hey guys
so my band finally decided to play post hardcore music instead of metalcoreish type music.
we're trying to make music like The Used, it's just that, they make it so good.
So does anyone know/have any tips on how to write [guitar wise] that style?
Thanks in advance.
idk how much you should make an attempt to fit a genre... as much as this sounds like a cheesy pep talk, just play what you feel like ya know? don't aim to sound like something really.

But on topic, there's been a thread on this already, I'll find it and link you. I wrote an essay and a half helping it out.

Edit: Linky
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Last edited by Lt.DanHasLegs at Jul 30, 2010,
^^^^Best advice you've ever been given.
"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind" Albert Einstein.
Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs
idk how much you should make an attempt to fit a genre... as much as this sounds like a cheesy pep talk, just play what you feel like ya know? don't aim to sound like something really.

But on topic, there's been a thread on this already, I'll find it and link you. I wrote an essay and a half helping it out.

Unless that's what he likes the most and wants to sound like most.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
ehh, it still shouldn't be like a conscious goal ya know? If you get together and say, "I wanna be a metal band!" you're just walking a trail someone else has, step away for a second but maybe keep the same direction.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs

i think if someone really likes a genre they should study up on its techniques and everything, but i kinda see what ur saying. im in a band where i play a combination of several genres (which I guess you could call expansive rock, i'm starting to hear that term used around the internet for like creative modern progressive bands), and i consciously try to sound like a combination of my favorite bands, then me and 1 of the bandmembers write songs that we dont play in that band, just to express ourselves and stuff, which usually turns out sounding like country-rock or something, without any conscious decision of genre. i hope that somewhere in my rant i made a point...
He's not trying to fit a genre, he just wants to know what makes The Used tick. First off, The Used's first album is Post-Hardcore and Emo, if we're talking about genres. It's also ****ing amazing. Secondly, I'd love to do the work for you, but then you wouldn't really learn. You need to learn theory (musictheory.net) and start analyzing their music. You may have to transcribe some songs. You'll definitely have to transcribe the vocals. It sounds like a lot of work, but you'll probably only have to do half of it before you start writing The Used style songs.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs
ehh, it still shouldn't be like a conscious goal ya know? If you get together and say, "I wanna be a metal band!" you're just walking a trail someone else has, step away for a second but maybe keep the same direction.

You're telling him to play what he feels like, and then telling him to not play in a "genre" or "label" that he wants to play. If post-hardcore is what he feels and what expresses him the best, it's what he should play.

If stepping away from tags is what works for you, great. But I disagree that it's the best way to do things.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.