Quote by Bmm386
dance-punk revival or dance-punk original?

if you want the revival, check out The Rapture
if you want the first wave, hit up Gang Of Four.

i suggest the latter over the former.

Well, bands like the one in the OP. Since the ones in the OP are pretty much from the year 2000 and later I assume revival.
Already heard of Gang Of Four. I'll check out The Rapture.
Quote by Joshua1207
Well since the people in the punk forum don't know punk and they kept telling me to come here...

We obviously know punk. It's the reason we were so confused you brought up the Yeah Yeah Yeahs in the forum.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Last edited by nashawa at Jul 31, 2010,
Quote by nashawa

We obviously know punk. It's the reason we were so confused you brought up the Yeah Yeah Yeahs in the forum.

They're apart of the dance-punk genre. Did you even listen to the other bands? I posted a link for each band
Yeah, none of them even resemble punk.
Quote by emoboy027
Is fingering an emo chick that likes yoy and that has fallen in love with you is it wrong to you to finger her during lunch outside in front of everyone at the high school? would you not care or lol even wish it was you?

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Joshua, you can't seem to get it through your head, even though Dance Punk has the word punk in it, 98% is closer to indie then punk. Since it's mostly inspired by post punk, which is pretty much an indie genre. Anyways, Late of the Pier.
LCD Soundsystem is quite good, though tbh I think the first wave of dance-punk was way better. Check out some Public Image Ltd.
Quote by due 07
Since it's mostly inspired by post punk, which is pretty much an indie genre.

lol what?

You hipsters can have Joy Division, but we're keeping all the good ones.

How can post-punk be an indie genre? The term "indie" didn't even exist until more than a decade after post-punk ended.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
You're all kinds of retarded.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Quote by Joshua1207
First of all
Indie >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> punk
Second, dance-punk IS PUNK. Just stop arguing. Just because dance-punk isn't the type of punk you guys like, doesn't make it not punk.

God, that was the dumbest thing I've heard all day.
Quote by nashawa
lol what?

You hipsters can have Joy Division, but we're keeping all the good ones.

How can post-punk be an indie genre? The term "indie" didn't even exist until more than a decade after post-punk ended.

Yes, but you take people like Joy Division, My Bloody Valentine, Devo, etc. They are awesome, and often very punk sounding, but if they didn't exist and a band made that kind of music nowadays, everyone would without a doubt call them indie.
Christ, you're the kind of people that would call U2 indie. There's a famous article in Rolling Stone about how silly the term is and how this exact scenario is one of the worst things to happen to music.

It was written years ago as a predicitve piece. Looks like it came true.

EDIT: And your theory makes sense given that the history of music never played out the way it did, but it did, so your point is ridiculous. None of those bands are "indie", they all belong to other legitimate genres. If I ever met someone in real life who referred to new wave bands as indie, I'd probably slap them.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
Last edited by nashawa at Aug 7, 2010,
Quote by nashawa
Christ, you're the kind of people that would call U2 indie. There's a famous article in Rolling Stone about how silly the term is and how this exact scenario is one of the worst things to happen to music.

It was written years ago as a predicitve piece. Looks like it came true.

EDIT: And your theory makes sense given that the history of music never played out the way it did, but it did, so your point is ridiculous. None of those bands are "indie", they all belong to other legitimate genres. If I ever met someone in real life who referred to new wave bands as indie, I'd probably slap them.

I think honestly I may have a different definition of indie than you. To me it's sort of pop music with a different approach or sound, one that is fairly unique enough to not really be completely mainstream friendly, even if the mainstream seems to latch on to it (which is what happened with bands like the Strokes and Arctic Monkeys). I may be uneducated here though, so I do apologize if I'm just completely misinformed, or maybe I jumped to conclusions. No need to get violent .

EDIT: And I think the fact that New Wave heavily influenced a lot of indie might have to do with my opinion.

However, didn't hardcore music exist before the genre got it's name? Some genre like that... also, Shoegaze wasn't a name until the media gave it one. So a band could be indie before indie existed.

Quote by Joshua1207
Why did you guys bump this thread? Let it die already

You made a thread about dance-punk, and people are discussing it in a civilized manner.
Last edited by due 07 at Aug 8, 2010,
1) There's always a need to get violent. Tr00 p0nx and all that jazz, y'know.

2) The Arctic Monkeys and The Strokes probably aren't the best example for you to use, seeing as they're very basic radio rock for the most part. Nothing inherently good/bad about that, but that's just how it is.

3) Yes, bands always exist before the genre does, in the same way Christianity didn't exist prior to Jesus. The genre is based on the style certain bands are playing, but you're talking about decades of difference. Hardcore came to fruition very shortly thereafter bands started playing a style that warranted a new genre. Saying bands from the late 70s/early 80s are indie is a gigantic stretch, as not only does the label tend to focus on a different style altogether, but the labels in place for those other bands are already well established.

4) Technically yes, I suppose that a band could be indie before the label existed, but the fact is that this isn't the case for 99% of bands. If they were popular today, most alt rock bands would be considered indie, so does that mean the genre "alternative" should no longer exist? No, that would be abusrd, right? Genres have just as much of a chronological stamp as they do a stylistic one.

Just some ideas.
Quote by emoboy027

Youztoobz
MIDI Magicalness!
lol @ indie bands being pop

Oh and we aren't discussing Dance-punk at all in a cival manner, we aren't discussing Dance-punk at all.

Above comments were directed towards 'due 07'
Last edited by Joshua1207 at Aug 9, 2010,
Quote by goldmember1217
I like a lot of the 2000s stuff. !!!, Death From Above, Foals, etc.

+1 to !!! and Death from Above
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Aug 9, 2010,