Hello I have been playing guitar for like 4 months now and i learned the stairway to heaven solo about a month ago. I have become very angered because i can play the solo pretty will with out a backing track but then when i put the backing track on and try to play it sounds awful. I just cant seem to keep it on time. Anyone have any advice on how to fix this problem? i really do need advice on how to get this solo to match the backing track. I seriously have been working to hard and to long on this to not be able to match it to a backing track. The very first lick seems to work well but then everything after that until the fast repetitive lick at 15th fret sounds bad. but from there to the end it sounds great.
Just keep working at it. You've only been playing 4 months, I wouldn't really say someone with that little of experience should be trying that cause you are not gonna play it right for a while. It's good practice, but it's probably a little too much right now.

Maybe you should come back to it after a few more months, give your fingers time to get stronger and more adept to the idea of soloing. Especially since it's a Jimmy Page solo with some pretty intense vibrato bends, triplets, etc... etc... More Pagey ridiculousness.

Good Luck
Guitars
Gibson SG '61 Reissue 'Aretha'
Fender MIM Strat 'Rosy'
Takamine EG 332c 'Betsy'
Epiphone G-400 'Lucy'

Amps
Crate V-18 1x12
Roland Cube 30x

Pedals
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Double Muff
Line 6 Echo Park
Last edited by rhcpjhlz at Jul 31, 2010,
practice.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Separate the solo into sections and work on them individually.

Extra tip: don't be afraid to ad lib it!
Comic

SAAAAAAAAANNNNNSSSS!!!!