I have found these two guitars for the same price, along with a marshall as50d, but i'm not sure which is going to turn out better.

I have the feeling that the seagull has a better tone, but my friend and the salesperson both disagreed.

Has anyone had any experience with these two guitars who can help me out?

(I'll be playing them both with the amp and without, and both are cutaway)
The Taylor 214 sounds awefully thing. If you want a thicker, smoother tone, the Seagull is the way to go. As well, the Artist is the highest line in Seagull. I have a feeling that the quality might be a bit better as well.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
my main concern then is with the amp, the seagull really didn't have a great pickup and so on.

Ill try them both again, see how i feel.
The pickup on the 214 isn't that hot either. It's not the Taylor Expression System that you get on the 300 and higher models, it's a toned down version called the Taylor ES.

I've used some of the older Seagull electronics. I'd say that they sound better than what you get on a 200 series.
Equipment:

i could be wrong but the guy selling me the guitar seemed to have a pretty good idea and it was his impression it was the Taylor Expression System.

I guess its just about research and playing. Anything else in terms of sound that anyone else has experienced?
It is most definitely not the Expression System. If you look at the website, the 100 and 200 series has a system specifically called the Taylor ES, whereas the 300 and up have the Taylor Expression System.

It's a marketing ploy to make the two things look similar so that you assume it's the same thing.
Equipment:

The ES system for the 100/200 series is and has been known as ES-T, whereas the 300 and up series is just the Expression System (often abbreviated to ES). The ES-T uses an undersaddle transducer only and is a stripped-down version of the standard ES.

I personally hate them both, and I am a Taylor guy.
Taylor 710 97'
Taylor 414ce LTD-R Fall 09'
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500M
Custom strat

My photography
so the seagull is looking a lot better at this point.

what about the amp?

where is a marshall as50d on the scale of accepted amps and how would it play if i plugged an electric guitar into it?