hey UG

ive moved from playing second guitar in my hair metal band to lead, so i really get to break in my chorus and delay now!

but other than pentatonics, are there any other scales that were used alot in hair metal?
The scales are mostly just major and minor, and the mode is usually Dorian. I suppose if you wanted to switch it up a bit you could use the Phyrgian mode or sometimes I like to use the harmonic minor scale. Basically, Dorian = typical big rock sound, Phrygian = darker and more metal sound, and harmonic minor scale = neoclassical sound (Yngwie Malmsteen). At least, that's how my guitar teacher taught me to remember them.
Neither of those modes really apply here that much, it's nearly always going to be the major and minor scales. It's not even worth mentioning the pentatonics as a separate entity seeing as you're still using their 7 note equivalents, you're just not using all the notes.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
there's the whole-step scale they use in jazz, where every note has whole steps in between them (instead of 2 whole, 1 half, 3 whole, 1 half)
Quote by poopsmith666
thats pretty epic actually.

-Cheap classical guitar
-Cheap western
-Ibanez GRX70 jumpstart package
-Shine bass + Eden Nemesis en8jr 25W
Basically all the scales sound the same unless you only use fragments.
Scale running sounds the same, unles you're contrasting something like mixolydian from locrian... but other than that I find them in runs of notes longer than 15 notes to be indistinguishable to people with a normal ear (compared to a trained ear)
Quote by TheChosen1One
Basically all the scales sound the same unless you only use fragments.
Scale running sounds the same, unles you're contrasting something like mixolydian from locrian... but other than that I find them in runs of notes longer than 15 notes to be indistinguishable to people with a normal ear (compared to a trained ear)

What on earth are you talking about?

If you can't tell the difference between one scale and the next I would suggest it's you who is in dire need of ear training.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Major, minor, pentatonic, and maybe the harmonic minor, and you'll be fine
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by Noslo13
The scales are mostly just major and minor, and the mode is usually Dorian. I suppose if you wanted to switch it up a bit you could use the Phyrgian mode or sometimes I like to use the harmonic minor scale. Basically, Dorian = typical big rock sound, Phrygian = darker and more metal sound, and harmonic minor scale = neoclassical sound (Yngwie Malmsteen). At least, that's how my guitar teacher taught me to remember them.

I usually hear Aeolian used more often in that genre (instead of Dorian.)
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by TMF128
I usually hear Aeolian used more often in that genre (instead of Dorian.)

That's probable. I'm not really a theory enthusiast, I just play guitar semi-decently well and have only the most rudimentary knowledge of how it works.