Thinking of picking up a second hand ESP LTD AX400 from a local pawnshop. Retail for the guitar was about $1400 AUD, price in store at $580 with minor body damage.

Plays well, everything is all good aside from the electronics. It has the stock EMG-81s still in but the tone/volume pots don't do a damn thing and neither does the pickup selector switch. Need a bit of a hand to work out what the issue is to see if it's a cheap fix or something a bit more pricey.

My other guitars are all passive pickups and haven't had any experience with active pickups at all so I don't really know where to start. Figuring a battery change would be the first stop and then investigate further from there.

Is this a simple fix or is it going to need a bit more work done to get it running?
fixing it up and everything will still be under $1400 in the end. Its really your call
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Man, thank God the russians created UG. Otherwise, how would I have gotten this information?
Quote by salgala2000
Do them in order until it's fixed

1) Batter change
2) Rewire
3) Change pots
4) Change pickups

EDIT: BTW this should be in guitar building and customization. no troll

This sounds like my best course of action. Cheers!

Quote by 100%
fixing it up and everything will still be under $1400 in the end. Its really your call

I reckon I'll pick it up anyways. It's a bargain at that price and even if the pickups are completely dead I've still got a sleek looking metal guitar for cheap. =D

(If a mod wants to move the thread please do so. Sorry about the wrong spot, my bad, I didn't read the forum descriptions well enough)
im pretty sure it stays a win-win situation even if you replace every piece of electronic in that guitar.
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by rtfk101
im pretty sure it stays a win-win situation even if you replace every piece of electronic in that guitar.

It sure does, but I'll bet the wife won't be terribly happy about it! =D
My gear:
"The Black Beast" Customised 80s Strat Clone
"Gibsun" Chinese Les Paul Knockoff
ZOOM 707II
1970s Eminar P606 50W + 2x18

KORVINN - My band
Just thought I'd swing by this thread now that I've gotten the new guitar.

Swapped out the battery and everything is working fine. My amp is another story...
My gear:
"The Black Beast" Customised 80s Strat Clone
"Gibsun" Chinese Les Paul Knockoff
ZOOM 707II
1970s Eminar P606 50W + 2x18

KORVINN - My band