Yesterday, my friends and I did an action short, for our just-starting film project. I've reviewed it several times, but I am not satisfied with what I have written down for improvements, so, I am asking you guys what you think should be improved. This was my very first time working with video editing software, and I am trying to get used to it.

Here it is
Rofl?

Lol Cross. The Power of LOL Compels you!
It's annoying to hear the sound cut out momentarily when you switch shots. Also, there's too much of a pause between each character's dialogue.

EDIT: Likin' the soundtrack, though.
Last edited by Jon777 at Jul 30, 2010,
what the hell am I watching?

edit: I agree, nice soundtrack. this is pretty amusing.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Jul 30, 2010,
I would add color corrections for a more professional film look, this could make this piece 10x better, what are you using?
Cross / kros /: a thing they nail people to
-Jorn-
The acting could've been a little more realistic, ya know?
Also, I agree Jon777.
Along with, it could've been filmed just a bit better.
Gear:
Epiphone Archtop Dot
Ibanez RG120
Peavey ValveKing 112
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss Distortion Ds-1
MXR Carbon Copy
Rocktron Banshee Talk box
To be honest TS, I think it kinda sucks. I'm sorry. Bad acting, the sound cutting off between shots and an overall bland plot make this a pain to watch. This is just my opinion though friend. I believe you can make something good, this just isn't it.
Quote by Sinister Waffle
Who pirates Winrar? that has to be the most passive aggressive program I've ever seen.

"hey you should really buy me, the 40 days is up"
* hits X button*
" Oh okay, maybe next time?"

You sir have just won a thousand internets.
wheres the cowbell?

shredding noob

Ibanez Grg270 Bkn with pro diy half-scalloped fretboard
Kustom dart through sony eq and tuner

Use longer visual dissolves if you do intend to use them though they look tacky and shouldnt be done often.
A music track is supposed to support dialog and not overlay it, therefore turn your music level down. Also with music make sure that its timing works well with your cuts though make sure you dont structure your visuals around it as music as it is only to support.
Whatever action a character is doing in one shot they should be in that same position in another, your guys look there jumping all around the place and it becomes distracting.
When cutting sound try putting 2-4frame dissolves in and also work on checker boarding it should you have a decent program.
To do this put every 2nd clip of audio down on a lower track so half your audio is on track 1 the other on track 2. After this put 2-4frame 'handles' on the begging and end of each sound clip. This technique along with dissolves makes a smoother audio track
Quote by jornvdcb
I would add color corrections for a more professional film look, this could make this piece 10x better, what are you using?

VideoPad

And I know it sucks, it was mainly a test.
Rofl?

Also dont have actors look down the barrel of the camera lens, looks like shit.
i would up the contrast a little and try to darken it a little more, maybe go for a more saturated colour balance and get the greens to stand out more

i wouldnt jump around with the shots so much, keep the camera in one shot for longer- especially when it is just talking, you dont want it to feel like you are forcing the drama

film it in the evening so it is a bit darker (but not night vision) and on a wet day so the actors are a bit pissed about having to be out in the rain

dont cut it up to much when editing, use the camera to get what you want
now extra flamey
If you're gonna have one consistent ambient, it's always better to use a shotgun mic that only records voice, then add the ambient sound in later and allow it to play across edits. With the sound skipping, it feels like there is time passing between dialogue.
Quote by T.s.e
Oh the acting...

It's wonderful isn't it?

Rofl?

Needs better filiming.
At around 2:00 you can see what looks like civilization/houses behind the trees.
Oh and at 4:40 (around). Lol
Last edited by Braiton at Jul 30, 2010,
Well from a combat standpoint, I could give you a wall of text on what could have been improved on. I would do horrible things for a set of MARPATs though, good camo choice.

Otherwise, I don't really have much to offer other than what those other guys said.
Quote by bendystraw
If you're gonna have one consistent ambient, it's always better to use a shotgun mic that only records voice, then add the ambient sound in later and allow it to play across edits. With the sound skipping, it feels like there is time passing between dialogue.

It wasn't my intention to have the background sound, It was the noise being emitted from the woods we were in, it got very irritating.
Rofl?