does the edge III go out of tune a lot and how is the quality of it?
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
Quote by Karpet King
does the edge III go out of tune a lot and how is the quality of it?

It's the general consensus around here that the edge III goes out of tune a lot and is utter shite.
it sucks its the worst tremolo in the world .....

Godamn it we should make a sicky about this trem....USE THE SEARCH BAR!!!
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jul 31, 2010,
Its no where near as bad as people make it to be. It does not stay in tune as well as my OFR, but it is a lot smoother, and actually stays in tune very well, and if you dont abuse the bridge it should last you long. I have various guitars and one of them still has an edge III and it is not all that bad. This is coming from someone who owns both guitars with this system, OFR, and gotoh tunematic. you can actually see two of these guitars in my sig. one is Edge III, the other OFR.
is the cavity big enought to put something like a zr or an ofr
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
the edge III is nowhere near as bad as people say they are they stay in tune pretty well and are actually smooth
without much abuse they are quite playable
i think you can replace it with an edge pro which some say is much better than an ofr and it just drops in
Last edited by supersac at Jul 31, 2010,
Quote by Karpet King
is the cavity big enought to put something like a zr or an ofr

Look at the link in my sig... I replaced the bridge myself on one of my guitars. Its a lot of work but it is cheap
Quote by nyandres
Look at the link in my sig... I replaced the bridge myself on one of my guitars. Its a lot of work but it is cheap

dont swap it with an OFR,get the Edge pro instead..direct swap with no mods at all
Why do I feel like there's a thread exactly like this every day or so?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
edge III sucks, i sold my xpt700 and got a 5g1570 just because of tiring the edge III
My Guitar Rig:

> '09 Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue w/ DiMarzio John Petrucci Set
> ESP LTD V-50 Black
> Line 6 POD X3 Live
> Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
It's not as bad as people make it out to be but its pretty bad. If you set it up right it'll holds its tuning. The metal will wear alot faster.
The edge III.... Such a bad reputation, so i was reluctant to get a guitar with one. After PROPER setup, my edge III stays in tune just as well as my Floyd. I've put a floyd in a home made guitar, so i've got some experience with installation and setup of hte floating trem, and i say go for it, the finish will start to wear off, but if you set it up PROPERLY it'll treat you pretty well.
Joe Satriani isn't a man, but a god.
They stay in tune well for some time, but the knife edges go dull quickly in comparison to higher-end bridges. After that they're hell. How long they stay nice depends on how much and how violently you use them, it's also a matter of luck - some Edge IIIs are unusable right out of the box.

An OFR or any other good knife-edge system can last you twenty years or so before they need work. Consider yourself lucky if your Edge III lasts you two.
The best choice for a Edge III equipped guitar is replace the Edge III with an Edge Pro. The Edge Pro can drop right into the Edge III route.
Ibanez 540R
Ibanez RG1421F Prestige
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG120
Charvel 275DLX
Peavey Grind BXP 6-string Bass
Quote by TheQuailman
They stay in tune well for some time, but the knife edges go dull quickly in comparison to higher-end bridges.

well in the end I guess you get what you pay for
Sorry Edge III apologetics the Edge III is by far the worst double locking tremolo that has graced my life. I had a Rg 350 and even when set up right it it would go out of tune and the knife edges wore out fast. Sorry its just not that good. Ibanez has a track record of pulling this shit. uou cant expect to get a good tremolo from ibanez on their lower end guitar. First it was the LOTRS, then the Edge Pro II(which wasnt terrible) and now the edge III. Sure you can swap in an edge or OFR but point if you shouldnt have to swap out a bridge when you buy a guitar. Electronics, sure since they are a tonal preference kind of thing, but bridge? more work than it would be worth than to save up for a USED guitar with a bridge known to last decades.

Pifty's rule of Thumb, Dont buy an Ibanez with a bad trem

http://www.lawl.net/gtr/trems
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
my edge III is fine, i dont have tuning problems, but if you get a guitar with one, put the trem flat against the body.

you will have few-er tuning problems
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
I hate to say it, but the Edge III really IS as bad as it's reputation. I know a guitarist who has one, and he has a hell of a time trying to stay in tune through sets.

If you don't mess with it too much and the edge is still fresh it might be ok, but that's not really the point of a floating bridge...

I would definitely skip this one.

Look for an Edge pro, ZR, or OFR
Quote by mexican_shred

Dont buy an Ibanez with a bad trem

Yes. I do agree with that. You can buy a used rg570 for the price of a rg350 so theres not reason to in all honesty.

Plus most of the cheaper ibanez have the most horrible pickups and need a pickup upgrade as well (the mij v series are tolerable for a temp solution but not the infs) so when you factor that in as well the bridge then add it up it just seems like a really pointless excercise
Was gonna buy an Ibanez with the Edge III... tried it... bought my schecter fixed bridge instead. That should give you the jist about what I think about it.
Quote by thegreensquall
ok so one time i was totally wanking and then my mom walked in and my cat was in my room... she knocked first so i grabbed my cat and put it on my lap and started petting it to cover up but then i jizzed on my cat..
its fine for me... when im not using it.

i kinda hate it that my ivy has a floyd b/c stringing is a bitch. Its my second guitar and is good and all, but if i could, i would go back in time and get a fixed bridge ibanez.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
Last edited by DakoRob at Jul 31, 2010,
I had no problems with mine once it was set up properly... though I don't do much trem stuff.
Actually my RG hasn't been in my house for like half a year! I miss it... better go get it. Actually I better sell it... I need some money this summer I can't even afford the bus or beer. I probably won't even get much for it, scratched up so much. I'll just sell my amp and keep the guitar, that'll sort me out. I'm supposed to ring somebody about a job, but I feel I don't have the time, then again I'm always sat on my ass? If I had a car I could go pick the guitar up... man I need a car, need money for that though... oh yeah was supposed to ring that guy for the job! Oh shit I'm rambling....

The edge is fine for most stuff, maybe trem crazy shredders will need a ZR or FR