Quick, to make this clear, I don't play emo or scene music, I'm trying to mix more of an At the Drive-in type post-hardcore with some more diverse influences. Just pointing that out before people start debates about post-hardcore and its definition and blahblahblah.
Anyway, I'm having a lot of trouble writing chord progressions that fit this style. When I approach it with modes and try to use minor or darker modes, it ends up sounding like heavy metal, and when I use bar chords it just sounds depressing (because they're usually minor chords) like classical Eurpean or a ballad or something.
Am I going about this the wrong way? Can anybody help me out?
Try using power chords built a little different like (Low to high) 335xxx instead of the regular 333xxx. Personally it seems to give more of a post-hardcore kinda sound for some reason.
Quote by Demonhunter04
You are my hero nodurquack.
Quote by nodurquack
Try using power chords built a little different like (Low to high) 335xxx instead of the regular 333xxx. Personally it seems to give more of a post-hardcore kinda sound for some reason.

is that in a drop tuning? i use E standard so thats a little weird looking o.0
but i dont even have my guitar with me right now so i'll have to try it out later
If you're playing post-hardcore, I'll assume you're playing in Drop-C, correct me if I'm wrong. But, I'd suggest playing something that you would normally never play. It just might give you some surprising results.
Oh yes! Sorry! It is dropped. I forgot to mention that.
Quote by Demonhunter04
You are my hero nodurquack.
Quote by GrimmShadowbane
If you're playing post-hardcore, I'll assume you're playing in Drop-C, correct me if I'm wrong. But, I'd suggest playing something that you would normally never play. It just might give you some surprising results.

nope, E standard. i guess ill try to surprise myself then?
And no prob nodurquak, is it drop D or C? cuz with D i can figure it out
edit: the 335xxx was a 5add9 right?
Last edited by TMVATDI at Jul 31, 2010,