i feel pretty confident that no matter how much my mic collection grows, i'll always find a use for a bluebird. the next mic(s) on my list will be a pair of NT5's.
Quote by moody07747
The Bluebird mics are quite nice for the price. I still say starting out with a Rode NT1A is a good thing to do but the BlueBird isn't a bad step from the Rode.

How does the NT1A do for acoustic guitars? I'm considering getting both a large and small diaphragm condenser microphone for experimenting recording my acoustic.

A website in the UK currently has a deal where I can get a Rode M3 for 0.50p if I bought an NT1A (for £135 + p&p), so this looks like a good deal on a tight budget.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
Quote by sandyman323
i'll admit i didn't check the rules about posting those, so my apologies if there's a rule against it.
no rules against it. as you said, nice welcome break from some of the same old threads. i personally love seeing reviews of new gear, and the more in depth the better and especially in R&R, clips are always more than welcome.

and contrats on the new mic