I want to learn as much as I can in this subject and thus wondered what different (or all the similar) approaches people use to inlay something that is not a simple shape, e.g if you're carving out a picture or something. It amazes me the detail some luthiers can archieve when inlaying but it's probably so amazing because I'm not so certain of what's going on...

Any help'd be lovely, thanks
Dremel +
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bindings,_trim/Tools_and_supplies_for_binding:_Binding_channel_cutting/Precision_Router_Bases/Precision_Router_Base.html

and a jeweller's saw (fret saw if your cutting wood, NOT the type that for cutting the slots)

Throw in some needle files and you should be away.

Just cut out the shape you want with the saw, draw around it and then rout out the right depth with the dremel. you might need a knife or chisel to get into the tight corners.
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Got a Dremel and got something like that on it's way to me so happy days.

Speckled - as in this kind of saw?

http://www.hobbytools.com.au/images/35750.jpg

Absent, do you have that book then? Looks pretty pricey but if it's actually as good as the reviews make out, perhaps a worthy investment.

Corduroy, lmi = ?
Clearly its priced wrong, should be around $10/15

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
I have a couple books, including the one posted. All they really offered me were one or two different ways to do a certain process. Honestly, i found it much more informative to figure out the general process, then i started practicing. Inlay takes a lot of practice to do it correctly, and beautifully.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by Pearlpicks.com
Got a Dremel and got something like that on it's way to me so happy days.

Speckled - as in this kind of saw?

http://www.hobbytools.com.au/images/35750.jpg

Absent, do you have that book then? Looks pretty pricey but if it's actually as good as the reviews make out, perhaps a worthy investment.

Corduroy, lmi = ?

Art of inlay doesn't really tell you how to do inlay work. There is a bit of info but mostly it's a bunch of pics. I've got a copy that I bought about 5 years ago and it's a fun book but hardly and "how to". The DVD's I talked about are also made By Larry Robinson. When I got mine there were 3 (beginner, intermediate, and expert) and they were very good "how to" guides that went into a lot of detail.

LMI stands for Luthiers mercantile international. There website is www.lmii.com and they have, or used to have, several good books and DVD's about inlay.
Quote by Pearlpicks.com
Yeah I have it and I'de say its worth the read, CorduroyEW is right it isnt particularly indepth, but if you can get it for like $15 then its worth it, you cant unlearn anything.

Those dvds seem kinda expensive though? $55 per stage?

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
^$55 per stage??? I got all 3 for $60.00. Don't think they are worth the current asking price, but they are a good place to start.
Do you know where you can get them in the UK for that price? I'de quite like to get hold of them, but 55 each is a joke...

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?CategoryName=Videos%2C+DVD%92s%2C+CD%92s&NameProdHeader=Inlay+Techniques%2C+Larry+Robinson

Its the same on his website...

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Last edited by Absent Mind at Aug 1, 2010,
^I got mine an ex wife and 3 kids ago, so it's been a while. If I can find them then I can loan them to you if you have a multisystem TV that can handle NTSC picture format. I'm pretty sure the DVD's are region 0 but they are NTSC not pal.
That would be awesome! My bro thinks a lap top might be able to play them, cant hurt to try I suppose.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
I got the art of inlay book... not informative at all. you basically just have to do basic shapes and such and work your way up. Like any good skill, it takes times to perfect.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology