Hey I was wondering how Reb Beach was sounding the harmonics he does at the very beginning of this video? I've seen this technique several times and I can't figure out how it's done myself. It looks to me like he's simply hammering on with his middle figure and using his thumb and index finger to mute the other strings. I've tried that at home but I haven't been very successful. If I'm right then it's just my bad technique haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSBbCvbzStM
pinch harmonics, it`s done with the right hand.

as you pick touch the the string with the fleshy part of the thumb
Quote by ibanezgod1973
pinch harmonics, it`s done with the right hand.

as you pick touch the the string with the fleshy part of the thumb

Didn't actually watch the video did you?

TS: watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XROFYC7z5so&feature=related it's basically the same idea but Reb is using the whammy bar more than Matthias tends to.

Edit: Watching that Matthias lesson back he doesn't explain the physical technique much but if you look for other lessons with the same guy you'll find it quickly enough, it's just about all anyone asks about when they talk to him.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Aug 2, 2010,
Quote by hairmetal90
Hey I was wondering how Reb Beach was sounding the harmonics he does at the very beginning of this video? I've seen this technique several times and I can't figure out how it's done myself. It looks to me like he's simply hammering on with his middle figure and using his thumb and index finger to mute the other strings. I've tried that at home but I haven't been very successful. If I'm right then it's just my bad technique haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSBbCvbzStM

It looks to me like he does dive bombs by pulling off the not of the fret and lightly tapping the string and dipping the bar. It doesn't look like pinches.
Ok thanks guys. What is a good way to practice it? This is a tough technique to practice slow though (at least if you're moving your hand to different positions like Reb or the kid in the second vid) because if you try and do it slow you won't sound the harmonic.
Quote by hairmetal90
Ok thanks guys. What is a good way to practice it? This is a tough technique to practice slow though (at least if you're moving your hand to different positions like Reb or the kid in the second vid) because if you try and do it slow you won't sound the harmonic.

Well im not sure of many really good vids for it but what i do is mute the lower strings with my fretting hand's thumb, and the higher strings with the index finger, then you pull off the fret with your middle finger and lightly touch the fret like a natural harmonic then whammy the hell out of it it sounds amazing and Children of Bodom does it a lot.
side question that applies to this thread,

In guitar pro, for the harmonics, they have P.H., A.H. and S.H.

I assume P.H. is pinch harmonic, A.H. is artifical, ie fret a note and then tap the string 12 frets up to produce the harmonic.. but I cannot for the life of me figure out what S.H. is. Im trying to learn laid to rest by lamb of god and there are P.H. and S.H.'s in the guitar pro file I am using and really they both sound like the same effect to me (in gp and the song..)

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Quote by glenthemann
side question that applies to this thread,

In guitar pro, for the harmonics, they have P.H., A.H. and S.H.

I assume P.H. is pinch harmonic, A.H. is artifical, ie fret a note and then tap the string 12 frets up to produce the harmonic.. but I cannot for the life of me figure out what S.H. is. Im trying to learn laid to rest by lamb of god and there are P.H. and S.H.'s in the guitar pro file I am using and really they both sound like the same effect to me (in gp and the song..)

Hey i think that guy probably means slight harmonic. Such as on the opening riff on laid to rest when he does a hammer on/pull off note then the S H would be on the first note of that hammer on.
So is that to mean I basically hit a regular old harmonic on the fret as im hammering down, I guess are the moment my finger touches the string but before the hammer is complete so to speak? Sounds tricky..

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Quote by glenthemann
So is that to mean I basically hit a regular old harmonic on the fret as im hammering down, I guess are the moment my finger touches the string but before the hammer is complete so to speak? Sounds tricky..

Sorry it means that you do a pinched one but only on one of the notes like this:
ph
D--4h5p4------
A-----------6----
D----------------

and just do a pinch on the first 4
Last edited by CarvinDC127 at Aug 3, 2010,