Page 1 of 2
My technique is horrendous and I can't play anything. I can't seem to fix any of it, no matter how much I try. I'm bloody sick of this. I'm seriously considering giving it up at this point. Any advice? Hell, even some words of encouragement would be much appreciated at this point
you didnt really say what was wrong but go check some technique videos on youtube, or consider guitar lessons. my guitar teacher helped me alot with my technique.
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood
if the elephant on the left is green, and the spider on the right is blue, what is in the middle and WHAT THE FUCK COLOR IS IT??

Quote by ThatGuy153à
Yo stop tripping, its just a Purple Bag'O'Green

i dont wanna melt in 2030
if you are aware that your playing is shit.... then you already have the biggest obstacle covered. now you simply need to pick ONE tiny thing you don't like about your playing, whatever it might be... and work only to improve that. once it's improved, pick the next tiny thing... once you run out of tiny things, check back with us.

and for the record, i'll reiterate what everyone should already know... there is no speed-pass to learning guitar. it literally takes two or three years for the average player to go from total newb to being half-decent. being fully decent usually takes even longer. i know i put in 4-8 hours a day for my first few years because i constantly wanted to get my technique to where i could play what i hear in my head, and now, even after 9 years, i still don't think i'm all the way there. i'm definitely at a point where i'd say i'm a ****in good guitar player, but i learned early on that there is no end to it... you simply need to power through the hard times until you can play something good, and then just keep going, literally until you are too old and feeble to play anymore.
Quote by guitarscreams
you didnt really say what was wrong but go check some technique videos on youtube, or consider guitar lessons. my guitar teacher helped me alot with my technique.

It's not a case of what's wrong, it's what is right? Which I'm pretty sure can be answered with a SFA.

And I can't afford a teacher, I'm barely getting by as it is atm.
frigginjerk covered it dude.

if you really arent enjoying yourself then stop doing it. im a decent guitar player..and i know that even back when i first started and SUCKED, i had a blast doing it. i couldnt strum, i couldnt pick correctly, my fingers were never placed right, i would mute strings, i didnt get the theory...but when i finally hit that first chord correctly, it was worth it. your not going to wake up and be a good player. and if you're this frustrated over just starting and not being good then you need to stop. put the guitar away and pick up the bass (just a joke all you bassists out there. no disrespect intended )

seriously though, relax. take your time. be patient. figure out the finger placements and strum gently.

its a journey dude. enjoy it
Where are you now and where do you want to get to?
Honestly, if you feel you're doing nothing right then go to the basics and work on those, things like posture, hand positions, the way you fret notes and the origins of your motions.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by SoonAsleep
frigginjerk covered it dude.

if you really arent enjoying yourself then stop doing it. im a decent guitar player..and i know that even back when i first started and SUCKED, i had a blast doing it. i couldnt strum, i couldnt pick correctly, my fingers were never placed right, i would mute strings, i didnt get the theory...but when i finally hit that first chord correctly, it was worth it. your not going to wake up and be a good player. and if you're this frustrated over just starting and not being good then you need to stop. put the guitar away and pick up the bass (just a joke all you bassists out there. no disrespect intended )

seriously though, relax. take your time. be patient. figure out the finger placements and strum gently.

its a journey dude. enjoy it

I've been "playing" nearly two years now, and can still do F all, that's why I'm frustrated. I do enjoy it, especially that once in a blue moon I get something right, I'm just getting really pissed off about not progressing.
Dude stop crying who said guitar was easy. Sometimes you will struggle but only with intense work and suffering you will overcome your obstacles.

There is so much decent material on the Internet which is also free, explore it
learn songs and itll get your hopes up. and if you cant afford a teacher just pm me questions about techniques and ill give you tips and tricks to learn them. i know my techniques better than anything so im a good resource for this kind of stuff
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood
if the elephant on the left is green, and the spider on the right is blue, what is in the middle and WHAT THE FUCK COLOR IS IT??

Quote by ThatGuy153à
Yo stop tripping, its just a Purple Bag'O'Green

i dont wanna melt in 2030
it takes alot of patience and practice to become good at anything.

don`t give up, stop comparing yourself to everyone else.

what is it you want to learn and how much do you actually know `cos sweet fa isn`t a realistic answer, you must know some chords or major scale or at best a pentatonic shape.

what genre are you trying play when you learn covers.

if you want help you`ll get it in these forums but you need to tell us what you want help not have a mindless rant.

how many hours a day are you practicing

probably the 1st step would be to get a practice routine setup for you, there`s loads of threads on routines so use the searchbar first
Last edited by ibanezgod1973 at Jul 30, 2010,
Quote by ibanezgod1973
don`t give up, stop comparing yourself to everyone else.

