Page 1 of 2
is it possible to have a VERY high-output PU made from Bareknuckles???
or is that a limitation for them?

BUT: I also heard that it is possible to contact Seymour Duncan and have a custom set done (not an endorsement) just a set for an individual. Has anyone heard of this with SD??? (I knew this option was possible for 8-string guitarists) .

If I were to make a PU (I play metal, lots of clean stuff too, also, acoustic-sim type stuff as well) I would manufacture something like:

*Alnico V bars (the space and insulation is different in these apart from the regular magnets, whether alnico or ceramic)
*2-conductor wire
*EQ: B7/M6/T9
*Boost switch positions: off (moderate-high output level equivalent to Fatass and Turbo PUs) / 2nd pos: "high" output: equivalent to EMG81 and 85 / 3rd pos: 14db boost equivalent to SD blackouts ahb-2's / 4th pos: 24db boost equivalent to SD ahb-3's
*separate split-to-Piezo swich (Piezo's are REALLY low ouput, which are great for acoustic simulators, unlike single coils or humbuckers).

Of course I KNOW SD won't b able to do all of that in one PU, esp. w/ o/ an endorsement deal. But is anyone aware of these capabilities with Bareknuckles or SD???
Yeah. But the same can be said for DAR amps and other amps which use "weird" tubes...dammit I want a pair of KT120s..I might blow up my amp and burn my house down, but at least I'll go out in a blaze of glory
I imagine Bareknuckle would do something custom like that if you wanted. You could also try Bulldog Pickups (ex-Bareknuckle winder).

How hot are you wanting? Something like the Warpig is surely as hot as you really need to go, especially if you got it overwound which I'm sure they'd do for you.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
How do you KNOW that SD can't do all that? If you can do it with a pickup, they can do it. Endorsement deal is not needed. Anyone can call their custom shop and order. They get backed up and obviously famous artists and their more important clients get priority but anyone can order through the custom shop. Its just expensive. I almost ordered a set of the custom pickups that MJ winds for Page.
what pickups do you know that have a db boost function. these are passive pickups not pedal.
how high about are you looking for? warpigs are already 26k.

if you want a piezo that's an entirely different pickup...it would be a bridge/saddle replacement for your guitar.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Last edited by AcousticMirror at Jul 31, 2010,
Quote by C_majzer

are you kidding me?
Is this for real?
Bare knuckle make some really high output pickups...

I'm not sure what you're trieing to say but alot of the stuff you are asking for wouldnt actually be in the pickup and more the wiring of the guitar.
by the way why in the hell would you need all of those boosts. your guitar has a volume knob.
Go listen to Periphery. They use Bareknuckle pickups. Highest freakin' output pickups I've ever heard. There's a video of Bulb/Misha Mansoor where he put a Bareknuckle singlcoil into a telecaster and the tone was more brutal than and stock, metal oriented guitar I've ever heard.
Having the Highest Output pickup possible is a pointless act in this day and age. Let the gear do the work and you'll have more clarity. That includes metal. The reason high output pickups where invented where to push an amp harder before the days of preamp distortion. Now most amps have plenty of preamp distortion so going for the highest output pickup possible isnt always the answer for the best tone.
Quote by al112987
How do you KNOW that SD can't do all that? If you can do it with a pickup, they can do it. Endorsement deal is not needed. Anyone can call their custom shop and order. They get backed up and obviously famous artists and their more important clients get priority but anyone can order through the custom shop. Its just expensive. I almost ordered a set of the custom pickups that MJ winds for Page.

