So I just picked up an old Carvin x100b 100w head with footswitch and cover for $300.

First thing I noticed, was I can't seem to get a real heavy sound out of the distortion, unless I am on the lead channel, and even then it doesn't seem that great.

Anyway I can get some heavy toanz out of this? I heard that the Ibanez Ts9 sounds great through this thing for the heavy stuff.

I have also discovered that I can only switch to the clean channel when the lead channel is off, which sucks cause I really need good cleans.

I'm wondering if a good OD pedal would be enough on the rhythm channel to get me some good heavy tone, both for solos and non solos. Of if I should just look for a good distortion pedal to run on top of the clean channel.

Another question, I am running a 50 foot speaker cable from my Avatar 2x12 into the amp, and I think it might be hurting my tone.

Also, I was playing, and suddenly, my volume decreased slightly, and my tone got darker, and then suddenly, came back to life, it was weird.

I play Opeth, Arcturus, Iron Maiden, Modest Mouse. All sorts of stuff if it helps..

tl;dr Can't achieve teh br00t4lz; need halp @_@
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Not much experience with Carvin other than my cab, which I'll be selling soon enough for some extra cash.

EDIT: I'm sure with a boost (i.e. OCD, barber dirty bomb, Tube Screamer, Crunch Box) you'll get some sexay heavier tones from that head though.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Last edited by CL/\SH at Jul 31, 2010,
What kind of tone are you going for? The Carvin is capable of metal, but it is comparable with a JCM800 and is not voiced right for modern metalcore or such. That being said I have heard some awesome tones with a TS9 in front
Quote by AxSilentxLine
What kind of tone are you going for? The Carvin is capable of metal, but it is comparable with a JCM800 and is not voiced right for modern metalcore or such. That being said I have heard some awesome tones with a TS9 in front

Basically Opeth. Good cleans, good heavy tone.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
ahh yes my bad just read the bottom of OP. I think you should be able to get pretty close, as in my experience the X100B is very loud and should have plenty of headroom. I would opt for a TS9 and a tube change and you should be laughing
Quote by AxSilentxLine
ahh yes my bad just read the bottom of OP. I think you should be able to get pretty close, as in my experience the X100B is very loud and should have plenty of headroom. I would opt for a TS9 and a tube change and you should be laughing

I don't know much about tubes, but are my groove tubez good enough for teh metalz?

:3
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
The 50ft speaker cable definitely isn't helping. You also sound like you need a tube change.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by mmolteratx
The 50ft speaker cable definitely isn't helping. You also sound like you need a tube change.

Any tubes you would recommend? Also, any decent speaker cables?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by the_wassel
My guitar teacher/friend's dad/drummer's dad had a Carvin.

We blew it out.

It sucked so much he let us use it to plug microphones into.

Carvin make wonderful amps. You were doing it wrong.
Quote by AxSilentxLine

Quote by AxSilentxLine

This. You've got to seriously be doing something wrong if you can't make a Carvin sound good. Unless it's one of their mediocre SS junkers.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

So, any good pedals out there for a boost for heavy tone? The Ts9 seems to be the way to go it seems. Also, any decent replacement tubes?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
So, any good pedals out there for a boost for heavy tone? The Ts9 seems to be the way to go it seems. Also, any decent replacement tubes?

OCD, barber dirty bomb, Tube Screamer, Crunch Box

I already gave you several suggestions, also, the TS-9 is pretty good. Depends, look at EL-34s, they seem to be the metal-manz toobz.
Quote by CL/\SH
I already gave you several suggestions, also, the TS-9 is pretty good. Depends, look at EL-34s, they seem to be the metal-manz toobz.

Oh, sorry, read over them, tired. haha.
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Oh, sorry, read over them, tired. haha.

Tis all right. Listen to the guy above me and look at dem pedals on youtube an such
TS7 is a cheap alternative to the TS9. Very small circuit differences that you can't hear when used as a boost and can barely hear when used as an OD.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by the_wassel
He just likes his vintage Music Man better.

There's a big difference between "he likes his Vintage Music Man better" and "z0mg Carvin are t3h sux0rz because my music teacher told me so"
Quote by AxSilentxLine
There's a big difference between "he likes his Vintage Music Man better" and "z0mg Carvin are t3h sux0rz because my music teacher told me so"

Sorry for being lazy.

Edit: And not descriptive.

Editedit: And for kinda trolling...

Editeditedit: And for double editing a post which is now triple edited...
Last edited by the_wassel at Aug 1, 2010,