It's hard not to compare myself to others though

what is it you want to learn and how much do you actually know `cos sweet fa isn`t a realistic answer, you must know some chords or major scale or at best a pentatonic shape.

I know A minor, E minor, F major, C# minor and D diminished chords. I know the C major and E minor scales as well, and understand the basic theory behind the chords and scales.

what genre are you trying play when you learn covers.

I've tried learning:
Enter Sandman, Master Of Puppets, The Unforgiven and Hero Of The Day by Metallica
Dying In Your Arms, Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation and Kirisute Gomen by Trivium
Kashmir and Stairway To Heaven by Led Zep
Don't Fear The Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult
Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns 'N' Roses
Am I Evil? by Diamond Head
Into The Coven and Evil by Mercyful Fate
Gerudo Valley and the Song Of Storms from Zelda ( )
Wake Me Up When September Ends by Green Day
Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana

I think that's everything I've tries

if you want help you`ll get it in these forums but you need to tell us what you want help not have a mindless rant.

To be fair, the rant, and therefore by extension, this thread, was just to get it off my chest

how many hours a day are you practicing

I have no other hobbies ATM, So quite a few, though it varies, and it has been less recently as I get really discouraged when I do.
It took me a long time. For the longest time, my playing felt really up tight and mechanical. There were definately times when I felt like quitting, where I felt like I just didn't have it, that I must be missing something I just couldn't find. And yeah, hearing some kid who'd been playing only a few years totally tearing it up didn't do a whole lot to improve my mood!
All I can suggest is to stick at it, and enjoy the small victories along the way, even if it's just getting the hang of a single riff or chord change. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself. It's easy to fall into the trap of "I should be at skill x because I've been playing for y years". Do your best to resist that. It's not productive, because it's crying over spilled milk. Instead focus on what you can control - which is what you can do now to improve. As frigginjerk suggests pick small things you can knock out one by one.
The last thing - if at all possible get a teacher. It took me close to 10 years to get anywhere approaching decent. Thinking back over what I was doing over that period, there were several fundamental technique issues (and mentally, how I was approaching it) that I didn't know I had to fix. A good teacher could have pointed those out, and helped me work through them. That would have taken years off how long it took me to get decent.
Best of luck, and stick at it! There will be better days.
you`ve learned some advanced chords before mastering the basics. to play the tunes you`ve listed you need to know power chords and alot of them tunes also use pentatonic ideas. start with the basics.
Keep practicing. It takes time but trust me. On that day you finally nail your favorite song you'll be on top of the world. It will make it all worth it.
Quote by robhc
My technique is horrendous and I can't play anything. I can't seem to fix any of it, no matter how much I try. I'm bloody sick of this. I'm seriously considering giving it up at this point. Any advice? Hell, even some words of encouragement would be much appreciated at this point

heres an idea, dont waste your time on UG saying how much you suck with fancy colour and go practice...
genius

you say you have been playing for two years, if your struggling with smells like teen spirit that's just basic power chords. You should pick it up in no time.

You need to sort out your practice schedule

Helen
Don't give up. Seriously. Well, unless you really don't enjoy it and don't want to get better. But my advice would be to pick something that is wrong and really practice it and try and get it better. For example barre chords; when I first tried one it failed miserably and considered actually giving up guitar. But month after month I got better and better and when I finally got them properly, I felt really great satisfaction. Use YouTube or something to help you if you can't afford a guitar teacher and use the internet to help you. Take it one bit at a time. Work on your barre chords, then your scales, then your finger dexterity, then your strumming - one bit at a time. Keep practising songs until you can play them properly. Well that's kind of all I've got to say. I'd probably think of some more stuff later, lol. But anyway, good luck to you man, I hope you overcome your technique problems.
Gear:

Squier Tele Custom ii (p90 version)

Orange Crush 10

Fender CD140S
Sucking on the guitar is a rite of passage.

Play songs that are on your skill level (judging by your list you were playing some stuff that is definitely outside your comfort zone). Slow down difficult passages and then build up to the speed of the song. Learn the most common major/minor chord shapes, and then work your way into barre chords. Harvest by Opeth is a great song for barre chords, and one of the best songs for working on chord changes is Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd.