Intuition, just my strong instinct...but mabe they'll do it
Yeah. But the same can be said for DAR amps and other amps which use "weird" tubes...dammit I want a pair of KT120s..I might blow up my amp and burn my house down, but at least I'll go out in a blaze of glory
Last edited by C_majzer at Jul 31, 2010,
Quote by AcousticMirror
what pickups do you know that have a db boost function. these are passive pickups not pedal.
how high about are you looking for? warpigs are already 26k.

if you want a piezo that's an entirely different pickup...it would be a bridge/saddle replacement for your guitar.

there's a set of Blackouts from SD that a boost switch to them, but they're quite noisy, but I its nothing a noise gate can't take care of

I heard a very-well recorded demo on youtube of a conparision of SD's Dimebucker (which is very simular to the 81/85 set from EMG), but the output level I was looking for was like the Seymour Duncan Blackouts, but all of their blackouts are too harsh on the high single notes, but great for riffs on the other hand, just ruff on the high stuff.
Quote by coolstoryangus
are you kidding me?
Is this for real?
Bare knuckle make some really high output pickups...

I'm not sure what you're trieing to say but alot of the stuff you are asking for wouldnt actually be in the pickup and more the wiring of the guitar.

the Dimebuckers are higherout than the Warpig set, the Blackouts are higheroutput than the Dimebuckers, but harsher on the solo notes
Quote by coolstoryangus
Having the Highest Output pickup possible is a pointless act in this day and age. Let the gear do the work and you'll have more clarity. That includes metal. The reason high output pickups where invented where to push an amp harder before the days of preamp distortion. Now most amps have plenty of preamp distortion so going for the highest output pickup possible isnt always the answer for the best tone.

having gone from factory pickups from a starter pack to other higher output PUs i've noticed that I dont want something that is anymore higher than whats out there, just the equivalent to that with some personal touches, acheiving a fatter tone (but still keeping the high-magnetic feild) thus eliminating the need for overdrive (becuase OD usually colours my tone)
Quote by C_majzer
the Dimebuckers are higherout than the Warpig set, the Blackouts are higheroutput than the Dimebuckers, but harsher on the solo notes

From the SD/Bareknuckle site respectively:

Dimebucker - 16.25k
BKP Warpig - 22k

The tone charts don't list a DC resistance for the Blackouts, but the Warpig is normally regarded as just as hot, if not hotter than actives.
Quote by Kensai
Please, I eat gays for breakfast...

Quote by Kensai
I must be even further in the closet then
Quote by AcousticMirror
by the way why in the hell would you need all of those boosts. your guitar has a volume knob.

having used a small variety, but a variety of pickups I noticed the difference in the tone quality (I'll just call it that) between ustilizing the vol. knob, and using a switchable pickup or different pickups, besides it's too tedious for me in particular, it just it for some reason, just like how for some reason the volume pedal was invented, I guess its nice to have very highoutput for the heavy riffs, then a "down"boost or decrease in the pickup level for higher-regestering solos, the peizo-split option for he use of an acoustic sim. without sounding thin and or fake
Quote by Hidden Hippo
From the SD/Bareknuckle site respectively:

Dimebucker - 16.25k
BKP Warpig - 22k

The tone charts don't list a DC resistance for the Blackouts, but the Warpig is normally regarded as just as hot, if not hotter than actives.

wow thanks, it surely sounded more "evil" coming from the Dime than the Pig, but thanks again, I'll reconsider. Maybe it was the different PU EQ that cuased my illusion
What do you mean an OD colors your tone? That's what they are designed to do.

What guitar and amp are you using?

Considering you're probably using an already high gain amp, running high output pickups into that could make it muddy.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Last edited by Raijouta at Jul 31, 2010,
Bareknuckle high out put pickups are insane. Not only are they hot as funk, they have insane clarity. I've got a miracle man in my Charvel, by no means the hottest they do but it's an amazing pick up.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Hidden hippo already covered it...but
warpipigs are hotter then dimebuckers and blackouts.
and it really doesn't matter unless you have the right amp.
what amp are you using.
This thread is confusing me. The last two options in the OP are to do with electronics in the guitar, not pickups. The EQ thing you listed is meaningless, 4 conductor does everything 2 conductor has so it shouldn't be a factor in deciding in this case and AlNiCo V really means nothing for tone. There's no particular sound that AlNiCo V gives, it's much more in the rest of the design of the pickup.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by AcousticMirror
what amp are you using.

To save some time, once you answer he's gonna recommend a Nitro, a Ktre, and an SLO.

