I'm searching for a new guitar and just looking at all the different makes/models. I've come across the Yamaha LL6. What I am trying to understand is if this is a dread, jumbo, or a hybrid of some kind. I've pasted the specs from the Yamaha website below. The description says a dread, but the spec list says jumbo bodystyle. WTF is it?

Boasting a modified dreadnought body style, perfect for chord or fingerstyle work, and many premium features shared with the rest of Yamaha's flagship L-Series, the LL6 offers a winning combination of style, performance and outstanding value.
  • Jumbo Body
  • Solid Engelman Spruce Top
  • Rosewood Back & Sides
  • Mahogany and Rosewood 3ply Neck

EDIT:: I'm a moron, please forgive me. It says it right in the description that it's a modified dread. I'll leave this post up for other people who have brainfarts or can't read like me.
Last edited by silver8ack at Jul 31, 2010,
Terms such as "Jumbo" and "Dreadnought" have lost some of their original proprietary meaning. Now, we're just talking about a larger guitar of an approximate body shape. Each manufacturer does it a bit different.
Looking at the pics....It looks pretty much like a dread to me. "Modified" just means the dimensions are likely a bit different than say, a classic Martin dread.
the LL6 is a dread, the LJ6 is a jumbo. and btw, the gibson southern jumbo is a dread.
Haha oh man. I thought I was just starting to understand the acoustic body shapes. Damn manufacturers just can't keep to standards

Another question I have in another thread is regarding how manufacturers describe their guitars. For instance, the LL6 says the b&s are rosewood. It has no mention of laminate. So am I to assume that unless a guitar explicitly says "solid xxxxwood" that's it's laminate?
Quote by silver8ack
So am I to assume that unless a guitar explicitly says "solid xxxxwood" that's it's laminate?

That's exactly it, even "select" woods are laminate.