Not everyone agrees with me on this, but I don't think you should start worrying about technique until you're really ready. I didn't start worrying about my playing technique until I was fairly far along. The main reason I did it this way is because a lot of time working on technique can be monotonous and tedious, and a lot of beginners don't want to stomach hours of metronome clicking.

Don't worry about sucking. As many people have pointed out it takes a couple of years to be able to do anything decently.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Last edited by Vecheka at Jul 31, 2010,
Quote by robhc

I've tried learning:
  • Enter Sandman, Master Of Puppets, The Unforgiven and Hero Of The Day by Metallica
  • Dying In Your Arms, Gunshot To The Head Of Trepidation and Kirisute Gomen by Trivium
  • Kashmir and Stairway To Heaven by Led Zep
  • Don't Fear The Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult
  • Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns 'N' Roses
  • Am I Evil? by Diamond Head
  • Into The Coven and Evil by Mercyful Fate
  • Gerudo Valley and the Song Of Storms from Zelda ( )
  • Wake Me Up When September Ends by Green Day
  • Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana

I agree with Vecheka that these songs are probably outside of your comfort zone... Try playing things like very, very basic riffs you hear in songs.
I started out with stuff like "Smoke on the Water" and "Seven Nation Army."
Then I moved on to stuff like a slo-mo "Popcorn" and a really pathetic version of "Hall of the Mountain King." Just progress like that and you'll be fine.
Gotta finish my work, then play some grooves, so I can turn my room into a house of blues...
Play bass?

*I am a bassist and guitarist. Bass is easier unless you want to be John Entwistle or Cliff Burton. Deal with it.*
flip your guitar around. so that you're playing it lefty.

try to play anything at all.

That's where you started. you don't suck.
the strings will be upside-down soo its not like you just started at all.

But TS, practice cromatics with a metronome. this helps dexterity and speed
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Last edited by kakos at Aug 1, 2010,
...Unless you're Doyle Bramhall II.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, I don't really think that flipping the guitar over is the best course of action either.
Gotta finish my work, then play some grooves, so I can turn my room into a house of blues...
Last edited by BlueGreen at Aug 1, 2010,
I'm in the same boat as you. Been paying for about 2 years. Haven't improved much (atleast I think I haven't) and can't afford a teacher. Just have fun with it. The only way you get better is with [practuice. You may not know sheet music or 'official' theory by teaching yourself via trial and error. But everyone starts somewhere
Have a good one,
Phoenix
I didn't actually mean to start practising lefty mode. It just a thing to try for 2 minutes and resume. I doens't really matter which way the strings are since you suck ass anyway doing it like that..
Another thing it looks like no bobody has mentioned is you sort of have to actually feel the music you are trying to play.Enter Sandman should be easy as hell if you like that song.Maybe you just have no rhythem,I dunno.
Another thing,next time you do try to play that song loosely place the side of your palm on the bridge (if you don't already) and position it at a comfortable picking angle.Can't go wrong.
Last edited by MightyAri at Aug 2, 2010,
Have you tried to just play with your your guitar like a toy? Go to a park maybe, sit on a porch and forget about technicalities. Look around and put what you see into the guitar. Is there a kid on a skateboard? Try a slide on low E string 3-5-7. Try a simple hammer on/pull off on the same string. Do something on the guitar that you can do relatively well, like a D chord, then add or delete a string. Do an easy chord progression backwards and forwards until you can do it in your sleep. There's no easy answers, but try to end your sessions on a good note (no pun intended)!
Just looking at the songs you've tried to learn, I can see why you are getting frustrated. Especially here at UG, there are a lot of threads where people claim that stuff is super easy, but it's not. For me at least. Enter sandman is supposed to be super simple. I can play the opening riff, but the metal speed and rhythm's aren't easy, for me. The speed of changes, even the power chords is fast and frustrating.

I'm in a different spot than you. I'm old (in UG years), and have more money than time (which isn't to say I have a lot of money). I started last August, so I'm going on a year. I pay 80 bucks a month for lessons, even if I can't make it to all 4 (work, family, etc). I signed up for 2 summer concerts through the store where I take lessons (august 15th and 22). They paired me up with 5 other adults.

We do some Beatles songs, I, IV, V, 12 bar stuff. Slow Down and Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby. These are simple chord progressions...CFG and EAB, respectively. When there's a drummer, keyboarder, and 2 other guitarists, and a bass player...you can have a lot of fun, and not be singled out for sucking. You just try to keep the beat, and add accents or strum chords cleanly. I don't even like The Beatles, but it's still fun.

