So I am getting a real smooth sound out of the bugera 333xl now that I lowered the gain and raise the preamp volume. I asked the people at eurotubes which amp they recommend to make my sound even bigger sound while still allowing me to play tight modern experimental stuff. I said E34Ls would be ideal with gold pin JJ preamp tubes for a smoother break up.

Im told KT77s are more what im looking for.

Which would suit me better. It needs to be something with a fast huge responsive sound. Thanks
KT77s tend to stay cleaner for longer, so you'd have less spongy poweramp distortion which would be ideal for modern metal if you're getting all the dirt you need from the preamp.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Uh, I read somewhere that EL34Ls in A jsx will fry something, I think I read it on Eurotubes website. Since the 333xl is a near copy of the JSX (right?) I would not use them. I dunno If the 333xl would have this problem, but I would research it before getting EL34Ls. And I prefer KT77s in my JSX by the way. Good high end of the EL34 but with a little more low end punch.
--------------------------------
GEAR
Guitars----
Aria:Ariana
Ibanez:RG7321
Peavey:Raptor Sig. series
Peavey:EXP Sig. series
ESP LTD: V-500
Amplifiers----
Orange 2X12 cab
Peavey: JSX
Peavey: XXL
Quote by Drew Dolezal
Uh, I read somewhere that EL34Ls in A jsx will fry something, I think I read it on Eurotubes website. Since the 333xl is a near copy of the JSX (right?) I would not use them. I dunno If the 333xl would have this problem, but I would research it before getting EL34Ls. And I prefer KT77s in my JSX by the way. Good high end of the EL34 but with a little more low end punch.

XXX, bro. and the 333XL amp has a switch to use either 6L6s or EL34s
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by Drew Dolezal

It is still very smooth then right (the KT77s)?

I used to have an annoying buzzy distortion before I really tweaked the EL34s in the 333xl. I love the sound now, as its more defined and much bigger without the buzzy end on my notes. So you also think KT77's will give me even more of this huge smoothness Im loving.
Last edited by nyandres at Jul 31, 2010,
^Ah, but i still think it is a problem with the XXX series amps aswell.
http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-k.htm Go to the JSX/XXX section. It talks about them. And if you go to the Bugera info section he'll tell you the same thing. Now I dont know if this guy is blowing smoke or anything, lol. I have heard the guy who runs this kinda has (or did have) a gripe with peavey. I just dont want you to have problems with your amp, lol.

Edit: Yeah, I feel they are a lil smoother than EL34s. By the way you run KT77s in the EL34 mode. I dunno if you knew that or not, just so you know.
GEAR
Guitars----
Amplifiers----
Orange 2X12 cab
Last edited by Drew Dolezal at Jul 31, 2010,
Based on sound then, do you guys give me the go ahead for the KT77s?

Im looking for a sound that responds fast for technical stuff. I wont be playing technical things most of the time, but need a fast response for the small details I may add here and there
i designed my amp around EL34, and stuck it in, it was cool. it was a bit too crunchy/rough to me, so i went to find a smoother, rounder tube.

i tried KT77, KT66, and 6L6GC.

the favorite was the 6L6GC, it had the smoothest tone out of all four. KT77 seemed a bit TOO dark. I liked KT66, but it had a little too much chime to it.

although i'm saying smooth/crunchy/etc, my amp is a blues/rock amplifier. nothing close to metal.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I would say so. It might be hard, but i would maybe try to find some sound clips. But I think they will do what you want. But If they're not for you, keep em around. You may gravitate back to the sound of them. I know it somewhat costly, but try as many tubes as you can. It may be hit and miss, but I think its kinda fun to try new stuff, lol.
GEAR
Guitars----
Amplifiers----
Orange 2X12 cab
^exactly. i bought all three tubes (plus the EL34s i had for the amp) just to test them and see which one i liked. it blows when you have to buy quartets of each tubes to test tho. cause my amp is single ended with one power tube...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
This is one of the tones I am in love with

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRDY3xHMoKc

I know Satriani uses El34s but that sounds very processed, so what could get me close to that. It has like a surreal crispness to it. By the way, I am not really a metal player, but do add some metal here and there.

But what I mean on the smoothness is the high notes on the leads have no fizzy/buzzyness at all in their edges. And the rhythm in the intro sounds super tight
Last edited by nyandres at Jul 31, 2010,
Quote by ECistheBest
i designed my amp around EL34, and stuck it in, it was cool. it was a bit too crunchy/rough to me, so i went to find a smoother, rounder tube.

i tried KT77, KT66, and 6L6GC.

the favorite was the 6L6GC, it had the smoothest tone out of all four. KT77 seemed a bit TOO dark. I liked KT66, but it had a little too much chime to it.

although i'm saying smooth/crunchy/etc, my amp is a blues/rock amplifier. nothing close to metal.

So the KT77 is dark sounding compared to the others?