What do you guys do when you write something, or get a good idea for something that's just not your style?

For example, I wrote this cool slow, dark guitar progression that could make a good song I think. But it's just not the type of music that I like to write. I thought about using it for an intro to a song that is my style, but I feel like that wouldn't be doing the piece justice, if that makes sense. Like it could be so much more if it was written completely in that dark way.

I also thought about selling it, but I don't even know if people do that... or if I would want to... or if anybody in town would ever buy it, haha.

If you want to hear what it is I wrote, I'll attach it, and if you want to listen to what I usually write, look in my profile.

Also, does any of it sound familiar? Maybe I just ripped some other musician without thinking.

Thanks for your insight on this matter...
Attachments:
weird 2.gp5
song idea 37 weird.gp5
dude i write stuff i normaly wouldnt write too just play it but dont bring it to your band if its too far from their style
I try and write as much variety as I can, its good for you to branch out once in a while. I write acoustic songs to play, when I do my solo sets, and I write pop punk/melodic hardcore for my band, but for example, today I wrote a noise-punk style song, with just a drum machine set to straight 16th beats and a fretless bass, in the style of Death From Above 1979.

I've also attempted to write celtic style folk songs on my mandolin, and some blues, its really fun just to explore other genres. You can also expand on the genres you know well, with aspects of others, for example, Iron and Wine writes primarily slow acoustic songs, but his repotoire is full of bluesy sounding songs, and it works great with his style.
Quote by Stud_Muffin
I try and write as much variety as I can, its good for you to branch out once in a while. I write acoustic songs to play, when I do my solo sets, and I write pop punk/melodic hardcore for my band, but for example, today I wrote a noise-punk style song, with just a drum machine set to straight 16th beats and a fretless bass, in the style of Death From Above 1979.

I've also attempted to write celtic style folk songs on my mandolin, and some blues, its really fun just to explore other genres. You can also expand on the genres you know well, with aspects of others, for example, Iron and Wine writes primarily slow acoustic songs, but his repotoire is full of bluesy sounding songs, and it works great with his style.

I thought of that, too. I just don't really want to write in this style, but maybe if I force myself to, I can explore it more, and maybe even find that I do enjoy it. Who knows, I might even write a really great song.
Umm, why (or indeed how) did you write music that's not your "style"? Usually you write music that you like. One could argue that as you wrote the music, is is indeed your "style".
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by peacemaker898
It's not too hard, I just started with something small that expands in a certain direction, I didn't consciously follow that direction, the piece just took me there. It isn't a direction that I am familiar with or have had past experience with, therefore, it is not my style of music.

I'm not sure. Even when writing songs in a genre I don't usually write in, it still sounds like me, and utilises features of other songs I write.

But if you don't like what you've written, don't use it.
Soundcloud
And then it could become your style one day

Or your style could expand to include it. One of those things.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Or your style could expand to include it. One of those things.

This is usually what I do. The closest I've gotten to a "style" are my last 2-3 songs. And that's cause I consciously tried to make something in a certain style... yet it still has elements from everything I know how to write in.

I'd take it, and turn it into a song. Let the song write itself, not the other way around. Rarely does that pan out.
It really depends what you're writing for. If your writing songs to perform then, while you can have diverse influences, it's best to try and stick to a certain style. That style can be pretty wide but people might be put off if you start off with a indie song, then do classic rock, then do metal, ending the entire set with a ice reggae tune.

That is, however, a very extreme example. Most of the time, if you have the same people playing the same instruments you'll have a "sound" regardless of what you play. Because of this, there is quite a lot of room to expand on your style, although probably not the genre crossing mentioned above.

IMO, you should just write the song without worrying about style. It may be that you won't be able to use the song right now because it is so different but you can keep it locked away ready for use whenever the right time appears. You could also try and work it into a set somehow, perhaps modifying the songs and finding some songs that could go either side of it in the set list to help with the transition.
Hey man, I think this is really cool progression, I like it, but try starting it off on the D minor chord (bar 3), instead it'll flow much better. I'd like to hear some synth strings behind this, as well.

Edit: B minor with the capo
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Here's along the lines of where I would go with the song. I think it has a lot of potential, the only thing criticism I can give is that the drums are bass were far too simplistic. Just working on the downbeat isn't gone contribute much to the piece, nor keep the listener interested. but that's not a huge deal considering you're probably not a percussionist nor bassist. Hopefully, this will give you some insight, just let the song take you while guiding it as you go along.
Attachments:
song idea-wiegenlied.gp5
Quote by Night
I dont really write much of acoustic .. I write stuff Like This (File Attached) ... M still working on this piece . you guys can tell me what you think about this compo...

