Hey guys, I just started playing (electric) guitar, I'm on 46 hours so far and I've just reached the point where I'm starting to like it and I hope the motivation will get better.

Some questions:

1) I lean my back into the guitar neck and sort of at an angle it seems to align my fret hand into the fretboard and make it easier, but after an hour my back sore, does playing like this for long time you get a bad back?

2) Right now I'm concentrating on 2nd octave like 12 fret and down. That's my sweet spot and I don't like to use the thumb over neck grip, but as I keep going higher (like towards bridge) it seems to become more hard/impossible, so do I revert to the thumb over neck as I go down?

3) Right now I'm practicing on a fender squier. Later on when I'm better I want to get a much better guitar. I don't have a lot of money, so my idea is to spend a lot of money (like 3,000-4,000) on just 1 guitar and that'll be my main if not only guitar for ever. But I want good tone and it has to have 24 frets and be able to have/be modded to have a killswitch. So far the only big brand that i see that has 24 frets is ESP, but they don't have dual volume knobs like fender so u cant mod a killswitch. On the other hand, fender has them, but they dont have 24 fret and the neck is too wide.

4. But more than that I want great great tone, but tone is the thing which really puzzles me. I nightmare to me would to have mediocre tone, I want awe inspiring tone than motivates me to play, how do you get awesome tone, is it just a lucky guitar wood or what?

I know the pro's always have great tone, but most youtbe guitarists have OK tone. The only exception I've seen so far is Funtwos tone. So how/why is there this rift between average tone of most guitarists and awesome tone of pros? What is it they have? Is it the amp, guitar etc?

Also by tone the one I'm looking for is definitely not bluesy, but bright euphoric. I guess like eddie vav halen/ buckethead/ funtwo

Thanks.
Last edited by likewhatever101 at Jul 31, 2010,
Awesome tone comes from an awesome amp, and the effects you can use. Spending 3000-4000 on a guitar, and having a spider of mg will still result in having a shit tone. If you spent 1500 on a guitar, and 2500 on the right amp and effects, you'll have an amazing tone
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
the awesome tone is in the fingers. thats it. you just have to find it in your playing and yourself.
1) I would assume that it would probably mess up your back if you played like that long enough, so I would suggest finding a different configuration. Experiment with different strap lengths and try siting down occasionally.

2) Proper technique dictates that you don't put your thumb over the fretboard unless you're fretting something with it, but most people do it anyway. It comes down to what you're comfortable with.

3) Tone comes from almost everything. Type of wood in the body, fretboard, type of pickups, their configuration, whether you run a direct line to the amp, what pedals you are using, and the amp make and the speakers within it.
JordanFlayer uses:

Fender and Yamaha Guitars
Ernie Ball .11-.54 Strings
Marshall and Peavey Amps
MXR Pedals
Fender Medium Picks

Number 45 of the Iron Maiden are Gods club- 'PM Revelations to join

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/map /

1. depends , do you have back problems ? standing or siting ? if you're standing your strap could be set to long , shortening can help you play easier chords , not muting strings , no back pain

3. 3.000-4.000 dolars ? if so try out some gibson , LP and other stuff they're 3.000 and around
or maybe a fender telecaster or stratocaster , the tone is a combo of wood , electronics and amplifiers , effect , strings help to . maybe spent some money on effect pedals and a spider or marshal . what music do you play ? for me a LP junior has an inspiring sound . Maybe try out an half acoustick or explorer . The best would it be to go to the store and try them out
1) wat

2) no, you don't have to slide your thumb over it just takes practice.

3) good tone comes from a quality guitar and quality amp (but moreso the amp). In the guitar you want to look for good wood, good construction and a good bridge (if you ware getting a locking trem). Past that, pickups can be changed and a killswitch can be installed in anything.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by Koshman32
Awesome tone comes from an awesome amp, and the effects you can use. Spending 3000-4000 on a guitar, and having a spider of mg will still result in having a shit tone. If you spent 1500 on a guitar, and 2500 on the right amp and effects, you'll have an amazing tone

Hey man thanks for the killer quick reply.