EDIT: Oh Shi-

Didn't notice he'd changed his sig to exactly that
Last edited by Seref at Jul 31, 2010,
Quote by Seref
To save some time, once you answer he's gonna recommend a Nitro, a Ktre, and an SLO.

the slo isn't even on my list. so there.
Quote by AcousticMirror
the slo isn't even on my list. so there.

Wrote that before I even saw

Anyway...

On the subject of getting a custom pickup (if that's still on the table), I'd actually recommend Seymour over BKP. I love Bare Knuckles and they make some great pickups (working on getting a Black Dog set for a guitar build I have in the works), but if I was going to have someone custom-make me a complex pup set I'd rather it be the big dawgs with all the fancy machines and money than the guys hand-making pups out of an attic.
Last edited by Seref at Jul 31, 2010,
Quote by C_majzer
eliminating the need for overdrive (becuase OD usually colours my tone)

Why don't you use a clean boost, like an MXR Micro Amp? It gives you more output and doesn't colour the tone
Quote by C_majzer
MY guages: 15,20,24p,52,75,95 for Drop A#

i know this is OT but do you seriously use them for brop Bb? i only ask cause drop Bb is my main tuning and the lowest gauge i use is 60. where the hell do you get them?

or have i just been trolled

cheers

Nath
Quote by clayman696
Why don't you use a clean boost, like an MXR Micro Amp? It gives you more output and doesn't colour the tone

The Micro Amp is definitely not transparent. Transparent would be something like an Xotic RC Booster.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Seymour Duncans are definitely one of the more overrated pickups out there if you ask me(along with Dimarzio, and possibly EMG). I'd say SD really only has 3 or 4 pickups that I somewhat like. But still aren't all that great if you ask me. The only real good one to me is the Jimmy Page Customs.

Basically, Bareknuckles own Seymours
Quote by handbanana
Seymour Duncans are definitely one of the more overrated pickups out there if you ask me(along with Dimarzio, and possibly EMG). I'd say SD really only has 3 or 4 pickups that I somewhat like. But still aren't all that great if you ask me. The only real good one to me is the Jimmy Page Customs.

It all comes down to personal taste.

They are both handmade, quality pickups. Since SD has become a very sucessful company, alot of people try denouncing them as mass produced crap.

Seymour Duncans, as well as Bare Knuckles are great pickups. Both offer many options for people of all different tastes and genres.
Gear:

Ibanez RG350DX w/ Seymour Duncans and an OFR
Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 Head
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Quote by 2841981
i know this is OT but do you seriously use them for brop Bb? i only ask cause drop Bb is my main tuning and the lowest gauge i use is 60. where the hell do you get them?

or have i just been trolled

cheers

Nath

Yea, I really do use them for Bb (it's my main tuning also) I even tune these for Drop B also (although seldom). I order them from the D'daddariostrings.com website. There you can order "singles" - *including BASS singles* (e.g. the 75, and the 95) - so it is indeed a "custom" set of mine, just a little more expensive and a little more inconvenient than arriving at the store and picking up a quik pre-made set.

but it makes it easier to play (ironically), cuz of MORE tension, EXCEPT: trills - those are harder on this set, but still doable tho. Although I prefer GHS over D'daddario but D'add's strings are good to IMHO.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Highest output passive pickups. Right herrrrre. Those Neodymium magnets probably make for one hell of an inductance.

inductance?? Damn I'm stupid.
Bareknuckles are actually handwound/scatterwound and Seymour Duncans are not. SD uses machines to mass produce them.
Gear

Mesa/Boogie Mark V Head
Mills Acoustics Mach 212B
Peavey Vypyr 15w
ESP LTD EC-1000 guitar (BKP Nailbombs)
Fender American Standard Strat
PRS Custom 24
Dunlop KH Signature Wah
Menatone Red Snapper
Boss DD-7 Delay
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Quote by coolstoryangus

This. I went from active emgs to passive SD's and the gain difference was negligible anyway. Besides it's not anything that you couldn't offset by upping the gain a little anyway.
Guitars
Amps
Quote by C_majzer

Bareknuckles already make many extremely-high output pickups

BUT: I also heard that it is possible to contact Seymour Duncan and have a custom set done (not an endorsement) just a set for an individual. Has anyone heard of this with SD??? (I knew this option was possible for 8-string guitarists) .

