Page 1 of 2
hi all,

im 17 close to passing my driving test,

im looking at getting a landrover 110 or a 90

my friends all have small cars, e.g. Corsa's,mini's etc. i think ill feel much safer in a larger vehicle rather than one of these poxy tin cans on wheels, im not going to be a stupid driver, speeding all over the place, i feel a Landy would also be good for taking gear to gigs as well.

could never see all my gear fitting in the boot of a Corsa.

ive heard Landrovers are cheaper to insure than these small cars, due to not being able to get to high speeds, that the corsa's and what nots can.

any one share to shed any light on the matter?

edit: my drivings better than my punctuation.
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Last edited by kakos at Jul 30, 2010,
you'd be paying through the teeth in gas i'd assume
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Mommy and daddy can afford to buy you a brand new car, but not insurance?.

You don't even have your license, and NO new driver needs any car coasting more than a few grand
No.

Kids have Corsas, Puntos etc for a REASON. Being they're much cheaper to insure.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by bass-man9712
you'd be paying through the teeth in gas i'd assume

Yeah, if you can pay gas for a landrover. You can defiantly afford the insurance.
Probably not, I couldn't get insurance on a mustang, simply due to my age. They wouldn't insure me until I was at least 21.
I know someone who had a Land Rover for his first car, it was insured, not sure how much for.

Insurance is ridiculously expensive.
Quote by kakos

could never see all my gear fitting in the boot of a Corsa.

So your first choice was THIS:

get ****ing real dude. Buying that to "haul gear" is like buying a lamborghini for the headlights.

You want something nice that will haul gear:

even that will cost you an arm and a leg to insure because of the engine size.

You want something that is even attainable for a young driver in the UK that can haul some gear, look nice, and drive well, then this is the only option:

Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jul 30, 2010,
ive been reading up on it since i did the post, some guys are saying they got £1500 for their insurance this is nothing compared to like the £3000 that you get insured on in smaller cars (saxo's)
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Quote by kakos
ive been reading up on it since i did the post, some guys are saying they got £1500 for their insurance this is nothing compared to like the £3000 that you get insured on in smaller cars (saxo's)

do you realize that a land rover has a huge V8? you are looking at £5000 - 6000. Think I'm kidding? You are a 17 year old driver with nothing to put down on his license history, in a continent that charges triple the insurance for anything over 2.0 liters. Unless you are absolutely loaded, a land rover is simply not an option.

Quote by TEK34
Shinysides, Land Rovers have got a pretty large, flat boot. Should be able to get a fair amount in them.

that wasn't the point. I know it can haul stuff, but that is hardly what a land rover is for. Buying a land rover for gear hauling is totally ridiculous.

I hate to be the downer of the thread, if you see me in the car thread you'll know I always try to convince people to get the best they can buy for their money, but this is simply on another planet. Unless your family is absolutely loaded, you will not be able to afford the insurance, or the gas on that beast.

Hell, even if you ARE rich, getting around in something that huge is just retarded. They're massive, very very hard riding on the road (they're built for offroad. the 4x4 doesn't translate so well onto paved roads), slow, noisy, gas guzzling, environment destroying behemoths. (I am not an environmentalist, you will pay out the ass because of how much gas they guzzle)

Something far better suited to your needs/wants (if you do have a bit of money) would be an Audi A4 Avant.

it has a 2.0 so you wont be penalized, has a massive boot, has Quattro, looks damn good, and isn't a massive lumbering monster. It is also very, very fast. Insurance will be high, but it will actually be in some way attainable for a young driver.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jul 30, 2010,
Actuallu insuring anything over a 1.4 hatchback is VERY expensive.

Hell I got quotes of £5000-£6000 for a 1.2 Clio.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
do you realize that a land rover has a huge V8? you are looking at £5000 - 6000. Think I'm kidding? You are a 17 year old driver with nothing to put down on his license history, in a continent that charges triple the insurance for anything over 2.0 liters. Unless you are absolutely loaded, a land rover is simply not an option.

No way, it will be more like £10,000 if he can get any quotes at all.