So it's the amp? Does that mean my humble squier will sound really good with a major amp?

Also about the amp...the thing is I don't really like tube amps, they seems too fiddly/ crude but I hear they are the ones for great tone...but only if u crank up the volume til it crunches?

I like the idea of solid state amps, but will that/not get me great tone?

Quote by EFGuitar
the awesome tone is in the fingers. thats it. you just have to find it in your playing and yourself.

I heard that, but it doesnt make sense to me. How to fingers make a difference in tone? I know some people's area of tip striking the string may be bigger/ softer but how does it affect tone?
ok first, no you will not buy a 3,000-4,000 dollar guitar that is just stupid.

spend 1,500-2,000 on a guitar
and spend the remainder on a good tube amp.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by Ic3
1. depends , do you have back problems ? standing or siting ? if you're standing your strap could be set to long , shortening can help you play easier chords , not muting strings , no back pain

3. 3.000-4.000 dolars ? if so try out some gibson , LP and other stuff they're 3.000 and around
or maybe a fender telecaster or stratocaster , the tone is a combo of wood , electronics and amplifiers , effect , strings help to . maybe spent some money on effect pedals and a spider or marshal . what music do you play ? for me a LP junior has an inspiring sound . Maybe try out an half acoustick or explorer . The best would it be to go to the store and try them out

Oh yeah, I only play sitting, I don't do standing at all (maybe much later when I become a rockstar and strut on stage, yeah right).

I sit and the neck faces a bit outwards and up at like 45 degrees.
Quote by likewhatever101
Hey man thanks for the killer quick reply.

So it's the amp? Does that mean my humble squier will sound really good with a major amp?

Also about the amp...the thing is I don't really like tube amps, they seems too fiddly/ crude but I hear they are the ones for great tone...but only if u crank up the volume til it crunches?

I like the idea of solid state amps, but will that/not get me great tone?

I heard that, but it doesnt make sense to me. How to fingers make a difference in tone? I know some people's area of tip striking the string may be bigger/ softer but how does it affect tone?

You can get good solid state amps, but the louder you go with them, they won't sound as good. Unlike a tube amp, the more you push them, the better they'll sound.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
First of all; welcome to UG and welcome to the world of playing guitar. I hope you have a lot of fun playing. It really helps me at least.

1. Playing guitar is really best when standing up. Otherwise, try to refrain from leaning too much over your guitar. If it hurts, it can't be good (unless you ask Kanye West).

2. not sure what you mean here.

3. Generally speaking, a great guitar means great playability and, to some extent, good tone. This however lies mainly in the pickups. The amp is maybe 60% of the tone, while the pickups are 30% and guitar quality is the last 10%. This may however vary, as some factors in the guitar's construction also make a difference (neck joint especially - but the type neck joint doesnt make a guitar better or worse, just different). Amp is important. So are the fingers and picking technique. There is a great difference in how a riff sounds if two completely different guitarists played the same riff after eachother on the same guitar into the same amp. It lies in your alternate- or down-picking, your right hand strength, your palm- and left hand muting and where the pick strikes the string (closer or farther away from the bridge), your vibrato, how your bends sound and so on and so on.

And trust me, you won't be able to keep to a single guitar, trust me. Along the way you will tire of your guitar, fall in love with it, tire of it and drool over a different guitar, decide that you want another guitar for a different style and so on. Might as well get used to it.

Hope that helped.

Eskil
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Quote by likewhatever101
Oh yeah, I only play sitting, I don't do standing at all (maybe much later when I become a rockstar and strut on stage, yeah right).

I sit and the neck faces a bit outwards and up at like 45 degrees.

do you have the guitar sitting on your right leg? Or how do you have it? And what type of chair are you sitting on? What height is it at? It might be too low for you.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Eskil Rask
And trust me, you won't be able to keep to a single guitar, trust me. Along the way you will tire of your guitar, fall in love with it, tire of it and drool over a different guitar, decide that you want another guitar for a different style and so on. Might as well get used to it.

