So how does everyone keep time when they're recording because I'm not too friendly with metronomes. Any suggestions on keeping time?
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Epiphone Valve Junior combo
dude, metronomes are the only way to go, or if you have a REALLY good drummer who can keep the time by himself
well i would need a metronome that gives me like a hi-hat and snare cause i can't stand just repetitive clicks or claps, but i could record the drums then listen to that while doing the guitar recording
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
That's what I do - I load a Drum beat from EZDrummer - loop it in Reaper and play along with that - much nicer than a metronome.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
I posted these a few months ago -

Here's some of my best from a whole lot of loops I've collected for years

Mostly Blues & Rock timings - some Metal too

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6OYRO0MB
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Metronomes can be funky to play along with if you're not used to them as we naturally want to swing beats a little and speed up/slow down at parts of a song. As stated above, playing along with a simple drum loop can make things easier but ideally, you'll want to keep at using a click track of some kind as thats what most studios would give a drummer to start out with.
yeah, my main problem is that the song i'm wanting to record the drummer half the time times off the guitarist and i can't keep time perfectly through the blank spots with the guitar and i loathe metronomes, i dunno what it is about them it just throws me way off
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15
Quote by grungebaby
yeah, my main problem is that the song i'm wanting to record the drummer half the time times off the guitarist and i can't keep time perfectly through the blank spots with the guitar and i loathe metronomes, i dunno what it is about them it just throws me way off

It's just something you have to practice, unfortunately. I couldn't stay in time for shit when I first started using one, but it really helps if you can do it.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
well i can usually stay in time with one when i play drums just not guitar i dunno why
Guitars:
LTD F-50
Yamaha EG-112
'77 Harmony
Roadworn Starcaster
Gretsch G5120

Amps:
Vypyr 15