Hi guys, as some of you guys may know, I just built a pedalboard, and it has two pedals and they look really lonely on my big pedalboard . So now I am making it look a little bit more full, and I am finding the necessities for my board. I have an OD and a wah, I am going to get a footswitch for my vox, a 1 spot power, and then some more pedals down the way.

So my questions. EQ PEDALS! I hear an EQ pedal is a great thing to have on a pedalboard, and I hear that a lot of people run them through effect loops. Which I do not have. So would it be worth it to get one?

Also, if people could inform me a little bit more on what an EQ pedal actually does that would be helpful.

And last, I want to keep it cheap, so reccomend me some. The two I was looking at:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Danelectro-DJ14-Fish-and-Chips-7-Band-EQ-Pedal-101149250-i1124602.gc

and

http://www.guitarcenter.com/MXR-M-109-6-Band-Graphic-EQ-100100151-i1124434.gc

Thanks!
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
it's just an extra tone shaper to use in conjuction with the amp's EQ for a wider range of sounds. they're a lot more useful when you have an FX loop. when it's in the loop, you're shaping the sound after the preamp's EQ is already in the signal. Your EQ pedal becomes the final, and therefore most effective, EQ in your chain.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I have that Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ and it works great. My only complaint is that the stomp button is a little difficult to turn on, I think I may swap it out for some different type of switch. Honestly it was sort of an impulse buy for me considering how cheap it was, but it's a great value.

Out of the two you listed I'd pick the Danelectro but I believe MXR makes a 10-band EQ which would probably be preferable because it would give you more settings to tweak.

If I recall correctly from your pedalboard thread you don't have a delay pedal, I'd highly recommend getting that maybe even before the EQ. I have a Boss DD-3 (about $120 new, much less if you buy used) that works really well with my Hardwire CM-2. Really fills out the sound.
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender American Special Strat
Assorted Boss and Hardwire pedals
Vox AC15C1
Thanks, both of you.

Currently, my priority for pedals are:

VFS-5
1 Spot Power
EQ
Delay

And then whatever comes after. You say that the EQ doesn't work too well without an FX loop, can I buy one that would work? Like this?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Radial-Engineering-BigShot-EFX-Effects-Loop-153937-i1124799.gc

I will let you know I don't know much about pedals, I am really new to effects because I have always used the onboard effects on my amps.

And if you are wondering, the plan for a new amp goes like this. Pedals from now untill Christmas time, then I will be able to start looking at an amp.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
Thanks, both of you.

Currently, my priority for pedals are:

VFS-5
1 Spot Power
EQ
Delay

And then whatever comes after. You say that the EQ doesn't work too well without an FX loop, can I buy one that would work? Like this?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Radial-Engineering-BigShot-EFX-Effects-Loop-153937-i1124799.gc

I will let you know I don't know much about pedals, I am really new to effects because I have always used the onboard effects on my amps.

And if you are wondering, the plan for a new amp goes like this. Pedals from now untill Christmas time, then I will be able to start looking at an amp.

Its not the same as an amps FX loop. This one allows you to place things after the pedals' settings, but an amps Loop on the other hand lets you apply what you put on the loop after the preamp which is where the equalizing and distortions are excuted in the amps, therefore you get much more equalizing power.
Whoever said that an EQ only works well in the effects loop, that's a load of crap.

EQ pedals work equally well both in front of the amp and i the loop, but they effect the sound differently based on whether they come before or after the gain circuit. I like to keep mine first in the signal chain before any distortion/fuzz and it sounds great there. You'll have to do a little experimenting to figure out where you like it the best.

As for which one, I have the Dan'o Fish n' Chips which is good but I'd probably get the MXR over it.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Jul 31, 2010,
Quote by justinb904
Whoever said that an EQ only works well in the effects loop, that's a load of crap.

EQ pedals work equally well both in front of the amp and i the loop, but they effect the sound differently based on whether they come before or after the gain circuit. I like to keep mine first in the signal chain and it sounds great there.

As for which one, I have the Dan'o Fish n' Chips which is good but I'd probably get the MXR over it.

Thanks man. So you dont think it would be an issue to run something like MXR - CM2- Delay- Wah?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
Thanks man. So you dont think it would be an issue to run something like MXR - CM2- Delay- Wah?

That should work fine. I would encourage you to experiment by rearranging them to find what sounds best to you.

Personally I'd do Wah -> EQ -> CM2 -> Delay, but that's just my ordering preference. Different people like different things.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
That should work fine. I would encourage you to experiment by rearranging them to find what sounds best to you.