And you'll want different guitar for different tunings. Different tones (one guitar with humbuckers while another has single coils, or even active vs passive) bridge types, neck joints like mentioned. Even string gauge in the same tuning will have an effect on your tone. That's why you'll see some big time guitarists have many exactly the same guitars, where there's only small differences between them.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
And you'll want different guitar for different tunings. Different tones (one guitar with humbuckers while another has single coils, or even active vs passive) bridge types, neck joints like mentioned. Even string gauge in the same tuning will have an effect on your tone. That's why you'll see some big time guitarists have many exactly the same guitars, where there's only small differences between them.

QFT
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
Quote by Eskil Rask
First of all; welcome to UG and welcome to the world of playing guitar. I hope you have a lot of fun playing. It really helps me at least.

1. Playing guitar is really best when standing up. Otherwise, try to refrain from leaning too much over your guitar. If it hurts, it can't be good (unless you ask Kanye West).

2. not sure what you mean here.

3. Generally speaking, a great guitar means great playability and, to some extent, good tone. This however lies mainly in the pickups. The amp is maybe 60% of the tone, while the pickups are 30% and guitar quality is the last 10%. This may however vary, as some factors in the guitar's construction also make a difference (neck joint especially - but the type neck joint doesnt make a guitar better or worse, just different). Amp is important. So are the fingers and picking technique. There is a great difference in how a riff sounds if two completely different guitarists played the same riff after eachother on the same guitar into the same amp. It lies in your alternate- or down-picking, your right hand strength, your palm- and left hand muting and where the pick strikes the string (closer or farther away from the bridge), your vibrato, how your bends sound and so on and so on.

Hope that helped.

Eskil

Thanks man for the nice welcome.

I almost forgot the biggest question I had about guitar playing!!:

What does it mean to "play clean". I hear this argument like "buckethead plays clean, Slash plays not clean", what does that mean, because I want to play clean.

Does that mean you don't make noises by accidently hitting the guitar strings you don't use? Because right now when I fret a string sometimes when I release it it does a sort of mini pulloff sound is that not playing clean?
I have to agree that your buying plan isn't realistic. While I'm sure $3-4k guitars are nice, I can't help but feel that it's a case of diminishing returns. I think you'd be much better served by spending maybe $1k at most on your guitar and about the same on an amp. You'd be able to get it a lot sooner and chances are it won't be your last guitar and amp. When I bought my first "nice" ($500) guitar, I thought it'd be the last one I would ever need. A year later I spent a bit more on another one. That's just the way it goes.

About your back: If it hurts to play, you're doing something wrong--that's a simple rule that works every time. Look at the stickies at the top of this forum for Freepower's technique videos, he has one on posture that may help you.

As has been stated, a lot of tone comes from the amp, but pedals can definitely color your sound. I don't recall seeing what amp and pedals you have now, but if you spend just a little bit of money there, I think you'll be amazed at the variety of sounds you can produce. For example if you have a Line 6 Spider 15 watt amp with no pedals and upgrade to a tube amp with a 12" speaker and a few decent pedals, your tone will probably improve dramatically, and you'll be able to get all sorts of sounds that you couldn't before.

Good luck! It sounds like you're having fun, and I'm glad you're asking for help here, this is a great forum with a lot of knowledgeable people.
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender American Special Strat
Assorted Boss and Hardwire pedals
Vox AC15C1
Quote by DManTech
I have to agree that your buying plan isn't realistic. While I'm sure $3-4k guitars are nice, I can't help but feel that it's a case of diminishing returns. I think you'd be much better served by spending maybe $1k at most on your guitar and about the same on an amp. You'd be able to get it a lot sooner and chances are it won't be your last guitar and amp. When I bought my first "nice" ($500) guitar, I thought it'd be the last one I would ever need. A year later I spent a bit more on another one. That's just the way it goes.

About your back: If it hurts to play, you're doing something wrong--that's a simple rule that works every time. Look at the stickies at the top of this forum for Freepower's technique videos, he has one on posture that may help you.

As has been stated, a lot of tone comes from the amp, but pedals can definitely color your sound. I don't recall seeing what amp and pedals you have now, but if you spend just a little bit of money there, I think you'll be amazed at the variety of sounds you can produce. For example if you have a Line 6 Spider 15 watt amp with no pedals and upgrade to a tube amp with a 12" speaker and a few decent pedals, your tone will probably improve dramatically, and you'll be able to get all sorts of sounds that you couldn't before.

