It seems alot of what I listen to at the minute is cool, but doesn't really leave a lasting impression on me. I'm listening to all chillwave or whatever it's been called, and slower stuff like that.

I'd really like to get into more interesting stuff that feels like it's doing something, if you know what I mean. Not lo-fi, or HTRK, or anything. A new idea or something. Anything would be cool.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
The Smashing Pumpkins, The SilverSun Pickups, Explosions in the Sky, Placebo, Billy Corgan, At The Drive-In, The Mars Volta, etc.
Quote by herby190
When I saw that, I thought of musical notes.... my elementary school teachers taught them as "tee-tees" "ta-tas" and a bunch of other nonsense....
Mono, Lydia, The National, Oceana (their EP Clean Head in particular), Ride, Spiritualized, Stars, Television.

All very original bands, you might not like all of them though.
Holy Crap. These guys are about the weirdest band in the world. REALLY different. Most bizarre concept album ever.

This may be at once the best and the worst thing I have ever
heard.

http://www.last.fm/music/My+Neighbor+The+Cannibal/Songs+From+The+Edge+Of+Nowhere

Everything is totally improvised. The whole album was recorded in a single night on an Ipod nano while camping. (According to legend)
Last edited by BlackHandJack at Jul 31, 2010,
Josiah Leming, Bon Iver, A Fine Frenzy, Iron & Wine, Molly Marlette. They're a little...bubbly but soothing. Good mix[:
Guided By Voices - literally hundreds of songs to choose from, covering everything from whisper-quiet ballads to balls-out rock.

Lots of their stuff is pretty lo-fi though, so here's a selection of some of their more produced ones:

I Am A Tree

Game Of Pricks

Best Of Jill Hives

My Valuable Hunting Knife

Motor Away

Enjoy
Arctic Monkeys, The Killers, Kasabian, Kings of Leon.
● ● ●
● ● ●
● ● ●
● ● ●
● ● ●.........● ● ●
● ● ●.......● ● ●
● ● ● ● ● ● ●
● ● ● ● ● ●
● ● ● ● ● ● ●
● ● ●.......● ● ●
● ● ●.........● ● ●
● ● ●.........● ● ●
● ● ●.........● ● ●
Porcupine Tree, Mogwai, Oceansize, Arcade Fire.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a non-working cat. - Douglas Adams
Quote by avalonfour
Dawes.

Had to log on for the first time in a long time to say thanks, Dawes is great.

If you're looking for something new and different then I recommend 'The Mint Chicks'. A mix of different styles with a punky edge. They're from New Zealand but live in America now. The best album to start off with is their second album 'Crazy Yes, Dumb No' (which won a few awards in NZ). Their first album is also good, but more experimental.
The Mars Volta, Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, Animal Collective, Sonic Youth, Tool, The Flaming Lips, all very unique sounding and insanely good bands.
Quote by Ir a+infinitive
The Smashing Pumpkins, The SilverSun Pickups, Explosions in the Sky, Placebo, Billy Corgan, At The Drive-In, The Mars Volta, etc.

Listen to this man. NOW. I'll throw in Eels.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Cabaret Voltaire. Really weird post-punk/industrial. Well, before The Crackdown, they were.

EDIT: Also, Drive Like Jehu.
Last edited by Holy Katana at Aug 16, 2010,
The Books definately have an interesting and original sound.
She Had An Abortion That She Made Me Pay For
I'd definitely recommend some Flaming Lips (start with Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots) or for something really different, Godspeed You! Black Emperor (start with F# A# Infinity)
Last.fm

"Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time."

You should read this blog:

http://wp.me/pVPsC-3y

Lots of great music suggestions and some legit CD reviews! Lots of newer music, indie stuff, but some 90's stuff too, and a bit of classic rock as well.
Quote by UncleRemus
I'd definitely recommend some Flaming Lips (start with Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots) or for something really different, Godspeed You! Black Emperor (start with F# A# Infinity)

This, but start with The Soft Bulletin rather than Yoshimi.
Health. They're different. I don't know how you might feel about them, though, since you said no HTRK, and they're a bit like them.
I guess I'll come here to ask this..

Anyone wanna recommend me some good pop music from the past year or so?

edit: I just actually read this thread and realized it's not actually a "rec" thread but whatever, the question still stands.
I'm an asshole.
Last edited by lookpizza at Sep 5, 2010,
<3 that's actually right in the area of exactly the type of stuff I was looking for
I'm an asshole.
● ● ●
● ● ●
● ● ●
● ● ●
● ● ●.........● ● ●
● ● ●.......● ● ●
● ● ● ● ● ● ●
● ● ● ● ● ●
● ● ● ● ● ● ●
● ● ●.......● ● ●
● ● ●.........● ● ●
● ● ●.........● ● ●
● ● ●.........● ● ●
Last edited by HumanBrightside at Sep 5, 2010,
Everybody should listen to The Frames!! Recently, the frontman Glen Hansard has gained more fame through his role in the small budget Irish indie film, Once, where he plays a busker who develops a complex working and romantic relationship with a Czech immigrant (Marketa Irglova). Glen and Marketa wrote the whole soundtrack under the band title The Swell Season and they are also worth checking out, but in my opinion, Hansard was at his best beforehand when he was fronting The Frames...something he has said he will return to eventually. Here's a few of their best:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y4-n85lpCk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMccPJqyg0o&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy5AKZxmXlM&feature=related
Quote by lookpizza
I guess I'll come here to ask this..

Anyone wanna recommend me some good pop music from the past year or so?

edit: I just actually read this thread and realized it's not actually a "rec" thread but whatever, the question still stands.

Marnie Stern makes some good pop music. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-waJkiflb0
Here's a wee list of bands that I think everyone should hear at least once.

Sparklehorse - one of my favourites, RIP Mark Linkous!
Dandy Warhols.
Mercury Rev.
I am Kloot (Life in a Day is my favourite song
The Breeders - love them.
The Doves.
Mazzy Star.

Not all but enough for now.
This thread needs more Neutral Milk Hotel. I've listened to In The Aeroplane Over The Sea 3-4 times in the last 24 hours alone and many more since I've found it a few weeks ago. Haven't listened to any of their other stuff, but this album is ****ing amazing.
Quote by UntoExistence
this is for you mike. i love this song. so catchy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no7fy9mDbpQ

This is actually pretty good. I feel like a hipster more and more every day.
Last edited by cornmancer at Nov 4, 2010,
Quote by Hereiwas
It seems alot of what I listen to at the minute is cool, but doesn't really leave a lasting impression on me. I'm listening to all chillwave or whatever it's been called, and slower stuff like that.

I'd really like to get into more interesting stuff that feels like it's doing something, if you know what I mean. Not lo-fi, or HTRK, or anything. A new idea or something. Anything would be cool.

Jaga Jazzist - One Armed Bandit (electronic jazz)
Mono - Hymn To The Immortal Wind (post-rock with orchestral instruments)
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F#A#~ (post-apocalyptic/post-rock)
LSD and the Search For God - LSD and the Search for God (shoegaze)
Boris with Michio Kurihara - Rainbow (noisy psychedelic rock)
Sleepy Sun - Fever (60's psy rock worship)
Swans - My Father Will Guide Me Up A Rope To The Sky (dark folk/industrial/noise)
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.