Page 1 of 2
For some reason that I can’t quite figure out, Stratocasters always look/feel like cheap “plasticky” guitars that might fall apart or break. I’m not arguing that they are amazing instruments, you only need to look at the product and tone of Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton (to name a few) to know that a Stratocaster is a versatile and quality machine. This doesn’t ease my feeling that they are made cheaply, and I don’t know the source of this feeling.

This hasn’t really concerned me in the past – I just don’t play Stratocasters. I’ve played Gibson, Epiphone, Ibanez and even a beginner Behringer model. Oddly enough, I prefer Ibanez super strat type models. But here is the rub – I’ve been on a Hendrix kick lately, and I need to buy a Stratocaster now. I don’t have to have a great model – just a serviceable one. I’m not going to spend a fortune – looking at top of the line Squier to bottom of the line Fender strats. My problem I keep coming up to is I can’t pick one out because they look like cheap trash guitars to me. I don’t know what happened that soured my perspective towards Stratocasters.

I was just curious if anyone else feels this way...
i hear ya, was in the same boat this morning, looking for a strat and not liking them. If I were you I would check out the Squier classic vibe, they are very solid guitars.
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
All guitars feel like cheap pieces of plastic to me, mainly cause I've very physical with things, and I break things easily, stupid plastic shit. Anyway, you just have to look past it and trust that it's a quality instrument.

The top end Squiers such as the Classic Vibe Series are actually better than the MIM Fenders in most cases.

And besides, Strats ARE the toughest guitars on the market, I saw a video of SRV smashing his guitar on the ground, then he kicked it, stomped on it, and shook it for some kind of solo, it was insane, and it still around, "Lenny" is the name of the guitar I think.
???

My Strat feels solid as a rock, idk what the hell you guys are talking about.

If you want a Strat with great quality and a good price, grab a Mexican standard HSS. Legendary Strat tone, 450ish price tag... Weirdos.
"You can drink an ugly chick hot, but you can’t drink a fat chick skinny."

Fender: HSS Stratocaster

Modulus: 1991 Q5

Peavey:158BASS
Marshall: MG30FDX
Acoustic: B200
Quote by bnull24
I don't see why you feel that way. Maybe because they are light in weight?

That would make sense, if the guy didn't play Ibanez, which is as light as it gets.

Strats are solid, no frill guitars. Maybe Not having a locking nut or FL/comparable bridge makes it feel cheap?

I'm as lost as you are bud

I don't like a lot of the solid paint jobs on strats. A natural stain on a strat feels much much classier, I left my ash strat with just a couple coats of poly.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Hmmm I am not sure if you are a troll or for real. Squire Yes they are cheap and most feel cheap but not plastic. MiM are no different to me then Squier but, MIA Fenders while not even close to feeling like a Gibson( or the other way around)feel like a solid guitar.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
? I'm lost bro I got a strat that weighs just as much as a 80s les paul custom lol...there pretty solid...you can treat them like crap and they will always be ready

Btw about the SRV guitar,I don't know exactly what you saw so I may be wrong but I think your thinking of the guitar called "number 1" lenny was the reddish/brown strat with the maple neck used for ballads he never went crazy with that one on anything I've saw of him....(And I've saw A LOT lol )
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Quote by katalyzt13
For some reason that I can’t quite figure out, Stratocasters always look/feel like cheap “plasticky” guitars that might fall apart or break. I’m not arguing that they are amazing instruments, you only need to look at the product and tone of Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton (to name a few) to know that a Stratocaster is a versatile and quality machine. This doesn’t ease my feeling that they are made cheaply, and I don’t know the source of this feeling.

This hasn’t really concerned me in the past – I just don’t play Stratocasters. I’ve played Gibson, Epiphone, Ibanez and even a beginner Behringer model. Oddly enough, I prefer Ibanez super strat type models. But here is the rub – I’ve been on a Hendrix kick lately, and I need to buy a Stratocaster now. I don’t have to have a great model – just a serviceable one. I’m not going to spend a fortune – looking at top of the line Squier to bottom of the line Fender strats. My problem I keep coming up to is I can’t pick one out because they look like cheap trash guitars to me. I don’t know what happened that soured my perspective towards Stratocasters.

no. they are wood.
if you don't like Fenders then buy a carvin bolt or something.

and top of the line Squiers are not a fortune.
i'm guessing your idea of a quality guitar might be a starter, in which case, explains the plastic comment.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Bhaok
Hmmm I am not sure if you are a troll or for real. Squire Yes they are cheap and most feel cheap but not plastic. MiM are no different to me then Squier but, MIA Fenders while not even close to feeling like a Gibson( or the other way around)feel like a solid guitar.

