I was playing through my Vox Night Train, when suddenly it makes a couple of "pop" sounds similar to that of a cable being plugged in, and the sound dies! I immediately turned it all off, but then turned it back on again to test with a different guitar and cable. Still didn't work. Used multimeter on speaker cable and speaker, and they're all good it seems.

Basically, I'm now getting no sound from the amp, but it powers up, and all the tubes light up too, and I'm not sure if a broken tube is meant to not light up. I'm really hoping it's not something in the internal circuitry, but it seems strange that it all turns on fine.

If no one here knows if it could just be a valve issue, then I'm going to try the Vox forum, and if that doesn't help then I know some technicians. But you first, UG!
I'm not super familiar with the Night Train but if I could guess I would say that your HT (High Tension) fuse is blown. That is why the amp still lights up. Post in the Vox or Nightrain tread too. Should be an easy fix. After that if it still has problems then try swapping some tubes around...and then I'd say take it to a tech or get it fixed or replaced under warranty.

IMPORTANT: Replace the HT fuse. Safely please.

PS: why are there so many damn broken gear threads:? is it because it is summer time?

oh....gigging and such. no school. gotcha.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 31, 2010,
I'll have to look up a bit more about this HT fuse. I have no idea why it would of blown though! Thanks.

Also, it's winter where I am, so no idea why there's so many broken gear threads!
that last part was a funny. Spam basically.

IF it is an ht fuse then that tell us there is a problem with your amps power section. vs...say something else. as long as you are careful not to touch anything you can safely replace that fuse.......that is if there is even one. Again, I suggest posting on the Brotherhood of Vox thread here or sending an email to voxamps dot com.
I can't find a mention of a HT fuse in the amp, but what you're saying makes sense. I'm sure it would have one for safety, but I'll get onto the Vox thread and the website. Thanks for the help!
Alright,

The Night Train should have three fuses in its circuitry. The Tubes are still lighting up so the mains fuse and the heaters fuse obviously did not blow.

There is also a 160mA fuse on the HT center tap of your amp. Chances are this is inside the amp chassis and would require you to open the amp up in order to find the fuse.
Quote by XgamerGt04
Alright,

The Night Train should have three fuses in its circuitry. The Tubes are still lighting up so the mains fuse and the heaters fuse obviously did not blow.

There is also a 160mA fuse on the HT center tap of your amp. Chances are this is inside the amp chassis and would require you to open the amp up in order to find the fuse.

So you're fairly certain this fuse is the issue then? Would this just be a standard sized fuse for 160mA, or do I have to get a special one for high voltage or something?

EDIT: Wait on, I found a schematic and a picture of the circuit board, it's a 160mA 250V fuse. I hope it is that, as we suspect, as I can easily fix it (I'm studying electronics, and am well aware of the dangers of being shocked from capacitive charges). The Vox thread hasn't given me an answer yet, but if I open the amp and it isn't the fuse, time to take the issue to higher up people.

But thankyou to both of you, you've both been very helpful!
Last edited by Rokeman at Jul 31, 2010,
The value of the fuse makes perfect sense as far as the current rating goes. And its the center tap that is fused so high voltages aren't too much of an issue. If you open it up and its not the fuse then take pictures of the guts of the amp. Also look around to see if you notice any burning or other unusual charring on the circuit board.

If you take the pictures I'll look over it and see if I notice anything.

As far as what size fuse, you'll probably need to look inside the amp at first. Its possible that the fuse is PCB mounted, which will complicate replacing it a bit.

Let me know if you need any more help. If you need it, PM me and I'll give you some way to contact me like AIM or MSN
Hey hey, the situation magically resolved itself! I opened it up, all the fuses were fine :/ Went "wtf". Removed a bit of glue that had a bit of solder hanging off (when amp is upright, the solder would be against the bottom, not the pcb, shouldn't of been an issue). Put it back together, plugged it, it works!

I took a photo on my phone, not sure about quality, but it's all back together now. I'm going to do some more research into this sort of thing happening, my friend reckons the same sort of thing happened to him and his Fender.

And thanks for taking an interest and sticking with this guys, it's very appreciated
Well just let us know if it happens again. A loose screw could possibly cause that. Let me know if you need help in the future.
Hey guys, it's happening again, same situation, about to take the issue to Vox website, though I value your inputs as well. Maybe someone new will see the thread too.
I've already opened it up, though I guess they don't have to know that. The only issue I have with warranty is the amount of time it'll take for it to get sent to places to get fixed, but you're right, no point me stuffing it up trying to rush it.