hi, i am from Karachi, Pakistan. i picked up the guitar last year. i was 22 back then. but now i have been wondering that maybe i picked up the guitar too late since now i am a student in university and my career as a computer scientist is really important to me. programming is another passion of mine. this requires me to study and be at the PC alot which doesn't leave a lot of free time. friends of mine who are good at guitar picked it up when they were 17 or 18. And on the forums alot of people who are good at guitar claim to practice at least 6 hours a day and i wanna become as good as them. my question is:
"is it always one way or the other when you want to become good at guitar? i.e. either you're a computer scientist or you're good at guitar?"
Quote by Maynard James Keenan

Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion
Quote by padfootpak
hi, i am from Karachi, Pakistan. i picked up the guitar last year. i was 22 back then. but now i have been wondering that maybe i picked up the guitar too late since now i am a student in university and my career as a computer scientist is really important to me. programming is another passion of mine. this requires me to study and be at the PC alot which doesn't leave a lot of free time. friends of mine who are good at guitar picked it up when they were 17 or 18. And on the forums alot of people who are good at guitar claim to practice at least 6 hours a day and i wanna become as good as them. my question is:
"is it always one way or the other when you want to become good at guitar? i.e. either you're a computer scientist or you're good at guitar?"

it helps to start at a young age , but it's newer too late
i staret when i was 18 , and it turned out yust great
btw i'm studiing computer science and information tehnologies
and i know that there isn't a lot of time , you can get good but it'll
take some time .
don0t ekspect to get good in a month , no one did .
yust keep on practicing , maybe seach some song you like ,
and maybe something easyer . what music do you listen to ?
acoustic or electric ?
don't give up and have a lot of funn playing
you can do it if you want to, just have fun while playing, there's no point in being the next hendrix if you dont have fun.
never too late to feel the power of music. the power of rock compels you!!! if you can practice 1 hour a day, thats enough to learn quite a bit, especially if its focused on a single skill or scale or song or something.
It's never to late. I had one of my dad's friends at his work want to learn, so I sat down with him twice a week and taught him how to play. He's 36...

It's never to late to learn to play guitar or any instrument for that matter.
Quote by Ic3

what music do you listen to ?
acoustic or electric ?

i listen to all kinds of guitar based songs and eminem ()

but i want ot get good in blues and blues-rock., and classic rock songs.

I guess you want to pratice guitar on a hobby basis. If you don't want to be the next Slash and just want to have fun playin guitar, you can do with less than six hours per day. If I pratice 30-45 minuttes every day you will still improve as a guitarist, have fun and one day become a good guitarist and when you fell like you can always pratice longer. The most important aspect is that you use your pratice time well and keep focus on your goals and how to reach them. Also remember to have realistic goals and just take one step at a time.

I dont your current skill level or what your pratice routine is but I hope, I could at least a little bit. You can pursue both passions if you just keep rocking and have fun!
Quote by padfootpak
i listen to all kinds of guitar based songs and eminem ()

but i want ot get good in blues and blues-rock., and classic rock songs.

maybe try to learn something really easy like this:

old mcdonbal

E:|5550|2220|99775|5550|5550| and so on....

maybe try out some beatles or the ramones

find a song that you like and it has a slow intro , try to play it
then move on to pover chord , it looks hard but it's not

there are some cool articles on UG go to beginers and basic under lessons

you said you have some frineds that play guitar , maybe when you learn a song
go play whit them , it really hels beacuse they can help you inprove and you learn to play on time , plus it's really fun
i CAN play some songs, but the blues-rock and acoustics walking bass types are hard for me!
I've done old McDonald and i know all power chords plus theory of major chords and the elementary box shape of the minor pentatonic movable scale! just don't know how much i can get to practice to play good rhythm.

Quote by padfootpak
i CAN play some songs, but the blues-rock and acoustics walking bass types are hard for me!
I've done old McDonald and i know all power chords plus theory of major chords and the elementary box shape of the minor pentatonic movable scale! just don't know how much i can get to practice to play good rhythm.

you really know a lot of stuff
yust keep practicing and you'll get good the rhytem part comes
from practicing , maybe try something more acoustic for the begining

have fun playing
its never too late to learn. if you wanna be an awesome guitarist you definitely have to sink some time into it but at the same time i believe that 30-45 minutes of focused practice a day can work small miracles in a year. its more about practicing things correctly than repetitiously.

some tips that i learned - watch how your favorite guitarist plays, how their hands move picking and fretting and try to emulate the little things you inevitably notice.

practice before bed, scientific studies show that when we go to sleep our brain builds new neural pathways and if you're playing guitar properly before bed your brain will build around that. do that for some months and let nature work for you

make sure your guitar is set up properly and the strings are nice and close to the fretboard. its worth the $40 to have it set up right to keep from killing your fret hand

if you want to seriously get better you have to practice EVERY DAY, not a ton every day but it definitely needs to be consistent. i recommend to people to get a crappy tape recorder and make a tape of themselves playing. then in 6 months or a year bust out that tape and listen to it, you will notice all the improvements you've made. do this often as its quite encouraging to listen to yourself getting better and better over time.

be your own worst critic and be honest with yourself, don't let "good enough" slide. but don't kick your own as$ too hard either, find a nice easy medium of realizing when you simply need to keep working on something to make it sound better.
Last edited by z4twenny at Jul 31, 2010,
I don't know what's wrong with people. A lot claim that they're too old to learn an instrument, make a career change, go overseas etc. It's your life, you can do what you want with it. If you want to learn, learn. You don't need anyones permission.

I began singing lessons last year (at age 26). The vast majority of the students are 14-18 years old, then a massive gap until people around 40 years old. I guess by that age people don't care about "being too old" anymore and just want to have fun doing what they want.

Same goes for drum lessons - I'm inbetween an 8 year old and a 12 year old. Go figure
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
really a lot of people say an hour of practice a day works...

but really any practice in a day even 5 minutes can help...and really i dont think it's ever too late to pick one up
There's no such thing as too late or too old. If you enjoy it, screw how old you are.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39