wow, i wish i had room to sig this.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I am a Fender guy. I have a Strat and a Jag. I have owned several strats and never had a problem with them. They are not too light...but not too heavy. I think they have a good feel if you get the right one. I have beaten, dropped, thrown, and hit a guy pretty hard with a strat, and the worst I did was chip the paint. At one point, I had a Gibson SG. I love those guitars...they are lighter. So much easier on my back. I was playing a show once and my straplock failed on me. I was walking around and didn't have a great grip on the neck...the headstock snapped right off. I had to run over and plug into my Jag pretty quickly. I never had that happen with my Fenders and they have been abused.
There is no greater joy than soaring high on the wings of your dreams, except maybe the joy of watching a dreamer who has nowhere to land but in the ocean of reality.

I'm back!
Quote by Bhaok
Hmmm I am not sure if you are a troll or for real.

No, I'm not a troll, this is a valid issue I'm having. Again, I'll stress that I KNOW in my mind that strats are solid good instruments. I've heard beautiful tone out of even some cheaper squiers, but they still look cheap to me. I am thinking maybe it has something to do with the combination of soft curves and plastic knobs. The headstock on them looks goofy to me. The finish on most of them looks so thick it makes the guitar almost look like it is made of plastic. I like some of the burst finishes, especially the tobacco burst finishes...when I eventually get one I'm gonna have to change the knobs out for some more solid looking knobs, and probably find a new pickguard that doesn't look like a toy to me...just crazy that I can't get over this thing in my head so gonna have to do these purely cosmetic upgrades just to satisfy my weird little bit of craziness.

As a side note, I can't stand guitars with maple flame top type finishes either - which a lot of people prefer - they look ugly and gimmicky to me. Weird aesthetic sense on my part, I guess.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Your just picky TS, very very very freaken picky.

sadly ive got the same feelings as him, but i dont want to get in the way of your 357...
Lets jump in a pool

Seems like you're judging it based on the simplistic paint jobs and being overly picky based on looks.

I'll admit, Strats don't look like much. Then again GSP and Anderson Silva are very unassuming individuals.

Quote by gizmodious
Seems like you're judging it based on the simplistic paint jobs and being overly picky based on looks.

I'll admit, Strats don't look like much. Then again GSP and Anderson Silva are very unassuming individuals.

i actually think tobacco bursts that are worn down a bit are the sexiest guitars ive ever seen!
Lets jump in a pool

Wow I'm glad everyone don't think like you bro that classic guitar wouldn't have been around since 1954 lol....I do agree with the paint/finish being thick sometimes I usually "self relic" mine with canned air and keys and tying it to the back of my car and driving up and down my gravel driveway a few dozen times...lol (seriously).
I wouldn't be afraid of buying one man even if its a squier.you say u just got a hendrix vibe,well what if its goes away and you don't want the guitar no sense buying a high end guitar
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
You want to know why Strats feel like cheap plastic, listen up!

The guys at Fender couldn't find the type of wood they started making Strats with since 1990, so they started using plastic which was voiced to simulate the wood's natural tone with varying success.

The result is what we have today: cheap, plastic-y feeling Strats.

Guys like Hendrix used the traditional "MOW" (made of wood) Strats - feel free to look that up on Wikipedia. That's why those guys you mentioned had great tone.

As you mentioned, they feel like they are going to break or fall apart. The reason for this is, that the bacteria producing the wood-voiced-plastic start 'eating' the guitar from inside which makes the material's structure very unstable.

However, you can still get MOW-Strats, but that process is a bit difficult and might seem odd.
There's still some Strat-wood left, but it's only a limited amount. They make customshop MOW-Strats for roughly 15,000$, though only if Leo Fender's ghost finds you worthy of getting one.
This means that you have to survive in the nature on your own for two months, equipped with nothing more than a non-MOW-Strat and a small Fender tube amp. During those two months you have to take care of your equipped, only one little scratch and you will never get a MOW-Strat. Also you have to write a song, the best song you'll ever write.
Oh, and beware of the bears and pumas living in the woods your quest is taking place.