Personally I'd do Wah -> EQ -> CM2 -> Delay, but that's just my ordering preference. Different people like different things.

Sweet thanks.

Anyone else have experience running an EQ without a loop?
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Quote by diceksox1809
Sweet thanks.

Anyone else have experience running an EQ without a loop?

I have. Its less effective though. Its kinda like using a different guitar in comparison of actually equalizing the distorted signal. It works well nonetheless
It depends what you want the EQ for. A lot of people use the EQ as a solo boost, keeping all the sliders flat apart from the "output level" one, which increases volume, but nothing else, and is better in the FX loop rather than in front of the amp. If you want to change the sound of your guitar though, I'd recommend putting it in front of the amp, so you're changing the cleanest guitar sound possible, rather than it being after all the effects.
Ibanez Musician ('78)/Epiphone G-400/Fender Lite Ash Telecaster/Michael Kelly Valor X->Polytune->EX-7->Crybaby->OD-9->BD-2->EVH Phase 90->Hayden Mofo

Send->EHX DMB->DL-8->RV600->Return

Friends are like potatoes: If you eat them, they die.
in the loop, the EQ works better IMO as it is more pronounced. dont sweat it if you dont have a loop, just experiment with your pedal order.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Spend the extra cash on an MXR10. Worth it just for the master volume knob. Makes it far easier to use as a boost.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you run it out front it can double as a boost, however I see you use a VT so that's probably not a lot of use to you in that way. I'd normally say get the 10 band MXR instead to get the master volume knob but again, into a VT that's not such an issue.
Bloody modelling amps, it makes it so hard to recommend pedals when somebody has one of those. Now if you had a real amp (ie one with valves) the choice is simple - MXR 10 band.
Doesn't the VT have an EQ built in? If so, what's wrong with it?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i just bought a used boss ge7 EQ pedal from a guitar center in texas for 39.99 plus shipping (which was 8 bucks). guy said it looks clean with no dings or scratches.

yeah you can use it to shape your tone by boosting/cutting certain frequencies. so its like the EQ in your amp, but in a stomp box. so you can change your whoel sound with a click.

OR raise the overall levels for a volume boost. it can also push an amp into overdrive.

i bought mine for this. the ge7 has sliders and a master tone. im going to adjust the lead tone i want, and bump the volume up so i have a solo boost pedal basically. works really well, i tested it out at my local store.
Quote by Cathbard
If you run it out front it can double as a boost, however I see you use a VT so that's probably not a lot of use to you in that way. I'd normally say get the 10 band MXR instead to get the master volume knob but again, into a VT that's not such an issue.
Bloody modelling amps, it makes it so hard to recommend pedals when somebody has one of those. Now if you had a real amp (ie one with valves) the choice is simple - MXR 10 band.
Doesn't the VT have an EQ built in? If so, what's wrong with it?

Im building up a pedalboard for now so it can be all ready for when I buy my next amp. Prob a Vox AC15 or something, not sure yet.

So yeah.
2007 Yamaha APX500
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Get 2 EQs. Put one before the distortion and one after - maybe in effects loop.
i have played with my ge7 for about 3 hours today.

my findings are that EQ after distortion doesnt work. it works, but your mix of boost between your amp channel and then your distortion pedal will NEVER be correct. i tried for hours. that is because it is one volume for amp crunch channel, and then it actually boosts the distortion pedal and is always louder than the crunch channel. so unless you want to adjust your pedals every otehr song.....no go.

solution probably run a loop.

my fix: put EQ BEFORE distortion. that way it is not boosting the distortion pedal mostly, but pretty much the entire chain as a whole. it is the same volume level for both my boss dist. pedal and my amp channels.

i am running: guitar>crybaby>EQ>distortion>amp

i also find that the EQ pedal is a tad noisy, the moreso you adjust the sliders. it is also mor noisy before the dist. but i like it btter there than after.

ALSO - i find because it doesnt really add gain, you can adjust your sound to come through clear as a bell. IE- your lead tone is crystal and every note can be heard. using my boss as an overdrive, my sound got louder, more distorted, and fuzzier. tihs almost clears things up. little volume, littel treble, cut a frequeny, etc. some tweaking and it sounds a lot better....despite the added noise to teh signal. but if your soloing your probably so loud nobody will notice.

the more gain your pushng the louder it is. ie - the clean channel not so much. high gain from my pedal plus the EQ....pretty bad wooshing sound IF your not playing.
Last edited by ikey_ at Aug 4, 2010,