I doubt most companies will even agree to insure you. If you think your friends have small-engined cars for fun then you really are dumb. Nobody drives a corsa through choice
TS you're deluded.

My mates in the UK are paying £4000 a year for a 1.2.

NZ is awesome. I drive a 1.6 Toyota Levin with a 20valve Blacktop engine. I pay $600 a year for insurance. Thats about £275

Mwahahaha
RIP Tom Searle.
Last edited by MH400 at Jul 31, 2010,
You honestly think you telling the insurance company that you're a good driver is going to make a difference? Read up on this stuff first.
hello
Quote by MH400

NZ is awesome. I drive a 1.6 Toyota Levin with a 20valve Blacktop engine. I pay $600 a year for insurance. Thats about £275

Mwahahaha

Pfft, I live in Canada, I drive a 3.0 BMW 3 series, I pay about $700 a year, soon perhaps it will be a 4.0 litre 5 series for roughly the same price Canada ftw

EDIT: On topic, what's wrong a Saxo or something? I heard those are supposed to be hugely popular what with the cruising scene and what not.
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jul 31, 2010,
Quote by opc100
You honestly think you telling the insurance company that you're a good driver is going to make a difference? Read up on this stuff first.

QFT! When you get insurance you will JUST have gotten your license, you will have to pay the highest they allow. Also, aren't land rovers like $50,000 cars? Was I right about being a spoiled teenager? Like my first post said, a teen spending over 5k for their first car is just stupid. You don't even have your license, don't even try and say you are a good driver.
Heavy car + huge engine * gasoline burning like bills on wallstreet = A gap in your annual budget the size of the BP oil stain...
Quote by Snowblind 911

maybe it's because of your description, or the fact that it's 1:30am here, or both, i can't stop giggling.

Sometimes girls say that too...
I don't know how you can be learning to drive yet not have read up on this. I'm not planning learning to drive in the foreseeable future yet I know more than you about it. Crazy, no, scary.
hello
Last edited by opc100 at Jul 31, 2010,
Who gets a Landrover as a first car? Saying that, who gets an Audi for a first car?
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
Quote by Sir Daniel
Who gets a Landrover as a first car? Saying that, who gets an Audi for a first car?

I had a BMW for mine Audi is far more reasonable than a Land Rover.
Quote by kakos
im 17 close to passing my driving test
You'll pay a very high price for insurance on any vehicle at that age. But if the vehicle is expensive and powerful you can just grease your ass and bend over.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

I think it must be different in the States/Canada. In the UK, your first car is almost definitely gonna be an old mini, a beat up Peugeot 106 or a horse and cart. Although, like you've already said, insurance is extortionate. I'm 19 with nearly 3 years no claims under my belt and I'm still being charged £1200 a year for a 1.1l Suzuki Swift.
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
I just did a rough comparison website search. The cheapest is £7000 a year.
hello
You'll be lucky if they insure you at all, but if they do you should expect to pay around £10k or more. But odds are they won't. Just get a small car like a Vauxhall Corsa, Seat Ibiza, Alfa Mito, some small Renault or Peugot or a Punto and that'll do you nicely.
Quote by Matt_Malmsteen
You'll be lucky if they insure you at all, but if they do you should expect to pay around £10k or more. But odds are they won't. Just get a small car like a Vauxhall Corsa, Seat Ibiza, Alfa Mito, some small Renault or Peugot or a Punto and that'll do you nicely.

Not a Renault or Peugeot, they break easily.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Rich bastard

I have to get a 1988 Chevy blazer, with half the damn paint chipped off, and more rust than the titanic

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
No way, it will be more like £10,000 if he can get any quotes at all.

I doubt most companies will even agree to insure you. If you think your friends have small-engined cars for fun then you really are dumb. Nobody drives a corsa through choice

Probably a bet less than 10grand. 10 grand is the insurance quote for a 17 year old on a Cosworth.

Audi a4 is probably off the marker aswell unless he really is proper rich.

What gear are you hauling round TS?

