I heard of the 7th note family or major 7th family, and i just dont get it. What makes a maj 7th? and it appears to me u can play minor scales over them so is thier minor 7th chords? Like the harmonic minor scale.
A seventh chord is essentially a triad (major, minor, diminished, or augmented) with a 7th added on top.

So, a maj7 chord would be a major triad (1 3 5, which on C would be C E G) plus a major seventh (thus creating 1 3 5 7, which on C would be C E G B).

You're not really going to want to play minor scales over a major seventh chord of the same root, since the notes will clash, but you can do this over a minor seventh chord (which is 1 b3 5 b7).
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
short answer:

A typical 7th chord is made up of the 1 3 5 7 degrees of a given scale

a minor seventh is just like a normal minor chord with the addition of the flatted 7th. Its formula is 1 b3 5 b7

a dominant 7th has the major 3rd but flatted 7th.

without going into too much diatonic theory,
a "minor" scale will work over any major chord that contains those notes, and vice versa

and given key has can use both major and minor chords.

this is all oversimplified, but can get you going in the right direction.

long answer:
Study your theory.
So a 7th chord for minor lets say the chord is D is would be D Eb A C?
^

No, a Dm7 would be D, F, A, C
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by mcr tabs
Thats what i meant typo on me thats hella hard to finger
In barre chord form its relatively simple actually. You will notice that when playing your basic triad in barre you will have the root note pressed down twice. So lets look at D Major chord in barre form on the A string.

e-x
B-7
G-7
D-7
A-5
E-x

Since the 5th fret on the A string is the exact same note as the 7th fret on the G string, you can simply move that note on the G string around to get your Dmaj7.

e-x
B-7
G-5
D-7
A-5
E-x

If you already knew this sorry, just trying my best to help you understand 7th chords
I iz moderatin teh forums on this site.
Quote by 7grant2
e-x
B-7
G-7
D-7
A-5
E-x

Since the 5th fret on the A string is the exact same note as the 7th fret on the G string, you can simply move that note on the G string around to get your Dmaj7.

e-x
B-7
G-6
D-7
A-5
E-x

Fix'd

You had a D7 chord
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Fix'd

You had a D7 chord

I knew that, I was just seeing if anyone caught my mistake :3
I iz moderatin teh forums on this site.
Let's start at the beginning

First there are your basic triads. These are made by stacking thirds of different kinds.
A brief rundown:
Maj 3rd + Maj 3rd = Augmented Triad (1 3 #5)
Maj 3rd + min 3rd = Major Triad (1 3 5)
min 3rd + Maj 3rd = minor Triad (1 b3 5)
min 3rd + min 3rd = diminished Triad (1 b3 b5)

From here you can then stack another major or minor third on top of the fifth of each of these basic triads to get a different type of seventh chord.

Note that we use whatever kind of fifth we have in our basic triad and add the major or minor third from there. So if we have a perfect fifth we might add a major 3rd the result will be a major 7 interval from the root. If it is a b5 in our triad and we add a major third to this we will end up with a minor 7th from the root.

So to get our various seventh chords we go through each of the four basic triads and stack a third on top.

Here are the various seventh chords built using different triads as a base:

Sevenths built from Augmented Triads

Aug Triad + Maj 3rd = Augmented Triad (a Major 3rd on top of a #5 will give a #7. Since the #7 is enharmonic with the octave of the root the result is a doubling of the root note and it's still just an augmented triad. (1 3 #5 #7 is enharmonic with 1 3 #5 8).

Aug Triad + min 3rd = Augmented Major Seventh, or Maj7#5 (1 3 #5 7)

Sevenths built from Major Triads

Major Triad + Major 3rd = Major 7th chord (1 3 5 7) - written as Cmaj7

Major Triad + min 3rd = Dominant 7 (1 3 5 b7) - written simply as C7

Sevenths built from Minor Triad

Minor Triad + Major 3rd = minor Major 7 (1 b3 5 7) - written as Cm/Maj7

Minor Triad + min 3rd = minor 7 (1 b3 5 b7) - written as Cm7

Sevenths built from Diminished Triad

Diminished Triad + Maj 3rd = half diminished 7th or minor 7 flat five (1 b3 b5 b7) - written as either CØ7 or more commonly Cm7b5

Diminished Triad + min 3rd = diminished 7th (1 b3 b5 bb7) - Cdim7 or Cᴼ7

These are the basic triads and seventh chords built from "Tertian Harmony" which means to use maj and min thirds for construction.

Other Seventh Chords
There are also some seventh chords that are altered versions of these chords. That is, one or more notes have been altered and the result is that the intervals between each note are not ALL major or minor thirds, but they are still considered seventh chords.

Dominant seventh sharp five = 1 3 #5 b7 = C7#5 - An augmented triad with a minor seventh

a diminished/major seventh = 1 b3 b5 7 = Cdim/Maj7 or Cm/Maj7b5 diminished triad with a major seventh.

Notice how the distance between the fifths and respective sevenths are the altered interval while the base triad is still one of our four basic triads.

There are also other altered chords where the base triad is altered maj/min resulting int the altered interval being that between the third and fifth e.g.

Dominant seventh flat five = 1 3 b5 b7

Major seventh flat five = 1 3 b5 7

Soooo....

That gives a total of eleven different seventh chords.

Here they are again
Seven "Tertian" Seventh Chords
1. Major seventh = 1 3 5 7
2. Dominant seventh = 1 3 5 b7
3. Minor seventh = 1 b3 5 b7
4. minor/major seventh = 1 b3 5 7
5. Half diminished seventh = 1 b3 b5 b7 (aka m7b5)
6. Fully diminished seventh = 1 b3 b5 bb7
7. Augmented Maj7 = 1 3 #5 7 (aka maj7#5)

plus Four "Altered" Seventh Chords
8. Dominant seventh sharp 5 = 1 3 #5 b7 (aka aug/min7)
9. Diminished major seventh = 1 b3 b5 7 (aka min/Maj7b5)
10. Dominant seventh flat 5 = 1 3 b5 b7
11. Major seventh flat 5 = 1 3 b5 7

I'm pretty sure that's all of them.
Hope it helps.

Now the appropriate scale would be one which uses the same notes as the seventh chord. Which shouldn't be too hard there is only a 2nd 4th and 6th missing so you have a pretty good idea on what scale would fit each chord. A dominant 7th chord for example is 1 3 5 ♭7. A good scale to use here would be the Mixolydian mode which is 1 2 3 4 5 6 ♭7 - note how it uses all the same notes as the seventh chord.

Best of Luck
Si