I havent personally heard of this, but sure why not just give them a ring or shoot them an e-mail

If I were to make a PU (I play metal, lots of clean stuff too, also, acoustic-sim type stuff as well) I would manufacture something like:

Sure go for it

*Alnico V bars (the space and insulation is different in these apart from the regular magnets, whether alnico or ceramic)

Huh? If you want high output i'd be settling down with a ceramic or neodynium magnet

*2-conductor wire

Odd choice but fair enough

*EQ: B7/M6/T9

This really means next to nothing. A pickups natural eq curve can change over time and doesnt really affect your tone anywhere near as much as you amp would. If you wanted an eq similar to this before your amp buy an eq pedal and stick it between your amp and guitar.

*Boost switch positions: off (moderate-high output level equivalent to Fatass and Turbo PUs) / 2nd pos: "high" output: equivalent to EMG81 and 85 / 3rd pos: 14db boost equivalent to SD blackouts ahb-2's / 4th pos: 24db boost equivalent to SD ahb-3's

This is all to do with wiring and boost chips. You will not be able to find a pickup active or passive that can do all of that on it's own

*separate split-to-Piezo swich (Piezo's are REALLY low ouput, which are great for acoustic simulators, unlike single coils or humbuckers).

Yes we know what Piezo's are... sounds like you don't. A piezo is completly different to an electric guitar pickup and would be found in your bridge.

Of course I KNOW SD won't b able to do all of that in one PU, esp. w/ o/ an endorsement deal. But is anyone aware of these capabilities with Bareknuckles or SD???

Well... no. The reason no one knows any pickups like this is since its impossible to make a pickup that has a boost and a piezo in-built into it. Go do some more research and and then come back for suggestions
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Quote by RocknRory
Bareknuckles are actually handwound/scatterwound and Seymour Duncans are not. SD uses machines to mass produce them.

this is probably the only smart thing said in this thread
Quote by handbanana

Honest question, have you ever tried a custom shop Seymour Duncan pickup before in your life? What are you comparing here a $300 set of Pagebuckers and a $150 set of '59s?

If you are throwing Seymour Duncan in with the likes of Dimarzio and EMG then you really do not seem to understand the whole concept of their custom shop. The Pagebuckers that come from their custom shop cannot be found in any store, you custom order it and they handmake it. Just like every single other one of the pickups that come out of their custom shop. When Slash plays Alnico II Pros, he calls up MJ at Seymour Duncan. When EVH wants a pickup, he calls up MJ at Seymour Duncan. I have played a set of Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pros that came out of the custom shop along with the Duncan '78 which both absolutely killed. And if the '80s JBJs are any indication, the custom shop JBs are also far better than what you buy off the shelf today at Guitar Center. Maybe I'm wrong and you HAVE played several custom models (they're not that common, very few people are willing to pay $300 for A2Pros), but based on your posts, it really doesn't seem like it.
Quote by handbanana
this is probably the only smart thing said in this thread

Really? I thought it was a pretty stupid comment. At least it was stupid if it was meant to insinuate that Duncans are inferior because Bareknuckles are "scatterwound" and Duncans are not.

The only reason why people scatterwind now is because they want to replicate the winding patterns of PAFs. The irony of this is that PAFs were MACHINE wound. And the even funnier thing about this, is that Seymour Duncan bought the old Gibson winding machines and now uses those to wind his humbuckers! He just stuck automatic counters on them so that they stopped at a certain number of winds so that the pickups are more consistent than the old PAFs were (thus the '59s are around the same DC-R, and Seth Lovers are around the same DC-R, etc.)
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 1, 2010,
Quote by Guitar-KID125
Bareknuckles already make many extremely-high output pickups
Yes, they make many.