Quote by TEK34
Not a Renault or Peugeot, they break easily.

Everyone i know who has owned a punto has had trouble with the electronics.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Last edited by cliff_em_all at Jul 31, 2010,
I considered a Landrover Defender myself for when I passed my test and the cheapest quote I got was around £800 and I've heard from several people that they are generally affordable for young drivers to insure. I'm happy with my wee Peugeot though.
Quote by valennic
Rich bastard

It was my dad's 1994 3 series. Rather than sell it, he just gave it to me. It wasn't worth a damn thing lol, but my god did I love it. I had it for about 6 months before getting a mustang.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
It was my dad's 1994 3 series. Rather than sell it, he just gave it to me. It wasn't worth a damn thing lol, but my god did I love it. I had it for about 6 months before getting a mustang.

If I read right you have a 1970? How the hell did you even find one?

I hate ford, but damn, the 1970 Mustangs were the shit.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Dont think itd be worth it man, even if you do somehow get the insurance cheap, youll be paying it all back in fuel costs. And you could easily fit loads of gear in the back of a corsa or something, you just need to practise a bit of tetris!

If your looking for something to cart cabs etc about try go for an old astra van, plenty of room in them for a full backline!
I'm going to laugh at you for even considering this.

It cost me nearly 3K to insure a 14 year old 1.2 3 door clio that was worth 300 quid. To insure a Land Rover.... I don't even think some insurers would even insure you, you'd be so much of a liability.

I know somebody who skidded on oil in a Land Rover. Put the guy who he hit (who was in a car) in intensive care. THAT is not something insurers want to risk.

Trust me, I passed my test a few months back when I was 17 - insurers won't even look twice at you for anything more than a Corsa until you're 25. Seriously. The only thing that's even remotely affordable at 17 is a shitty old car with a small engine, or a bike, and you need another licence for a bike as well.

I don't mean to sound patronising but a Land Rover at 17 is a bit ambitious.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Last edited by druggietoad2k5 at Jul 31, 2010,
Quote by valennic
If I read right you have a 1970? How the hell did you even find one?

I hate ford, but damn, the 1970 Mustangs were the shit.

* had.

Come read through the car thread lol, I bought it for $9000, restored it myself, then sold it. I now own a 330ci. I found it at this mustang parts shop in Georgetown, it was pretty beat up when I first bought it.

before I got the 70 I owned 2 different mustangs. My current timeline has been

1994 3 series (dont remember the model)
1995 5.0 mustang
2001 mustang gt
1970 mach 1 (im a mustang slut)
2004 330ci

EDIT: after reading through this thread, I'm surprised how much the UK insurers hate drivers. That's a bit mad to charge more per year on insurance than the car itself if worth. Just how long do you guys usually need to have a clean record before the insurance companies start to lower your rate? Here in North America, you can start off pretty high depending on what you drive ($1500 per year for a Golf or something), but by about age 21 with a clean record, you can be down to about $400, regardless of what you drive. For example, I am 19, I currently pay about $700 and have a clean record, even when I had the mach 1 mustang. I would die if I lived in the UK
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jul 31, 2010,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
* had.

Come read through the car thread lol, I bought it for $9000, restored it myself, then sold it. I now own a 330ci. I found it at this mustang parts shop in Georgetown, it was pretty beat up when I first bought it.

before I got the 70 I owned 2 different mustangs. My current timeline has been

1994 3 series (dont remember the model)
1995 5.0 mustang
2001 mustang gt
1970 mach 1 (im a mustang slut)
2004 330ci

God damn O_O how old are you? Thats an impressive line of cars, I'm more of an older car kinda guy though, anything after 1980 rarely catches my interest

I may begin to frequent the car thread, seeing as how I've recently got VERY into them. I will see you there

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
God damn O_O how old are you?

I'm 19. I sell very quickly though lol. I got that first 3 series when I was 16 for free, and then it just went from there. I've been through the 2001 GT, the mach 1, and now the 330ci all since about March of last year lol. The only one to last a long time was the 1995 5.0. I loved that car so much
Page 1 of 2