today i decided to use my tax refund to purchase a new practice amplifier, i wanted a tube amp that i could crank at low volumes to give me that nice natural tone and breakup, i settled on the Marshall class 5, it takes pedals ridiculously well and gives me exactly what i wanted from a practice amp, my only problem is that the more i play it, the more i want that exact circuit in a head, but 50-60 watts. i'm not a stranger to soldering and such, and i was wondering if this is going to be a relatively easy build? and if anyone can give me some guidance as far as buy op transformer and parts/finding a wiring schematic. thankyou all!
some guitars
some amps
some pedals
some crabs
You're not gonna get single-ended sound at 60 watts, but you can copy the preamp and try to use the same output tubes. You'll need six EL84s in push-pull arrangement to get 50-60 watts of clean power. I'm not sure what power tubes you could substitute for similar power with less tubes to get a similar sound.
My Tele Project!

Cheapy Johnson Steel String Acoustic
Les Paul Ripoff w/ SD SH2 and SH4
Modded Crate V18 2x12 w/ Weber Speakers
Squier Deluxe 5-string Active J-Bass
Acoustic B100 15" Bass Combo Amp
Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
Last edited by Mike-T93 at Jul 31, 2010,
I'd like that exact tube amp scaled down to 1.5 watts or something for bedroom practice volume levels at max gain. the Marshall Class 5 is a sweet sounding amp but I hear it gets very loud. I wish it had a master volume but I guess they wanted it to be like a basic tube amp.
Fender Malmsteen Strat > Boss NS2 Noise Suppressor > NS2 Send > NeoClassic 3080 Compressor > NeoClassic 741 Overdrive > NS2 Return > NS2 Output > VHT Special 6 Ultra Amp > Amp Send > MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay > Boss RC3 Loop Station > Amp Return
Quote by Yngwie#1
I'd like that exact tube amp scaled down to 1.5 watts or something for bedroom practice volume levels at max gain. the Marshall Class 5 is a sweet sounding amp but I hear it gets very loud. I wish it had a master volume but I guess they wanted it to be like a basic tube amp.

Reducing the power output isn't going to affect the volume that much. You'd have to make a 1/2-watt amp to output half the volume of a 5-watt amp through the same speakers. You're better off just finding some really inefficient speakers.
My Tele Project!

Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
well i guess if you substituted the el84 for 2 el34's? i'd quite possibly like to add a master volume also.
some guitars
some amps
some pedals
some crabs
You can sub them out, but EL34s sound nothing like EL84s. EL84s break up sooner, are more upper middy and jangly, and have a pretty squishy compression whereas EL34s are more loud and open, think more classic Marshall tone.
My Tele Project!

Gray VS Jekyll & Hyde
Vox V847A Wah
what i found the hardest was layout of the parts. schematic was the easier part. fitting everything inside the chassis would be the tough part. you don't want the chassis so huge, but you still don't want a gigantic chassis.

also, push/pull amp would have less distortion from the power tube than single ended (like the class5) designs.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i guess i have some things to ponder. where is a good place to start as far as finding a suitable transformer, tube sockets etc as i am in the land down under.
some guitars
some amps
some pedals
some crabs
are you from the united states? if you are; here are good places i've had business with online:
-watts tube audio: www.turretboards.com board material, jacks/sockets, caps, almost everything here. you can purchase the chassis here also.
-angela instruments: www.angela.com i get my transformers/chokes here.
-weber VST: www.tedweber.com i get my speakers here. i do not like ted's amp parts.

i say make the amp (inside the metal chassis) first, test it, make sure it works right, THEN order a cabinet/speaker/etc for the outside.

estimated cost: $400~600 for just the chassis, no head cab. $600~800 with a head cab. $700~900 for a combo amp. low side of the costs are when you order everything right on the first time, you get everything correct the first time, no modifications after the amp is made (this will not happen if you know how to fiddle with amps. sadly).

edit: before i forget, i'll tell you one thing. design a schematic of what you're building first, then make a layout on a sheet of paper IN SCALE. this uses a lot of my brain cells. but it is very helpful. if you need to know recommended spacings between pots or something you can probably ask tons of users here.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Last edited by ECistheBest at Aug 1, 2010,
Quote by ECistheBest
are you from the united states?

Quote by Mech-cannibal
i am in the land down under.

unfortunately i'm in Australia good idea with the layout btw!
as for the chassis, i think i might just make one at work with the sheet metal press and stuff, make a nice solid one.
some guitars
some amps
some pedals
some crabs
sorry, i didn't know what "land down under" meant at first. i'm not too sure where amp builders on UG from australia get their parts from. but if you have an option to build a chassis at work, that would be great. I always wished I could make my own chassis and punch out holes my size without having to drill them with a hand drill.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i could see that as being relatively difficult and time consuming, very glad i have acces to a steel/sheetmetal rack, guillotine, cropper/punch etc etc. will make things alot less expensive, my housemate is also a carpenter so he'll help me with the cabinet.
some guitars
some amps
some pedals
some crabs
Also EC, i was just on the turretboards website, and the matchless lightning preloaded circut board caught my eye, this may be a n00b style question to ask, but if i were to buy this particular item, am i then free to decide the power output of this amplifier? or do i need to stick with the designated 15 watts that would usually constitute this amplifier?
some guitars
some amps
some pedals
some crabs
well, i'm assuming the board is all the components including filter caps and resistors, it still needs adjustment on the board to run at higher output. preamp can be used, but the poweramp needs to be modified, and the power transformer must be beefed up.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard