hey, i am interested in buying a Boss GT-10 and i am wondering if i need to get a better sound card for my pc for recording. i have the standard sound card from my motherboard (nforce 750i).
will the standard line in or usb port on my PC make a difference on how it sounds than if i buy a better sound card?
Also i need to know if i can hook it up to my VOX VT100?
i really need to know, thanks!
if your planning on recording your probably going to need a usb interface..which acts as a soundcard..i have this one:http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tascam-US122MKII-USB-2.0-2channel-AudioMIDI-Interface-?sku=583090&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=419905102

and if you want quality recording you will need to mic up your amp with a microphone like a shure sm57 which is standard for micing amps...if you record with a mic you will get dynamics unlike when you record right into the interface(line in)

hope this helps!
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
I currently play my GT 10 in front of a VT50 (guitar->gt10->amp) and it sounds good.
I'll be getting an all-tube amp soon though and will be running the gt10 in the effects loop because if you have it in front of the amp it does color the sound quite a bit (still useable, but it's a hearable difference).
If I'm not mistaken the VT100 has an effects loop though so that should work nicely.
(the above counts for the effects and not the preamp. I personally don't like the sound when the preamp is activated on the gt10 and then going into the amp)
what i am aiming to do is use it with my amp, but also record tracks straight to my pc if i want to. couldn't i just plug it into a standard USB port?
no you need a usb interface. should look like this if you dont want to use a microphone.

computer usb input>usb interface>guitar

and use software like garageband to add effects and what not
Guitars:
94' Epiphone Les Paul Honeyburst
Ibanez RG7620
Ibanez RG560

Amp:
Peavey Valveking Head
Marshall 1960b
You can just plug in the USB from the Boss GT-10 into your computer. Driver for computer gets installed and your good to go. I record with Music maker. Works fine for me. No better sound card is required in my opinion.

Good luck