When I was at guitar center the other day, I asked the guy what really makes a good tone. He said it's the guitar, amp, and the way you play. I tried different guitars on the same amp, and I was getting different tones sure, but one wasn't sort of "better" than the other one. So why do people focus on getting new and different guitars? is it just for that different tone? Is there such a thing as a bad guitar then? Because I feel that with the right amp, any $50 guitar could sound mega.

Also, I've been playing for about 8 months or so. I have gotten better, yes. But how should I my playing be? I still make mistakes here and there, and when I hear myself play it sounds like my timings a little off. I have never played with a metronome. I guess I'm just getting a little discouraged because maybe I haven't come a long way in these 8 months?

I play almost every day from 15 to 60 minutes.
For me, its about how easy the guitar is to play. For instance, i will probably never own a Les Paul because i cant play them as well as say, a PRS. Having said that, most people make the choice to buy another guitar for different pickup combinations, especially recording musicians.

Also, the construction quality between 2 different guitars can be massive.

As far as progressing goes, just play with a metronome every other day. That should help.
There is no "best" tone, and if you coudlnt find a tone you really liked after trying a bunch of diff guitars on the same amp, then the amp is the problem!

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
To some people the tones you get from a cheap $50 guitar could be considered the best.

Usually that won't be the case, however, because of shoddy craftsmanship on such a guitar.

The difference between a $500+ guitar and a $200- guitar is massive. It's not just the tone that changes- you could have those two guitars with very similar tones- it's the construction. The cheap one will have cheap parts- feedback from poor wiring, strings that go out of tune, fret buzz, etc. The expensive one will most likely eliminate these issues, thus making it a better guitar.

Difference in tone comes from a few factors, such as wood and finish type, pickup type and string gauge, not from price.
Tone is completely opinion based - kind of like asking the terrible "who's a better guitarist question".

What affects tone? Everything. The biggest definition is amp. A $200 guitar through, say, a Mesa Boogie will still sound fantastic.

The player affects the tone. The fingers, way they play, everything. Eric Clapton playing a Squier will still sound like Eric Clapton.
Quote by Guitardude19
The world is a fucked up place.

Tele's

"Oh I'll play the blues for you"