Now, after 2 months you come back, your equipment is checked by Fender employees for scratches, cracks, etc.
If the condition is good enough you will be taken to the basement of the building into a room where a lion is waiting for you.
This lion contains Leo's soul (Leo -> Lion - it's not rocket science). Also this lion is quite hungry. You have to play the song you wrote in those 2 months and the lion will do one of the following things with following results:

1) Your song is a masterpiece, after paying 15,000$ you can get your customshop MOW-Strat.
2) Your song is not good enough, the lion will attack and kill you.
3) Your song is so riddiculously bad that the lion leaves the room and you'll never be allowed to touch a guitar again.

However, I think this shizzle is not worth it, I'd rather buy a G&L or something.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Last edited by JesusCrisp at Jul 31, 2010,
Quote by JesusCrisp
You want to know why Strat feel like cheap plastic, listen up!

The guys at Fender couldn't find the type of wood they started making Strats with since 1990, so they started using plastic which was voiced to simulate the wood's natural tone with varying success.

I didn't know Alder was plastic.

I'm not discounting your post, but some proof is in line. This claim is too ridiculous to take word of mouth.

perhaps the fact than the strat is the most copied cheapie guitar there is has some bearing on your feelings. i'm a strat player and although they may not be the most exciting guitar visually they kick ass in the sound dept. oh and i have a strat with a flame maple top why should the les paul guys have all the fun.
It feels plasticky to you and others probably because of the giant pickguard and the trem cover in the back.

There are Strats without PGs though, check out the MIJ Aerodyne Strat, the one without the PG and it comes with Brass tone and volume knobs. I know that there are other similar, discontinued models.

It would give you the same feel as the LTDs, Ibanezes, and Schecters that don't have PGs.

JesusCrisp's post was quite amusing.
Live Guitars and Amps:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Gibson Es-335
Fender Telecaster
Matchless Dc-30
Vox AC30H2
Pedals:
Boss Tuner
Keeley Compressor
Kelley Katana
Ibanez Ts-9
Fulltone OCD
Ernieball Volume Jr.
Boss DD-20
Last edited by GibsonnFender at Jul 30, 2010,
If the strats your holding feel like cheap plastic then you are not looking at anything except Squires and starter strats that come in kits for $199. Unless you have somebodies Guitar Hero guitar. All of my strats are solid as a rock.

ESP LTD RZK-600
4 Custom Strats
1 Custom Soloist (Warmoth)
1 Custom Telecaster (Warmoth)
2007 Jimmie Vaughan Sig Strat

Callaham Hardware & Bridges
Fender Custom Shop 69's
Dimarzio Breed Pickups

Blues Junior Amp
BlackStar HT Club 40 Amp
I feel the same way about most Strats. At the lower ranges, they feel very cheap. I've played some MIMs and they were terrible. This was after I got my American Deluxe though. That one blew me away. It felt higher quality than Gibsons. It also looked great. The American Deluxe line has much better finishes that look higher quality than their cheaper counterparts. There are a lot of great looking higher end MIMs and American Standards too. I felt the same way as Strats as you but there are some great ones out there. I hate most Strats.

Here it is:
http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n6/JELIFISH19/Strat/
Pictures can't capture the sparkle in the finish though.
Quote by katalyzt13
No, I'm not a troll, this is a valid issue I'm having. Again, I'll stress that I KNOW in my mind that strats are solid good instruments. I've heard beautiful tone out of even some cheaper squiers, but they still look cheap to me. I am thinking maybe it has something to do with the combination of soft curves and plastic knobs. The headstock on them looks goofy to me. The finish on most of them looks so thick it makes the guitar almost look like it is made of plastic. I like some of the burst finishes, especially the tobacco burst finishes...when I eventually get one I'm gonna have to change the knobs out for some more solid looking knobs, and probably find a new pickguard that doesn't look like a toy to me...just crazy that I can't get over this thing in my head so gonna have to do these purely cosmetic upgrades just to satisfy my weird little bit of craziness.

As a side note, I can't stand guitars with maple flame top type finishes either - which a lot of people prefer - they look ugly and gimmicky to me. Weird aesthetic sense on my part, I guess.

Every guitar has plastic in it some where. Guitar is not about fashion or looks it is about the music. If you can not get past the headstock or grain pattern of the wood I suggest you try another instrument such as the flute or oboe maybe the triangle or cowbell. Yes!! MORE COWBELL!!!
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by gizmodious
I didn't know Alder was plastic.

I'm not discounting your post, but some proof is in line. This claim is too ridiculous to take word of mouth.

I was just joking dude.

Strats are made of wood.

Well, at least the pre 1990 ones. Exceptions are the some of the 1989 ones, where they tried the first non-MOW-Strats, and MOW-customshops.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
I was just joking dude.

Strats are made of wood.

Well, at least the pre 1990 ones. Exceptions are the some of the 1989 ones, where they tried the first non-MOW-Strats, and MOW-customshops.

Well played sir. I was like MUTHA ****A!!! lol its my love of fenders

Quote by katalyzt13
For some reason that I can’t quite figure out, Stratocasters always look/feel like cheap “plasticky” guitars.

i was in the same place a few months back. "plasticky" is exactly how i thought of them.

then i played a nice old one. it didn't sound or feel like any of the strats i'd played recently.

so i narrowed my focus to good ones, or more specifically, old ones.

i ended up with an early '80s mij '62 ri. and i am very happy with it and it doesn't seem cheap or plasticky to me, at all.

good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
[quote="gregs1020... i ended up with an early '80s mij '62 ri. and i am very happy with it and it doesn't seem cheap or plasticky to me, at all.

good luck.Do you have the Pink one? Pink automatically gives it better tone than the Sunburst or CAR or other colors!

Quote by gregs1020
i was in the same place a few months back. "plasticky" is exactly how i thought of them.

then i played a nice old one. it didn't sound or feel like any of the strats i'd played recently.

so i narrowed my focus to good ones, or more specifically, old ones.

i ended up with an early '80s mij '62 ri. and i am very happy with it and it doesn't seem cheap or plasticky to me, at all.

good luck.

80's = MOW = win!
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
If you're worried about how well they're built, let me assure you that Fender Strats are nearly indestructible. I have a cheap MIM strat that's about 6 years old. It was in the top floor of a building hit directly by a F-4 tornado about 3 years ago. Couple that with the beating I have given it over the years, and there's not much I can think of other than taking a saw to it that you could do to break it. That guitar still plays the way it did the day before the tornado.

But, if you're just inexplicably inclined against strats, no need in getting one. That feeling will always be in the back of your mind. Get out to the guitar store. Play some high end strats, some low end strats, some old strats, some signature models, etc. I'm sure you'll find something that feels good.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by TNfootballfan62
If you're worried about how well they're built, let me assure you that Fender Strats are nearly indestructible. I have a cheap MIM strat that's about 6 years old. It was in the top floor of a building hit directly by a F-4 tornado about 3 years ago. Couple that with the beating I have given it over the years, and there's not much I can think of other than taking a saw to it that you could do to break it. That guitar still plays the way it did the day before the tornado.

But, if you're just inexplicably inclined against strats, no need in getting one. That feeling will always be in the back of your mind. Get out to the guitar store. Play some high end strats, some low end strats, some old strats, some signature models, etc. I'm sure you'll find something that feels good.
Yes!

I remember that one!

Quote by Ippon
Do you have the Pink one? Pink automatically gives it better tone than the Sunburst or CAR or other colors!

seafoam green!

Quote by JesusCrisp
80's = MOW = win!

yea, it induces wood.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by TNfootballfan62
hit directly by a F-4 tornado

That's so awesome that words cannot even describe it. My MIA just begs for abuse like that.
breaking hearts
&
breaking guitars
Quote by Kevy Absolution
That's so awesome that words cannot even describe it. My MIA just begs for abuse like that.

No it doesn't. Trust me.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
So, I've decided I have to buy some form of strat for the single coils and synchronous tremolo bridge. What would be the cheapest strat - squier or fender - that you would buy? I really just need to make sure the neck, body and bridge are passable as I will probably replace everything else. I don't care about the fender name, so a squier doesn't hurt my feelings and this will never be my main guitar, though it may very well end up being a strong second after some pickup/tuning key mods. I just want to get the feel of a strat when I play Hendrix, Beck and Clapton and I don't want to spend any more than absolutely necessary, and I like modding stuff, anyway, so I wouldn't want a higher priced strat because I'd feel bad about modding it.
For a traditional SSS strat, if you want to feel and hear quality of what they can be, go try a Eric Johnson model. I think you will say wow after. Of course you get what you pay for.

Fat strat wise, the deluxe and discontinued American Floyd Rose model are of upmost quality.

I heard good things about Big Apple strats also.
Quote by katalyzt13
play Hendrix, Beck and Clapton.

Those guys played other guitars besides strats sometimes. In fact I think Purple Haze was recorded using a LP or SG if I remember.

With a HSS config strat you can still do all of their songs. Although I am not worried about copying completely a original tone of a cover song personally.

But since you have a bad impression of Fender stratocasters, I suggest just trying a upper end model just to get a idea of what can be. Then you can judge other strat models against it.
Page 1 of 2