I havent personally heard of this, but sure why not just give them a ring or shoot them an e-mail

Sure go for it

Huh? If you want high output i'd be settling down with a ceramic or neodynium magnet
Poor ignorant fools... Still believing Alnico V doesn't make for a great high output pickup. Plus, there are still those who don't know about Alnico 8 which blends the massive lows and output of Ceramic with the muscular midrange and smooth high end of Alnico V.

Odd choice but fair enough

This really means next to nothing. A pickups natural eq curve can change over time and doesnt really affect your tone anywhere near as much as you amp would. If you wanted an eq similar to this before your amp buy an eq pedal and stick it between your amp and guitar.
True, and that setting was obviously based on Seynmour Duncan's EQ comparisons, which almost all have scooped midrange. In fact, the higher the output, the more midrange you get.

This is all to do with wiring and boost chips. You will not be able to find a pickup active or passive that can do all of that on it's own

Yes we know what Piezo's are... sounds like you don't. A piezo is completly different to an electric guitar pickup and would be found in your bridge.
You could have gone into a bit more explination, like how the Piezo uses crystals in the bridge saddles to transfer the physical vibration of the strings through fiber-optic cables out to an XLR jack, which is then sent to the PA or an Acoustic amp.

Well... no. The reason no one knows any pickups like this is since its impossible to make a pickup that has a boost and a piezo in-built into it. Go do some more research and and then come back for suggestions

Quote by C_majzer

Uhm.. Have you not heard the Nailbomb or Warpig? My friend's Nailbomb was so high output it blew up his practice amp at the time.
Quote by al112987
*blahblahblah*
The only reason why people scatterwind now is because they want to replicate the winding patterns of PAFs. The irony of this is that PAFs were MACHINE wound. And the even funnier thing about this, is that Seymour Duncan bought the old Gibson winding machines and now uses those to wind his humbuckers! He just stuck automatic counters on them so that they stopped at a certain number of winds so that the pickups are more consistent than the old PAFs were (thus the '59s are around the same DC-R, and Seth Lovers are around the same DC-R, etc.)

Yes, that's true, yes hand-wound generally refers to the wires being guided into the bobbin by hand, which is how the old PAFs were... Primarily by women, to be exact.

Another thing about scatter-winding: It eliminates nasty ultra-high end frequencies found in most evenly-wound pickups.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Aug 1, 2010,
Duncan makes some really great pickups. They also hand wind and scatterwind some of their pickups, depending on what sound they want from the pickup. They're still very much made by hand the way that they have been forever. And yes, as was mentioned before, they've got at least one of the old Gibson winders so if anyone knows how to wind a pickup properly it's SD.

Anyway, from the original post it's quite clear that this is someone who doesn't quite know enough about pickups to order a custom set. The boost switch would engage a clean boost or preamp, so that's not part of the pickup design. A piezo is not built into the magnetic pickup and would again be a separate part added onto the guitar wiring.

Long story short, save your money and learn more about pickups, and play more pickups. I don't think it's time yet.

And to answer the original question, yes, SD will make a custom set for anyone who can pay for them. I've had a few custom shop pickups and they are very, very good.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/custom-shop/terms-and-polic/
Quote by Shinozoku

Yes, that's true, yes hand-wound generally refers to the wires being guided into the bobbin by hand, which is how the old PAFs were... Primarily by women, to be exact.

Another thing about scatter-winding: It eliminates nasty ultra-high end frequencies found in most evenly-wound pickups.
Old PAFs were ENTIRELY machine wound. The women were there to turn off and on the winders after a set amount of time. No one guided the wire on by hand. This is a well established fact. The scatterwinding is PAFs is not because of handwinding, it was due to the quirks of their machines.

Seymour Duncan uses these winders, thus they do not handwind their humbuckers. They use the Leesonas. Why do it by hand when you can use the same machine that did it originally? Same with Jon Gundry at Throbak. He also uses the Leesonas to wind his PAF replicas, completely machine wound, only "hand" involved is the final assembly. And Throbaks are probably the closest pickup to the old PAFs on the market today.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 1, 2010,
Page 1 of 2