**Attachment Removed**

AlanHB edit: Sorry, I should have posted this in the Original Recordings forum.
Quote by 12345abcd3
It really depends what you're writing for. If your writing songs to perform then, while you can have diverse influences, it's best to try and stick to a certain style. That style can be pretty wide but people might be put off if you start off with a indie song, then do classic rock, then do metal, ending the entire set with a ice reggae tune.

That is, however, a very extreme example. Most of the time, if you have the same people playing the same instruments you'll have a "sound" regardless of what you play. Because of this, there is quite a lot of room to expand on your style, although probably not the genre crossing mentioned above.

IMO, you should just write the song without worrying about style. It may be that you won't be able to use the song right now because it is so different but you can keep it locked away ready for use whenever the right time appears. You could also try and work it into a set somehow, perhaps modifying the songs and finding some songs that could go either side of it in the set list to help with the transition.

I see what you mean, and that makes sense too.

Quote by Wiegenlied
Here's along the lines of where I would go with the song. I think it has a lot of potential, the only thing criticism I can give is that the drums are bass were far too simplistic. Just working on the downbeat isn't gone contribute much to the piece, nor keep the listener interested. but that's not a huge deal considering you're probably not a percussionist nor bassist. Hopefully, this will give you some insight, just let the song take you while guiding it as you go along.

Heh, well, I didn't really post the thread for crit, and didn't put bass or drums in with that in mind, just for filler. I'm not a drummer or a bassist, but I do like to think I have some pretty good bass lines and drums in my songs. Take a look in my profile.

But, wow, haha, you're pretty good at programming drums. You took a WAY different path than I would, though. That would be even further than what I already thought was a deviation from my writing style, lol, but it sounds cool for a metal thing. I would have gone for a dark acoustic piece, and was actually thinking about putting synth behind it.
Yeah I did take a look at your songs, not bad, not bad at all. The point I was trying to make really was that you can turn anything into your style, as I did with your piece. In my band a lot of songs are made up by my bandmates showing me a single idea, me using it is an intro or riff and creating a whole song from there. There are so many possibilities for a piece even when presented with just one riff/vamp/progressions. You have the groundwork set, you have the key, possible modulations, implied melodies, potential melodies, implied rhythms, potential rhythms, etc. etc. All you have to really is add elements that are present in your style and/or the music you want to replicate. You have to let what you've already written inspire you to write more.

Which is basically what I started doing with yours except I didn't have right any new parts because I wanted to show the potential of that progression. If you want to take the direction or a similar direction as your previously written music maybe have the acoustic guitar intro followed by a synth part alone which repeats once or twice and then sustains the last chord and then modulate into the relative F major? To me this intro seems to be building up a lot of tension to transition in something big. You could still modulate to major, or even stay in minor and add double-time feel to give it a kick. It's still my personal opinion that we should not impose limitations on ourselves as composers. Consider it a good thing that you're writing something that's typically broader then your average song, it means you have talent.
Quote by Night
Last edited by Wiegenlied at Jul 31, 2010,
I loved that thing in the .gp5 file, I'd really suggest you expand on it.

I think the fact that you're writing it all would be enough to give it all a common style. I mean Devin Townsend and The Beatles both experimented with 100 genres and moods, but you'd never get the two mixed up. They both have unique styles, even if they experiment with different styles it's still the same people coming up with all the melodies.

And it seems a lot more fun to be a bit varied, both for the songwriter and the audience. What you've written could become something that sticks out from the rest of your stuff. In an interesting way rather than an incongruous way.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Aug 1, 2010,
I love making trance/techno stuff, and metal is my favorite genre. It's good to try to write and play as many different genres as possible, it makes you a more well rounded musician.
be in more than 1 band to excircise all of your creativity, or just record yourself playing every style you'd ever want to try out. i used to be in 3 bands at once that played different styles, then when i wanted to get serious about music, get into a band that meets every week and can start plays shows, i quit them and started forming the 1 im in now. now i only focus on that 1 (hich plays a blend of styles) but i occassionally colaberate with other people, cuz im planing to get some recording equipment soon and ill just mess around wit all the musicians i know.
the point is you can always do other stuff if you dont put it under the same name. if something totally doesnt fit somewhere, itll fit somewhere else.
I write whatever I want. But my band has clear borders. not too popular not too happy melodic...always a touch majesty and technical. The Technical is my burden. I try every fusion and combine traditionel stuff with metal. That leads me often to a point where The band gets strange. You have to balance that if your audience shall not be one room of grannies beside emo and metalheads and hiphop or salsa fans. These people generally dont get together, so if you arent a freak and know your (lets call it)'social scene' then you know what frame your music should have.
But never stop trying out, coz strange thing can inspire us. I will always try to mix my favorite elements of hiphop, jazz ,tango, pop, classic etc . with metal. But always focusing on the main ascepts of my home-style (metal). You can't define what it has to be, but see how it will be.