hi guys, i'm gonna buy my second guitar (i have an Ibanez RGR 321 EX) and I'm thinkin either of buying an Epiphone LP Gothic and put on EMG 81 & 60 or buying an Epiphone Futura Custom FX.

i'm getting one of these from thomann.de . the LP with the EMGs costs 395euros and the futura 529euros.

which one do u think is best?

LP:http://www.thomann.de/gr/epiphone_gothic_lespaul_studio.htm
Futura:http://www.thomann.de/gr/epiphone_futura_custom_fx_me.htm
Last edited by Dark_Angel_No9 at Jul 31, 2010,
Personally i would go for the Futura. I have played it and it is one awesome guitar and it comes with the EMGs. So personally i would say buy that, but what you really need to do is try and find them in a shop so you can play and compare them
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
Esp-Ltd Kh-202
Custom '86 Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez JS-100
Peavy Bandit 65
Line 6 Spider iii 30
Zoom G2
If you like your Ibanez, I find it kind of hard to believe that you'd like Epiphone as well. Their necks are really different. I sold my Epiphone, because I just had no desire whatsoever to play it anymore. Fat neck, short scale length... things you need to take into consideration when you buy a new guitar.

But if you're already played those guitars and like them then disregard me. If not... regard me?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
The neck on the Futura isn't actually that fat, it is quite thin in my opinion. However Offworld you do have a point about his Ibanez.
My Gear

Esp-Ltd Kh-202
Ibanez JS-100
Peavy Bandit 65
Line 6 Spider iii 30
Zoom G2
yeah i'm going to play and compare them, my only hesitation about the futura is it's price, if it was a bit cheaper i'd definitely go for this one. on the other hand i like the lp gothic style but i don't know if it's worth it to put on emgs or it's gonna be a waste of money..

abouy my ibanez, yeah i like it but i'd like a fatter neck... i have played on an epiphone lp once with fat neck and i liked it! not that i have a problem with thin necks like the futura's :P
The pickups on the gothic aren't all that bad tbh, they are the same as whats on the Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 and they arn't too shabby imo. but yh the price of the Futura is quite expensive. Also have you tried looking at Bareknuckle pickups? My friend put some of those in his Epiphone or Ibanez i can't remember which but they sound awesome.
My Gear

Esp-Ltd Kh-202
Ibanez JS-100
Peavy Bandit 65
Line 6 Spider iii 30
Zoom G2
hmm.. i haven't checked them out, i was thinkin about the emgs because i like metallica sound a lot and a friend of mine has too and i know what it's like
Seeing as you like Metallica like i do (as you can probably tell lol) have you looked at any ESP-LTDs? you can get some proper decent ones for not alot i mena i have Kirk Hammets cheapest signature model and forunatly its the old one so it has EMGs in it, but you should go check out some of the LTDs
My Gear

Esp-Ltd Kh-202
Ibanez JS-100
Peavy Bandit 65
Line 6 Spider iii 30
Zoom G2
yeah i've checked out some, for example ltd fx-360,400 but their kinda expensive :\ i've checked out and ltd ex-50 but i'm not sure about it's durability because i've read some bad reviews concerning that. i've seen the kirk hammets ltd model but it has passive emgs and here in greece it's a bit more expensive than usual :p

edit: found it and at thomann it costs 485 euros and it has EMG-ESP LH-300 pick-up set... :\