Good luck! It sounds like you're having fun, and I'm glad you're asking for help here, this is a great forum with a lot of knowledgeable people.

Yup, I don't want to spend 3,000-4,000 on a guitar just for fun it's just...if I'm gonna get one guitar I want to buy a perfect one for the rest of my life. I know what you mean about wanting to buy more, but some guy said "don't you really ever need one good guitar?" and I agree with that.

Also, do I even need an amp? I've just done a search on youtube about a line 6 POD whatever it is, it seems to act as a amp/effect tone everything, so if I just make that go through the pc and out into headphones, I don't like the idea of a big box that isn't even needed, or have I missed something?

Also, when buying a guitar, you can get it cheaper online right, even from the manufacturer, but you got no idea how it plays/sounds, so should you always buy a guitar from a store?
Quote by likewhatever101
Yup, I don't want to spend 3,000-4,000 on a guitar just for fun it's just...if I'm gonna get one guitar I want to buy a perfect one for the rest of my life. I know what you mean about wanting to buy more, but some guy said "don't you really ever need one good guitar?" and I agree with that.

Also, do I even need an amp? I've just done a search on youtube about a line 6 POD whatever it is, it seems to act as a amp/effect tone everything, so if I just make that go through the pc and out into headphones, I don't like the idea of a big box that isn't even needed, or have I missed something?

Also, when buying a guitar, you can get it cheaper online right, even from the manufacturer, but you got no idea how it plays/sounds, so should you always buy a guitar from a store?

dude it this a troll or what?
no one can be this stupid.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Quote by likewhatever101

I guess I just don't really feel like you're going to need to spend that much money to get a guitar you're very happy with. And who's to say that what you think is perfect now is what you're going to think is perfect in 5 years....or 10 years....etc? Tastes change. You're right that all you ever NEED is one guitar, but since when have we humans ever only had exactly what we needed and nothing more? I mean, it's up to you of course, but I think you'd be a lot happier if you bought something a bit cheaper to save some of your money for future purchases.

I suppose you can get by without an amp if you never plan to play for other people. Personally I get tired of wearing headphones all the time. Also, a lot of people believe that more expensive tube-based amps provide a better tone than something like the Pod (although the Pod is pretty popular and would certainly get you a lot effect options). I kind of think that if you want to spend a ton of money on a guitar you would be much happier with a nice amp too since the amp has such a big effect on your sound.

Modeling amps are another thing to consider, they aren't as high-end as a nice tube amp but they will get you a variety of amp models, similar to the Pod. The difference is that you'll also get the speaker and amplification in case you want to play with other people or not use headphones.

As for buying in a store vs. online: Regardless of where you buy, you absolutely need to play some guitars in person before you decide to buy. Every model of guitar has a different feel and it is noticeable. Youtube is not a good substitute for this. As for buying, many choose to buy in store so they can examine their guitar, but at the same time I know several people who have tried guitars in store, then purchased the same model online to find a cheaper price. Whatever you want to do there is fine, but personally if I was buying a very expensive instrument I would want to buy it from a store backed by a good return policy and/or warranty. And I would want to personally inspect it before purchasing.

Edit: Sorry, one more thing about the guitar. I really think you need to go try some in Guitar Center or something and see what you think. You're playing a Squier that probably cost less than $200. I have a Squier Strat and played it for the first few months of my guitar playing. About a year later I got a $500 Epiphone Les Paul and it completely rocked my world in terms of the way it sounded. The $800 Fender American Special Strat that I got in March is even better. You don't have to spend anywhere close to $3k to get a guitar that is going to completely blow that Squier out of the water.

You'd be way happier if you got something in the $500-1000 range now while you're learning rather than saving up for a long time to get an expensive instrument that you may not even enjoy as your musical tastes change.
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender American Special Strat
Assorted Boss and Hardwire pedals
Vox AC15C1
Last edited by DManTech at Jul 31, 2010,