Page 1 of 2
They've been playing literally nothing but generic D minor metalcore since 2001, they've been writing about nothing but gothic-tinged emo fodder since 2001, and suddenly since they unfortunately lost a drummer everyone treats them as if they're heroes of metal? I mean sure, I learned Unholy Confessions, I started playing guitar at around the time that album was released and it was a perfect fit for a first song to learn, insanely straightforward, really repetitive guitar work, the archetypal metal 0-5-7-8 pattern a million bands did before them and a million bands have done since.

I mean Mike Portnoy chose to tour with them so there must be something there I'm just not seeing. I've seen them live numerous times (though never bought a ticket to a specific A7X shows), and it's always messy, sloppy solo'ing, etc. About the only thing their live show has going for it is that they have a lefty and a righty guitarist so they can do the cliched back to back thing and both be facing the stage.

I'm genuinely not trying to flame them, I can listen to it, it's not bad by any means, it's just not.. the forefront of metal. Is it?
No, it's not. How many A7X threads do you see in here?

Since this forum is the epitome of metal trends, they're not fronting any field of metal.
I really don't like them that much either. M. Shadows has the same vocal melodies for every song...
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
They are in no way "Heroes of Metal", no where close.. But I personally like A7X very much, since way back when Waking the Fallen was released.

Sure, they're nothing great. They're not crazy songwriters, nor do they write mind-blowing solo's that melt faces.

But who cares? It's MUSIC. Enjoy it, for what it is. Not how it is (If that makes any sense).

I listen to it because it's catchy, the riffs are fun and yeah, they're simple. But why does something need to be complex to be amazing?

Smoke on the Water, anyone..?
Woah woah woah, first start with Nickelback. If anyone can answer why people love them then you have the answer to every question of that nature.
plus they all have really homosexual stage names

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
I've enjoyed listening to their music because, first of all, the guitar playing (on the album, and more recently, live) is phenomenal, and M. Shadows' singing is great. In addition, they have matured significantly as a band while others have stayed in one place. I have to say, I'm not sure whether the band will continue to be interesting to me now that the Rev is gone - his high-pitched scream and the bizarre lyrics and music he brought to the band were what really drew me in.
Lol I like what PowerofGlove said, but I mean everyone has to start with music somewhere if it weren't for A7X I wouldn't be into the guitar at all
Gear
Ibanez GSA60
Jackson DXMGT
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest
Ibanez S470 DXQM
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000
Crate Halfstack and Crate 50W Tube Head
Boss MT-2, CH-1, CS-3, NS-2, & Cry Baby
Crate XT65R
Brain haemorrhage.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
I completely agree with everyones opinion; I feel more or less the same way. I realized that i don't like them that much but i still listen to them for the guitar work, melodies, etc...

Also: M. Shadows sometimes sounds like he's singing through his nose.
Last edited by guitaristren at Jul 31, 2010,
I love you for this. Here's what I think:
Kids that want to be "extreme" or "metal" or whatever listen to them, because they can't handle real brutal music. They think the lyrics "show how they feel" because they want to be seen as "outsiders" or whatever. The music is simple, so unintellegent "rockers" can understand it, and they think they're cool when they learn a song that isn't smoke on the water. I personally don't understand why, but lots of bands get bigger when a member dies. Pantera did, Metallica kinda did, etc. I have a feeling that Portnoy kinda got guilted into doing this. Everything I've read about it makes it sound like The Rev or whoever masturbated to Mike, and A7X was probably like "Hey, let's abuse this and get a good drummer!" Mike didn't even write his own parts on the album, he played The Revs. So, there's my 23 cents worth.
Where do you all come from?
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
I honestly do not see why anyone hates on a band (Not specifically A7X) so much. If you don't like it, okay that's your opinion. You don't NEED to like it.

If there's an artist/band/song you don't like, FINE. There's no problem with that. But don't bitch about it every chance you get.

Someone will like one thing, another person won't.

In my personal opinion, I just see everything as music, and treat it as such.. If I like it, awesome. I listen to it. If I don't, awesome. I won't listen to it.
I love how when there's a band thread everyone can rally against, they all come out of the woodwork.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Oh, please, sugarlumps, I'm not in the mood tonight. You're making my migraine get worse...
If I took this cigarette and put it out on you...

...would you love me?
It says they all joined months, if not years ago... Who are they?! Where are they from?
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by TheAbsentOne
I honestly do not see why anyone hates on a band (Not specifically A7X) so much. If you don't like it, okay that's your opinion. You don't NEED to like it.

If there's an artist/band/song you don't like, FINE. There's no problem with that. But don't bitch about it every chance you get.

Someone will like one thing, another person won't.

In my personal opinion, I just see everything as music, and treat it as such.. If I like it, awesome. I listen to it. If I don't, awesome. I won't listen to it.

Justify your opinion.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Just because they aren't an amazingly technically skilled band doesn't mean its not good. Think of all the biggest rock bands in history, few of them were extremely complex. There's more to music than skill, sometimes its about the overall sound and feeling of the song, which appeals to different people. You obviously don't like the sound that Avenged Sevenfold has going, so you point out their flaws. How about you listen to what you like, and live and let live.
Also Avenged Sevenfold threads belong in the Hardcore forum (for some strange reason).
Last edited by ColbyHink at Jul 31, 2010,
Quote by eazy-c
Justify your opinion.

What do I need to justify?