Also, it gets you out of your comfort zone and gets you over yourself. The guys in my rehearsals say I don't sound as bad as I think I do...I figure they gotta be lying, but they keep saying it and it builds confidence, and helps me get outta my shell.

I'm even singing (god help anyone who hears it) The Weight, by The Band, another easy song. We're doing it in G, so it's G, Bm, C mostly, except for the chorus where you need to do D, too.

Your barres, F (and Bm) will come, mine are still not clean, but they are clean enough when you play them in the cacophony of several other instruments. You just hit it and move on, and build strength. Someday they will come together.

TLDR: Sitting in your room practicing and agonizing and reading UG will make you think you suck. Find some people to play with, and play easier songs.
Last edited by Commodor 64 at Aug 2, 2010,
Bro I know exactly how you feel cause I was there once but I sucked it in and persevered with practice. I remembered my love for the instrument. You must purpose in your mind to succeed at all cost. Also, try practicing fewer techniques per session and apply them as soon as possible to your normal, playing that will help you feel some success.
Just keep playing!!!!!!

I've said the same thing as you a few times in my past. 2 years would go by and I would say to myself "You stupid idiot...If you would have just played every day for those 2 years you would be so much better". So now that's what I do...play as much as I can. I feel that I suck... but if I keep playing for 5 years....then I will be much better then if I didn't play at all!!

Just remember...time will pass, whether you play or not. So you might as well play.
why not post a clip or a vid up, if you use youtube you can post the link here and if you make it unlisted only those with a link can view it. lets here how good you really are.
Thanks guys for the (mostly) encouraging words.

why not post a clip or a vid up, if you use youtube you can post the link here and if you make it unlisted only those with a link can view it. lets here how good you really are.

I had actually thought of doing that, but I don't have a camera atm (I was silly and put the wrong charger in it, fried it), I'll see though if I have an older video that I could post.

EDIT: Just checked, I don't have any vids unfortunately.
Last edited by robhc at Aug 2, 2010,
Quote by robhc
Thanks guys for the (mostly) encouraging words.

I had actually thought of doing that, but I don't have a camera atm (I was silly and put the wrong charger in it, fried it), I'll see though if I have an older video that I could post.

EDIT: Just checked, I don't have any vids unfortunately.

I just took this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9ajhkULKBI

Sorry for crappy quality, I had to take it with the camera on my mobile phone. I played slightly worse than usual (stage fright lol), but not that much worse, so it gives a good idea of how crappy I am. I also had to use my acoustic as I don't have an amp atm for the electric, so I wasn't able to play a good few songs. It would be much appreciated it you could watch it and give some (constructive) feedback. Many thanks.
Quote by robhc
I just took this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9ajhkULKBI

Sorry for crappy quality, I had to take it with the camera on my mobile phone. I played slightly worse than usual (stage fright lol), but not that much worse, so it gives a good idea of how crappy I am. I also had to use my acoustic as I don't have an amp atm for the electric, so I wasn't able to play a good few songs. It would be much appreciated it you could watch it and give some (constructive) feedback. Many thanks.

It wasn't THAT bad. Just keep practicing every day. You don't just wake up the next morning with godly guitar skills. If you really feel you are stuck and can't go anywhere, I advise you get a guitar teacher. I also advise you don't jump into the hard stuff right away, because you are not gonna be able to play it, and it will depress you, and make you quit. Unless you are really confident, and really want to learn, then there's no problem with jumping to the hard stuff.

Final words: Don't be a pussy and don't quit. Practice everyday.
It was hard to hear, but I agree. Don't run before you can walk. And I don't think it sucked.
Quote by slayerfrk
if you have been playing 2 years and cant play smells like teen spirit i think there is something wrong with you

I've been playing 3 years and cant play it. Doesn't mean I'm crap just that its not my taste in music so I have no desire to play it. Why does nearly everyone on here think you need to play 'metal' and if you don't your a crap guitarist. Whilst I have nothing against metal there are other genres out there.

to TS just keep going. I find if I hit a wall with learning something, I take a few days off from guitar and do something completely different. I then come back and try again. Usually I find whatever it was I was struggling with seems a lot easier.
Current Gear
Schecter Ultracure Robert Smith signature
Rickenbacker 330/6
CIJ Fender Jaguar
Vox AC30CC2X
Page 1 of 2