I recently changed string gauges down from 45-105 to 40-95 and I'm finding that my playing is very heavy handed and I'm getting a lot of fret buzz where I'm hitting the strings into the fret. I was heavy handed on the 105 gauge but it was less noticeable. Does anyone have any good tricks or exercises that promote a lighter touch when playing.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
I can't think of anything in particular, aside from boosting the volume of the amp, then thinking of stroking the strings, rather than plucking.

Maybe working through scales or songs, with the amp louder than you would usually have it, and make it sound quieter, or at the volume you normally have it when practicing, with a lighter touch from your plucking hand?
Dan, try slowing down your playing a bit and then working up to speed again. Now that I am actively switching between upright and electric, I often have the same issue. When we play faster, many of us subconsciously fret and pluck harder. Slowing down and then being conscious of the pressure on your fretting and plucking hand can help you adjust your grip to the lighter strings.
What I do is not anchor my thumb since that's what im used to. So when my hand floats it feels lighter
Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
Quote by tubatom868686
Why the change in gauge?

I fancied experimenting, I've used roto 45-105's since I started playing 5 years ago.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Use more of the tips of your fingers. Try not to hook them when you pluck the strings.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by skater dan0
I recently changed string gauges down from 45-105 to 40-95 and I'm finding that my playing is very heavy handed and I'm getting a lot of fret buzz where I'm hitting the strings into the fret. I was heavy handed on the 105 gauge but it was less noticeable. Does anyone have any good tricks or exercises that promote a lighter touch when playing.

Had the same issue with a set of TI Acousticores a while back. All the low tension you'd expect from a nylon core, .041-.086 set of strings. The only thing I could do was adjust my pizz technique to a consistently light attack and bump the volume on the amp. This new approach narrowed my window of dynamics. I went back to heavier strings after the TI's fell apart.
part of it could just be your bass. my bass is set up for just small bit of buzz for 45-105, but when i get a lighter set every now and then, i end up getting a lot more.
Quote by skater dan0

It buzzes more often because a lighter gauge string vibrates more. The quickest, and simplest way w/out messing with your technique is to raise the action on the bass.