Quote by ColbyHink
Just because they aren't an amazingly technically skilled band doesn't mean its not good. Think of all the biggest rock bands in history, none of it was extremely complex. There's more to music than skill, sometimes its about the overall sound and feeling of the song, which appeals to different people. You obviously don't like the sound that Avenged Sevenfold has going, so you point out their flaws. How about you listen to what you like, and live and let live.
Also Avenged Sevenfold belongs in the Hardcore forum (for some strange reason).

Why shouldn't people make it known when they consider a certain band's music bad?
Quote by ChemicalFire
Quote by freddaahh
It says they all joined months, if not years ago... Who are they?! Where are they from?
Really... who are they? Are they a threat to our beliefs?

So we descend upon them just like vengeful wolves. :|

*starry-eyed*

...would you love me?
Quote by TheAbsentOne
What do I need to justify?

This perhaps.

I just see everything as music, and treat it as such.. If I like it, awesome. I listen to it. If I don't, awesome. I won't listen to it.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
This thread is like going up to a Christian person and telling him that God isn't real. It's obviously not going to change his opinion, it'll just piss him off.
Quote by eazy-c
Why shouldn't people make it known when they consider a certain band's music bad?

I'm not saying they can't say they don't like a band. It's all personal opinion, which is fine. But when you go off saying they are untalented or they just outright suck, you kind of cross the line. You can have an opinion, but there's no need to flame/bash/hate on a band and make it publicly known.

Again, it's my opinion, and if you don't like. that's perfectly fine. There's no need to argue over something like this.

Now, enjoy some music.

EDIT:
Quote by freddaahh
This perhaps.

So, wait. What I'm getting from this is.. You're saying that even if you don't like a band, you're going to listen to it so you can hate on it.. More?
I'm saying that if I like some type of music, some band, some artist.. I'll listen to it obviously. But if I don't, then I won't listen to it. It's simple as that. I don't see where the problem lies..
Last edited by TheAbsentOne at Jul 31, 2010,
Quote by TheAbsentOne
I'm not saying they can't say they don't like a band. It's all personal opinion, which is fine. But when you go off saying they are untalented or they just outright suck, you kind of cross the line. You can have an opinion, but there's no need to flame/bash/hate on a band and make it publicly known.

Again, it's my opinion, and if you don't like. that's perfectly fine. There's no need to argue over something like this.

Now, enjoy some music.

Why are people trying to make points about nothing? No one said they weren't technical or that they were bad because they weren't technical. OP said that they are repetitive and that they are sloppy live. If you record a song, you should be able to play it live close to perfectly. Thats the rule of guitar. If you're just gonna be sloppy, you might as well record it sloppy. And why can't people have opinions if they're negative to the band? That's THEIR opinion and they can have it regardless if it is negative or positive.
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
I'm not a big fan of them either. I only truly can say I like two of their songs. MIA and Lost. But I've heard their newest album, and I like the new sound of the drums in this album. I don't know if the new drummer likes to use the double-base more or what :X. Or maybe it's the same guy, before he died, I don't know, like I said I don't really listen to them.
Quote by GibsonMan321
Why are people trying to make points about nothing? No one said they weren't technical or that they were bad because they weren't technical. OP said that they are repetitive and that they are sloppy live. If you record a song, you should be able to play it live close to perfectly. Thats the rule of guitar. If you're just gonna be sloppy, you might as well record it sloppy. And why can't people have opinions if they're negative to the band? That's THEIR opinion and they can have it regardless if it is negative or positive.

I can't speak for previous live shows, but on the 27th at Mayhem, both Gates and Vengeance played amazing live. Not sloppy at all. It was my first time seeing them and for the foreseeable future the only time
Quote by GibsonMan321
If you record a song, you should be able to play it live close to perfectly. Thats the rule of guitar.

there are no "rules" to music, you sedentary prick.
⚑⚑⚑⚑⚑
Last edited by RPExecutor at Jul 31, 2010,
Quote by TheAbsentOne
So, wait. What I'm getting from this is.. You're saying that even if you don't like a band, you're going to listen to it so you can hate on it.. More?
I'm saying that if I like some type of music, some band, some artist.. I'll listen to it obviously. But if I don't, then I won't listen to it. It's simple as that. I don't see where the problem lies..
Tosh. I am reasonably sure that it was your borderline-offensive use of the word "awesome" that set him off.

I got no problem with that though, bro. Haters gonna hate, yeah.
Awesome five:

...would you love me?
Quote by TheAbsentOne
I can't speak for previous live shows, but on the 27th at Mayhem, both Gates and Vengeance played amazing live. Not sloppy at all. It was my first time seeing them and for the foreseeable future the only time
His faster solos like on Scream or Afterlife are REALLY sloppy in all circumstances. Including recording.
Quote by we_built_a_tree
Tosh. I am reasonably sure that it was your borderline-offensive use of the word "awesome" that set him off.

I got no problem with that though, bro. Haters gonna hate, yeah.
Awesome five:

I'm re-reading my posts above, and obviously I'm missing something, or I'm just an idiot. What was it about the word "Awesome" that was offensive? (Also which one. I feel like an imbecile)
It wasn't meant to be offensive. Here I'll restate it:

If I like a band/artist/whatever, I'll listen to it. But if I don't like an artist/whatever, I won't listen to it. It's as simple as that.

Yeah that sounds better, I hope?

EDIT:
Quote by Steve08
His faster solos like on Scream or Afterlife are REALLY sloppy in all circumstances. Including recording.

They didn't play either, so.. I can't speak on behalf of songs they didn't play obviously. Lol.
I'm rating this thread 2/5.
Quote by PwarDuex
your name is about as funny as a burning orphanage

Page 1 of 2